Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: designing a boat - A moose kiwi story

Re: designing a boat - A moose kiwi story

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I’ll be following this one closely. I’m interested to see the ride at those speeds with that lack of deadrise.
    I'm curious as well after spending a while when choosing a new hull by comparing rides from boats of different deadrise..

Wondering what the ride and handling will be like on boat with twin 300's that does 59km/h at 4000rpm but "close to flat deadrise aft with a small depth keel for directional stability" ..?

heres a litle video demonstrating a similar hull and the builder

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Makes me wonder why someone would produce 5 minutes of video demonstrating the benefits of a flat bottomed boat and how great it goes but only show it running in flat water or with the sea and swell and not into it...

Moose, you got anything that shows it running into a decent headsea where it gets a bit of air ..?

I'd be hoping it didn't get any air...might spill the gin and tonics.

My 1980's GM inboard had a freshwater flush port. About time outboards caught up

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It pushes water up the front like a displacement hull when cruising in that calm water and the sea over in NZ looks to be a bit different like up Hervey bay short chop, you would not get much trim out off it ,it did ride nice in those condition because of its length good to have the cabin to hide in in the cooler weather too.

Certainly looks a nicely finished product. A seatrial in some decent chop would be on the cards before dropping the deposit.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Makes me wonder why someone would produce 5 minutes of video demonstrating the benefits of a flat bottomed boat and how great it goes but only show it running in flat water or with the sea and swell and not into it...

Moose, you got anything that shows it running into a decent headsea where it gets a bit of air ..?
    we hav asked for a few more videos from this builder. though ....why would you be wanting to get air?

www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    we hav asked for a few more videos from this builder. though ....why would you be wanting to get air?
    Need to get a bit of air to keep up with the Stabi's mate...

stabi air...jpg

BTW, you said the speed component of the brief was a 50 knot boat...so your man obviously has a lead foot and wants to really leg it..

I'm actually only half joking....You must be pretty excited to take on a project from the initial design stage through to completion and fit it out yourself with what sounds like a lot of your own ideas...

It just not that sort of boat to be launching it over waves to me its like a modern day sharpy hull like the old day boats were its a retro hull with modern day fit out. and lines.

I could sea a market for them in Canada running around the Islands and bays like NZ.

I really like the lines on this boat. Would love to take a sea trial on one if the opportunity arose.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Need to get a bit of air to keep up with the Stabi's mate...

stabi air...jpg

BTW, you said the speed component of the brief was a 50 knot boat...so your man obviously has a lead foot and wants to really leg it..

I'm actually only half joking....You must be pretty excited to take on a project from the initial design stage through to completion and fit it out yourself with what sounds like a lot of your own ideas...

Hhaha yeah just pulling you mate. lol. the l cient actually is stepping out of a 2250 stabi "a very very very nice one should you know anybody interested in a well apointed 2 year old boat "

www.moosemarine.com.au

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yeah, Stabi is code for ugly flat-bottomed punt. At least in the smaller sizes. In the larger sizes, ugly deep-vee'd monstrosity. my opinion only, of course, YMMV.

I'll just leave now

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Yeah, Stabi is code for ugly flat-bottomed punt. At least in the smaller sizes. In the larger sizes, ugly deep-vee'd monstrosity. my opinion only, of course, YMMV.

I'll just leave now
    Now i do belive you are a celebrity mr speaking on ABC radio Ranmar

and beauty i guess is in the eye of the beholder lol

www.moosemarine.com.au

Baitboard

We have had some interesting design concepts with the transom as a whole. ill get to that later

But it meant we needed to look at a baitboard to suit

We had about 790mm wide to play with and had a few requirements. but also wanted it to match the style of the boat and not look too "bolt-ony"

We came up with this sink/draw concept. with a HDPE/teflon (havnt decided) cutting surface.. though a part of me would like it out of timber?? for something different. and 2 cup holder/rod holder combinations in the corner. with the usual knife nad plyer holders. a single draw and teatowel rail. and a little defrost bin

The cool thing with the baitboard is that it can slide and centre it self in the boat or slide off to the starboard side of the transom. allowing walk through access to the centre transom compantionway "more on that later"

Thoughts????

www.moosemarine.com.au

Need some rod holders and maybe a insulated esky draw instead of defrost bin..a lip in front of the cutting boards so funky water and blood doesnt dribble over into the drawers.....if its slideable how will that effect a waste hose ..?

edit..aw sorry they do have rod holders ,thought that was cup holders....but if the rest is built from aluminium why not weld in aluminium rod holders to match and minimize issues due to using dissimilar metals..?

Why does your client want to go alloy over fibreglass anyway..?

and yeah Stabi's and their imitators certainly do divide opinions.....