Thread: 50x50 RHS cross member wall thickness on 2500 kg trailer

50x50 RHS cross member wall thickness on 2500 kg trailer

I'm planning on putting some additional cross members on my 2500 kg trailer so I can hang a few more rollers. Anyone got a recommendation on wall thickness? Will be using 50x50 duragal RHS.

Thanks
    Craig

Re: 50x50 RHS cross member wall thickness on 2500 kg trailer

3mm would be plenty I would say most would be 2or2.5mm at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ausfish Platinum Member

When I did mine I used 5mm, mainly cause most steel I buy to have in the shed is 5mm as I don't know what it will end up being used for, but you'd get away with 3mm easily.
    Cheers
    Corry

If you are going to weld in the new members the worst corrosion will end up being in the side rails where you can't effectively treat for rust.
    There is a common sense trend lately to fab the new members so they clamp / U-bolt to the side rails to avoid the damages to the main rails.
    3mm is ample for the job.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    If you are going to weld in the new members the worst corrosion will end up being in the side rails where you can't effectively treat for rust.
    There is a common sense trend lately to fab the new members so they clamp / U-bolt to the side rails to avoid the damages to the main rails.
    3mm is ample for the job.
    Tend to agree with this. While 3mm should be ample strength wise, the heavier the gauge of steel, the more rust it will tolerate before becoming a structural issue - all comes down to your rust prevention.

Thanks lads. It's a full bolt in crossmember so looks like 3 mm will be the go. Hopefully off to the steel shop tomorrow.