Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing really

Re: Disappointing really

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    It will draw a fair amount of current. Make sure the cables are firmly connected to the motor terminals so the threads don't get damaged by arcing then touch the other ends to the battery terminals. The motor should run one way. Reverse the polarity, it should run the other.
    So I think is good news. By connecting a battery up with jumper leads I was able to get the motor going in both directions which suggests it's either a switch problem or a solenoid problem would that be correct. So how do isolate which it is or I already done that

Sent from my SM-T580 using Ausfish mobile app

So when you hooked the jumper leads on did the switch on the helm make it operate properly..?...if so, its probably dodgy wiring or connections between the battery and unit.... when a boats a few years old it doesnt hurt to remove all connections from the battery and check they are still intact and give them a clean up with some steel wool or something anyway...

Switch, solenoid, circuit breaker or cable still at this stage but the good news is that the really expensive bit looks like it's ok. Now is where being able to use a multimeter comes in handy as you are going to have to hunt for what is causing your voltage drop. Switch is pretty easy. Disconnect and wrap the two terminals on the cables that were attached to the motor in tape to prevent any chance of shorts, turn on the breaker and try the switch in both directions. Should hear the solenoid clunk both ways.

Yeah, after starting a fire once by hooking up some wiring wrong , I'll leave the electrical advice to the experts from now on...I actually shouldnt be allowed to go near a wiring project ever again or give advice...

My money's on Scottar or dignity to the rescue...

Sheik, did you find the solenoid? Where abouts are you located, as I am at Redcliffe ATM, till tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    So when you hooked the jumper leads on did the switch on the helm make it operate properly..?...if so, its probably dodgy wiring or connections between the battery and unit.... when a boats a few years old it doesnt hurt to remove all connections from the battery and check they are still intact and give them a clean up with some steel wool or something anyway...
    I hook the battery straight to the terminals on the motor and the motor went both ways I didn't try it with the switch

Switch, solenoid, circuit breaker or cable still at this stage but the good news is that the really expensive bit looks like it's ok. Now is where being able to use a multimeter comes in handy as you are going to have to hunt for what is causing your voltage drop. Switch is pretty easy. Disconnect and wrap the two terminals on the cables that were attached to the motor in tape to prevent any chance of shorts, turn on the breaker and try the switch in both directions. Should hear the solenoid clunk both ways.
    It clunks at the solenoid one way but not the other on the switch

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Sheik, did you find the solenoid? Where abouts are you located, as I am at Redcliffe ATM, till tomorrow night.
    Mate I am out Ashgrove way but I found this under the dash I assume this is the solenoid. It gives a cloak clunk when I push the down switch but not when it gets pushed up there's nothing. I am at work tomorrow so otherwise I will be definitely paying for your expertise but old mate at Redcliffe suggested that Whitworths might have a 4 post solenoid that's what I think he called it anyway20210509_180551.jpeg

That's the beast, a 4 poster is no good for you. As Scottar has said, you need to check that the switch is operating correctly which from your description sounds like it might be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    That's the beast, a 4 poster is no good for you. As Scottar has said, you need to check that the switch is operating correctly which from your description sounds like it might be the problem.
    Excellent, wel;l I have amultimeter and thursdayperhaps off so I;ll give it a try then, see if I can work out the haps, or maybe replace the switch. What sort of switch woul;d I replace it with, a genuine or would there be a generic replaceme nt. It's not as if it's under warranty!

Might be free on thursday, will let you know and maybe talk to you for a solution.

Yep. That's it. For a two terminal motor it should be a 4 post solenoid. You now need to check whether the switch itself is providing trigger. Set your multimeter to DC volts and measure between the centre spade terminal and the outer ones while the switch is pressed. Should read 12 volts between centre and one side when going down and 12 volts between centre and the other side going up.

How many wires are on the back of the switch? Got a pic?

How many wires are on the back of the switch? Got a pic?
    I think three from memory.

Can you post a pic of the connections?