Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering 5.6 Shark Cat for Mackay

Considering 5.6 Shark Cat for Mackay

Its been a long time since I have logged into the Ausfish page. was very active in the early 2000's.
    Anyway life has changed and I am considering a 5.6 Shark Cat with twin 115 Optimax engines. pics below
    Im wanting to get out to the islands and reefs off mackay and was wanting people's thoughts on whether this boat will fit the bill given the distance needed to travel to the outer fishing spots. I dont want to be limited to heading out on glassed out days and praying the wind doesnt pop up.

I had a 20fh Bertram in the past and kicking myself for selling it before moving up here from Sydney but havent had any esxperience with the cats aside from a day trip 30 years ago in one.

Thanks up front for any replies.
    tight lines and fair weather.

175371514_10222724630358291_1548059941585741402_n.jpg175048407_10222724632718350_2422547381161446062_n.jpg

Re: Considering 5.6 Shark Cat for Mackay

Those boats are getting on in age now, and almost all of them are rotted out, make sure if it's been rebuilt, it was done properly, if it hasn't, make sure you factor in doing it later, providing it has the original tanks, it has 110l per side, is this enough range for your intended use, bare in mind it has Optis on it? Also double check the age, so many sellers have no idea when it comes to this, don't believe the "Bruce Harris" built, ?Bruce had left the place by about 1980(ish) as far as worrying about the wind coming up, that boat will take a lot more than you can dish out, especially side on to the chop, once you get the hang of it, you will scare yourself shitless.......

Dont know much about them or if this is of interest but this popped up on FB down your way...

It looks well set up for the money..

sailfish11.jpgsailfish222.jpg

Its perfect. Thank you Sir

I'd prefer this one though..

KC.jpg

That other boat will drive you nuts during long trips, it will be pretty slow when it's flat water, not a bad boat though, pretty high engine hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    That other boat will drive you nuts during long trips, it will be pretty slow when it's flat water, not a bad boat though, pretty high engine hours.
    Yeah I even find 25 knots at 4000rpm too slow on our boat when on long trips...though it miraculously cruises at 30 knots with the missus driving...

Do you really think 1300 hrs is too much on a gameboat if many of those hours are trolling ...?

I guess in the end, like everything, it all comes down to budget...

I would tend to avoid a dual optimax powered boat though...

The KC 6200 has been done up and repowered....it would be a nice beast of a boat for long offshore runs..

The hours don't mean much, it was just a "mention" that's all! Not a huge Opti fan either, but they are "OK" the Sailfish will be pretty well fitted out, the Sharkcat (unless it's had plenty spent on it) will be bare bones, there's a lot to consider really, never been a huge fan of alloy cats (and I owned one for a very long time) but the Sharkcat has some features that are not exactly top notch either, test drive everything you can, longs runs in a slow boat gets old very quick, for me, it's no big deal, everyday fishing for me is 10 mins run at best, a big run to the shelf is only 25-30 miles, nothing like the distances to the reef.

Noel, given that you are a bit of a Cat guy what would you say the advantages and disadvantages of Glass vs Alloy are and your thoughts on KC vs Sharkcat..?

BTW, that KC was only listed at 9pm last night and is sold already..

All very different, and in a way, all the same, the old Sharkcats were pretty badly built (like everything else at the time) nothing at all in the way of fitout, just a bare bones boat, they perform very well, unless you are going slow head on into steep chop, then it's "refreshing" to say the least. The Kevlacats kind of had a go at making a complete boat, well finished and pretty well kitted out from the start, they also had a much more modern look (and a higher bow) some do suffer from a side to side "roll" when running, nothing dangerous, just how they are. Most of the older Aluminium cats suffered from cracking, some went really well, but most required repairs. Sailfish in a way are making a well finished, well fitted out boat, most are sold with small motors, which might look attractive in price, but tend to be sluggish, all this is my personal opinion of course, but I have owned or fished out of most of them many times over the years. One thing with cats is the right power, not too much (weight) and not too little, most older ones being rebuilt are adding bigger flotation pods, allowing decent motors to be fitted.

Personally find glass cats a bit noisy - can't begin to comprehend sleeping in an alloy one in a bit of chop. Had enough trouble in the big hardtop Senator alloy pontoon company rig with the big reverse chine.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Noel, given that you are a bit of a Cat guy what would you say the advantages and disadvantages of Glass vs Alloy are and your thoughts on KC vs Sharkcat..?

BTW, that KC was only listed at 9pm last night and is sold already..
    I think you’ll find that KC has only got 20inch legs.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Yeah I even find 25 knots at 4000rpm too slow on our boat when on long trips...though it miraculously cruises at 30 knots with the missus driving...

Do you really think 1300 hrs is too much on a gameboat if many of those hours are trolling ...?

I guess in the end, like everything, it all comes down to budget...

I would tend to avoid a dual optimax powered boat though...

The KC 6200 has been done up and repowered....it would be a nice beast of a boat for long offshore runs..
    Its always fun to dream about the next size up and know that it is out of reach and you are right, its about the budget. 60k is way outside my range. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    The hours don't mean much, it was just a "mention" that's all! Not a huge Opti fan either, but they are "OK" the Sailfish will be pretty well fitted out, the Sharkcat (unless it's had plenty spent on it) will be bare bones, there's a lot to consider really, never been a huge fan of alloy cats (and I owned one for a very long time) but the Sharkcat has some features that are not exactly top notch either, test drive everything you can, longs runs in a slow boat gets old very quick, for me, it's no big deal, everyday fishing for me is 10 mins run at best, a big run to the shelf is only 25-30 miles, nothing like the distances to the reef.
    Thanks for the feedback. Appreciated. I Think Ill steer away from the Cat. It just seems a little too old and despite my intention to fit it out I know I wont get the chance which is why I am drawn to the Sailfish. The wife like the twin engine security and compared to monos they appear far more steady, which again ticks her list. Its really hard to find a smallish cat. Sailfish seem to be focusing more on the larger boats . Obviously better return

thanks again for the reply

I'd prefer this one though..

KC.jpg
    Too rich for me and I dont think it would fit in my yard/.