Thread: viper anchor winch

viper anchor winch

any one have experience using an 12v anchor winch , i am about to fit one to a boat rebuild and am concerned that they may not wind on neatly when out on water , do you have to stop the rewind and adjust the rewind.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: viper anchor winch

The convex type rollers work well for this in my experience. Having the fat part in the middle is designed to make them roll off to one side or another, then it tries to centre, keeps repeating. I used the Lone Star roller on my Tuffwinch, works well.

I have a Lonestar GX2 on my Cuddy cab and it does occasionally bunch up in the middle of the drum, I have access to the front via a hatch and I fitted a remote control so
    i can go up front and unwind it and feed it back on properly
    If you don't have easy access to the winch it will be a pain sooner or later, I also have the convex roller and it does work most of the time
    My winch drum is pretty much full with the rope, chain and chain sock that comes with the kit though

All depends on how badly it bunches and how full you run the drum. This will vary dependent on your installation - use of convex rollers, lead distances etc. There is one manufacturer that makes a small boat winch with a line lay mechanism - Universal. Not sure how effective they are but the winches are expensive compared to other makes - they do look like a nice bit of gear though. Having the remote to allow you to run the winch while being hands on is a great. I fitted one a while back - gets used when I want to run out the anchor gear to wash it down after a trip and also on family beach days to winch the boat into deeper water once a stern line/anchor is in place.