Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alvey Deck winch.

Re: Alvey Deck winch.

Yeah thanks Big E..if I run 100lb or so leader and a lighter run to the sinker then it should snap there technically.....at least when there is a shark on it will be easier to break off with a winch then with a rod...i snapped one last trip when I dialled the drag up and tried to break a shark off on 80lb braid..

So I got these big suckers today...the fella even delivered them...they are Reef Queens already loaded with 1500m of 200lb braid so the fella said...they are $1200 each new and out of stock ATM......we paid $550 each....they look in good nick and seem to operate smooth enough ..I might just take the rollers off and soak them in vinegar to get them rolling more smoothly...

Bigger and heavier then they look in photo's being 350mm(14 inch) spool diameter and 10 kg each ..

alveys...jpg

I was thinking of fitting these flush mounts that the spigots just drop straight into when they are available again.....any better ideas out there...?

Flush Deck Mount - Alvey Reels

thanks for the tips and advice fella's...its a whole new fishing style for us never having used them before...

Cant wait to get them set up and watch the missus rip into a few Reds if the tradewinds ever cease...

Ausfish Platinum Member

Even in 80 metres, my wife just found it too hard after a few fish, and she's pretty fit for her age. We are all electric now, anywhere from 70 metres out. to 320 m and beyond. You will never " beat" sharks, if they are fired up they will catch anything, but the relentless retreive of a good electric is the best defence against them , IMO. The pump and wind of even a good parabolic with a fit bloke on the end still has that stop/start motion which makes it really easy for them.

Yeah mainly fishing from 40-75m....i did offer the missus an electric reel..

and I'm trying to get her out in the gym to be able to rip those Reds up...

and for sure no beating the sharks but hopefully if we are both on then we may even have a chance of boating 1 or 2....she is real good on the handline and has landed good size fish with no fuss but she does struggle a bit with a rod....and she is one of those uncoordinated cacky handers..at least thats her excuse....

Anyway time will tell.

You won't beat a good electric
    Bent butt into rod holder is typically a bit of a winch.
    Some medium sized reels have a lot of pull and not heavy.
    I use Epoch X-4NP in not so deep but it can still fish up to 400m but a treat to hold all day long and the NP has huge pull power for its size - I fish it with 100lb braid
    Left handed doesn't matter with electric as you are just pushing buttons. You'll see in one pick where I played with a big silly 4.5m stick thing for over 2 hours till I got it boatside and released it - point being it coped easily and did it no harm.
    Winch wise with electric my Epoch X-9 is 150lb and LSM is 200lb and I might go heavier with the LSM one day as I use 3kg and 5kg sinkers.
    With the 200lb line I handline till hooked then electric retrieve
    I wrap line around right hand and feel for bites with left hand.
    To save hand and fingers I use trace gloves right hand and fishing glove left hand.
    For snags and heavy pull I use timber pacifier with tape on it - do not wrap around just timber
    With winch it came with short pole with pulley wheel but being short and stiff it pulls hard on fish and quickly releases pressure so you lose weight against the fish and lose fish - I built a rod for winch and it is very forgiving and fish do not fall off.
    I see most people have said they used to have winches and now electric
    IMG_20210530_120141.jpgIMG_20210530_115804.jpgIMG_20210530_115612.jpgScreenshot_20200704_092309_com.android.gallery3d.jpgIMG_20200417_130739.jpgIMG_20200424_101921.jpgDec%2014%20Blue%20Marlin.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev

You seem to get some good weather there Trev. As a matter of interest why tape on the pacifier, does it stop the braid slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    You seem to get some good weather there Trev. As a matter of interest why tape on the pacifier, does it stop the braid slipping.
    Yeah Scott
    slipping braid under a lot of strain is scary and risky

Cheers

Trev

All this electronic wizardry is getting a bit to fancy for me...

We will try the hand wind alvey's for now....fishing in the deeper water is just a part of each trip along reef fishing for trout and a bit of trolling as well..

I also dont see us getting into the true deep dropping in hundreds off metres of water..

Anyway, the flush mounts arrive today and i am not sure on which is the best placement for them...I have seen them fitted right in the back corner but also further forward on the gunwale near the cabin...

Any thoughts...?

Back corner is best to reduce the chance of line hitting the propeller
    Understand electric is presently not on your list but consider something that works like a short rod addition to absorb shock and account for boat movement as a direct winch will tug and then go slack with boat movement giving fish a chance to fall off by shaking the hooks with the slack or pull hooks with the tug. People who pump fish lose fish. A short rod and back corner will clear the motor
    Near cabin is good if you want a windbreak and shade.
    You might lose less with circle hooks

Cheers

Trev

Ready for a Red mission when the weather plays ball...

I might have to get a couple more mounts for up front in case of wind against tide we might have to run both units on the same side of the boat.......

and Trev I hadnt thought about the line going slack with boat movement..will have to think more on that..what do you suggest for a "short rod"...do you mean like a extension with pulley on top of the unit...?

IMG_2364.jpg

Image1622537999.422179.jpg

Hi Disorderly, I have welded some time to the top of my winches and run a 15-24kg shimano 6ft rod. This has been good for 2 x 15kg cod in 200+ meters

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Image1622537999.422179.jpg

Hi Disorderly, I have welded some time to the top of my winches and run a 15-24kg shimano 6ft rod. This has been good for 2 x 15kg cod in 200+ meters

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    That looks interesting Lee, but how do you reach the line..?

Alvey Deck winch.

The winch is mounted with the spigot into a mounted socket and you just turn the setup and the line ends up alongside the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forumsImage1622571015.219869.jpg
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

OK thanks Lee ..gotcha..very cool.!

Problem with Braid on a deck winch is that it often buries itself when a lot of pressure is put on it - Making it very hard to free spool on the next drop.
    It is possibly , but Id go nylon for this reason alone.
    It's easy to break free of snags , just tighten the drag and hold the the out edge of the spool and drive off till it pulls free or the line breaks.Sometimes the snag come up , which is another issue with using really heavy lines .
    Dont forget to run your nylon off the spool every now and again on those Alvey deck winches , when its wound on tight and later shrinks it will blow up your fibre glass spool - been there done that.
    I wouldn't go much more than 80LB line.
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast