Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: designing a boat - A moose kiwi story

designing a boat - A moose kiwi story

Hi guys

There is a fair bit to this story that i can't say. but as there is a lot of love for the AUSFISH family. i thought id take you all on a journey

So we are currently designing up a well apointed 9mt plate alluminium boat for a client. Also as a bit of an introduction of the brand into Australia. And being that i dont like to shy away f rom new technology this boat is filled with just about every new type of everything of everykind! that can be put in a boat

It would be said that, in the months that we have taken so far to come to where we are currently sitting, we feel we have met the brief of the client to an absolute T and whilst we are still ironing out a few things it would be interesting to get feedback.

I will be posting in stages so not to overwhelm the threat. But Welcome

side profile.jpg

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Re: designing a boat - A moose kiwi story

Looking forward to it.

The Hull

For the want of being different and the need to be stable and safe

There is a bit of saying with hull design that the more boat in the water the better it is "which of cause is not true and there aer lots of factors involved" and every hull type has merrits.
    We knew this boat was going to be long and "relitivly" thin. with the owner wanting to keep it at a maximum of 2.5mt wide. As such "and especially with experience of other top heavy plate boats in the past" i wanted to find a hull that would provide excelent sability and seaworthyness... and at the same time able to accomodate all the dot points we needed to include in the build.

So sharp raked planing upp boats like barcrusher were kinda out... as you loose a fair amount of water line lnegth and rely a lot on ballast for stability at rest.
    Cats are out "though were a consideration for a while" because of the lack of internal volume where we needed it for equipment, storage etc

So what we settled on was a shallow deadrise plumb bow.

This is a rather traditional design and one taken up by a few boat builders "notably Dickeys in NZ" and of cause shipyards all around the world.
    Our plumb bow would have a slight rake backwards with a two teird flare up top to give a bit of style, and an element of extra spray proofing.
    It would be razor sharp in the front tailing off to a close to flat deadrise aft with a small depth keel for directional stability

What we gained in doing this was a HUGE amount of volume , with fantastic stability at rest and extreme seaworthyness.. in order to over come some of the speed request... that would require some interesting thoughts with the power plant... more on that later

We incorperated a portofino transom inleu of a pod etc to give us maximum boyancy for what will be some heavy load on the transom. it also increases the lines to the boat and i think looks pretty classy

That should be something else i mention, this boat had to be classy

Attachment 123839
    Attachment 123840

www.moosemarine.com.au

pics didn't work for me

all fixed

www.moosemarine.com.au

Is it for the bass strait there Moose it looks like it might be a hard banging boat with the shallow V and chines put in some thick cushioned seats on it, nice lines to it ,whats the speed of the hull??

Well Moose this will be interesting.
    The principles behind the hull design are of great interest as it does challenge some of the standards of traditional design of planing hulls for open water.
    What is your time line with this project ?

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Is it for the bass strait there Moose it looks like it might be a hard banging boat with the shallow V and chines put in some thick cushioned seats on it, nice lines to it ,whats the speed of the hull??
    For the bass strait? (thats another build coming up. lol )
    the design of this hull is to push through chop more than lift and slam . it wont be as soft as a deep v for shore in hard waves. though the owner isnt the skipper who would be pounding it at speed in bad weather. so we compromised to have a more stable hull oweing to the hard top weight and smaller beam width

We havnt fluid tested this perticular hull. we have scaled up an 8mt hull to get to where we are with this one. the 8mt hull is a 35knott hull with a 370hp diesel inboard. we have been asked for 50knotts with 600hp thats an ideal top end goal. id be happy with 45 with cruise of 33 But at this stage we shall see!

www.moosemarine.com.au

We are at the point end of design atm and just finishing up some little details for the owners request and producing all the 3d renderings for paint colours. Ideally we would like to start construction within 4 weeks or so

www.moosemarine.com.au

Design brief sketches

Here are some just cheeky pen on pad over the phone stuff i sketched up whilst talking with the client

We came up with this cat style centre walk through for the transom instead of a traditional on the side entrance. a couple of reasons . it would allow more material either side of the side decks for strength, it does give the centreline of the cocktpit a longer "Feel" Due to the type of engines we were wanting to run we didnt need much room for steering pumps etc so it would allow us to have two even decent size areas for live well and tackle storage.

www.moosemarine.com.au

Engines

So the client requested twin 300hp

Originally we looked at Merc v8 300AMS with joystick. however the extra space and complexity with the hydraulics for the joysticksystem lead us to look at the Yamaha 300HP V6EPS models. with their new built in electric steering and joy stick

There were a few advantages we found too. Other than saving weight in compontent cost. and installation complexity. we gained built in autopilot interfacing with the MFD "ill talk about electronics later... thats a big one"

we found this side by side comparison with a 31ft robalo test boat interesting. with the yamaha (previous pre updated v6 300hp) out performing in most metrix to the mercury . so.. that was positive reinforcement

Another cool feature is the onboard freshwater flushing. with the owner of this boat dry stacking and taking it to South east coast away from fresh water/eletrical supplies, the ability to flush the engines from within the water is pretty awesome. so hit a button and run fresh water from the onboard tank through the engines

Adding electrical steering and joystick control "we are still debating if we can have a second joystick aft for docking" just adds to the convienence of steering for sure.

and in a design aspect we can run a thinner helm box giving us more room behind the dash for other things "watch this space"

www.moosemarine.com.au

All good to have the new joy stick to play with but give me a steering wheel any day, are they fly by wire steering and throttle??, i like the flushing idea.

yeah all digital throttle and steering

should mention we still have a tilt/ steering wheel just a joystick As well
    though thats still up for contention with budget in mind

www.moosemarine.com.au

I’ll be following this one closely. I’m interested to see the ride at those speeds with that lack of deadrise.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    yeah all digital throttle and steering

should mention we still have a tilt/ steering wheel just a joystick As well
    though thats still up for contention with budget in mind
    Just out of interest, does this project have a budget?