Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing really

Re: Disappointing really

Here we go20210510_065147.jpeg20210510_065130.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T580 using Ausfish mobile app

Red and Black wires from the white cable are the triggers. Same test as before but pull the trigger wires off the switch and touch them to the circuit breaker post. Clunk in both directions means faulty switch. Try the other 3 terminals on the switch if so.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Red and Black wires from the white cable are the triggers. Same test as before but pull the trigger wires off the switch and touch them to the circuit breaker post. Clunk in both directions means faulty switch. Try the other 3 terminals on the switch if so.
    Sorry for being doughy, but which is the circuit breaker post.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    In the top image ( that shows the rear of the switch) you can see the switch has 3 spare terminals, looks to me like the switch is a double pole switch.
    You should test that with a multimeter.
    It’s possible the issue is a poor contact on the switch terminals that are being used now.
    If you move the 3 smaller gauge wires over to the next spare terminals it will at least prove if the switch terminals currently in use are the issue (poor connection) and you might find the issue is resolved by using the 3 spare terminals.
    If it still doesn’t function in both directions then you have to diagnose connections elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for being doughy, but which is the circuit breaker post.
    Either of the electrical contacts

Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    In the top image ( that shows the rear of the switch) you can see the switch has 3 spare terminals, looks to me like the switch is a double pole switch.
    You should test that with a multimeter.
    It’s possible the issue is a poor contact on the switch terminals that are being used now.
    If you move the 3 smaller gauge wires over to the next spare terminals it will at least prove if the switch terminals currently in use are the issue (poor connection) and you might find the issue is resolved by using the 3 spare terminals.
    If it still doesn’t function in both directions then you have to diagnose connections elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    thanks I'll give that a burl.

Either of the electrical contacts
    Hahahahahaha You really have no idea how ignorant I am.

Hahahahahaha You really have no idea how ignorant I am.
    🙄I'm developing somewhat of an idea😂👍

So ive done both of those things and I'm just getting clicking when I put the red or black wire onto the other post, and also when I transfer the wires to the adjacent three posts on the switch.

Put it back together using the other 3 terminals and see what happens.

Put it back together using the other 3 terminals and see what happens.
    Yeah nothing, worth replacing the switch? I need to use the multimeter dont i

Yep. Need to look for voltage drop. Set to DC volts. Black lead on the black wire bolt terminal on the solenoid that comes from the battery. Red meter lead on the breaker posts, one at a time and push the switch. Should be 12 volts give or take and not drop much when switch is pushed. If this checks ok, move red lead to red wire bolt on solenoid that is connected to breaker and
    try switch again.

If these read ok, put the meter probes on the terminals on the solenoid that connect to the winch and press the switch. Should see + volts when switch pushed one way and - volts the other. If the reading is 12 volts at this stage, it's a cable fault which we will confirm. If it's a lot lower, it's the solenoid.

Yep. Need to look for voltage drop. Set to DC volts. Black lead on the black wire bolt terminal on the solenoid that comes from the battery. Red meter lead on the breaker posts, one at a time and push the switch. Should be 12 volts give or take and not drop much when switch is pushed. If this checks ok, move red lead to red wire bolt on solenoid that is connected to breaker and
    try switch again.

If these read ok, put the meter probes on the terminals on the solenoid that connect to the winch and press the switch. Should see + volts when switch pushed one way and - volts the other. If the reading is 12 volts at this stage, it's a cable fault which we will confirm. If it's a lot lower, it's the solenoid.
    Ok so when I do this I get - 12 volts when the red lead is touched to the black terminal leading to the motor when the switch is pressed down I get nothing when the Chris switch is pressed up on the black wire nor do I get any reading in voltage when I put the red wire on the red post

Ok so when I do this I get - 12 volts when the red lead is touched to the black terminal leading to the motor when the switch is pressed down I get nothing when the Chris switch is pressed up on the black wire nor do I get any reading in voltage when I put the red wire on the red post

I've now got a video of what happens when I attach the leads to them got me to bed I can't download it unfortunately I guess I could probably send it to someone

Think we are "getting our wires crossed" in translation. Picture is worth a thousand words.

Lone star solenoid.jpg
    This is a Lone Star solenoid. The terminals we are going to test with are the big bolt ones.

They are labelled +, - , M1 and M2.

Make sure that all the wiring, including the motor connections are as it was before we started all this - all connected.

Do these checks and report back.

Turn on the circuit breaker.

1. Red meter lead to + terminal, black meter lead to - terminal. Should read 12 volts.

2. Now press the switch for down - record voltage (should still be 12)

3. Now press the up switch - record voltage (should still be 12)

Assuming we had 12 volts across the + and - terminals the whole time, we now move the meter leads - one to the M1 terminal, the other to M2 terminal.

Should be nothing until switch is pressed.

4. Push the down switch - record voltage and polarity (Should read 12 volts + or - doesn't matter which and the motor should run)

5. Push the up switch - record voltage and polarity. (Should read 12 volts with the opposite polarity to test 4 and the motor should run).

We'll get this nutted