Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering 5.6 Shark Cat for Mackay

Re: Considering 5.6 Shark Cat for Mackay

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Hoskin View Post
    Too rich for me and I dont think it would fit in my yard/.
    Let us know how you go....

BTW, the current owners of that KC 6200 for 60K must have been inundated with inquires...the ad was removed and is relisted at 65K.

Fished out of mackay for last decade.
    You need a fast boat with lots of range if you want to maximise this area. 120k-160km out if your keen.
    most sharkcats have to small fuel tank.
    I fished out of a 560 sharkcat for a few years but it had new 220l tanks each side. Awesome boat for offshore fishing and the safety of twins when out really far is excellent.
    If you buy a boat for mackay make sure it has big range and bit of speed or you.ll regret it.
    Nothing worse than a 100km trip back at 20 knots on a sunday afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    You need a fast boat with lots of range if you want to maximise this area. 120k-160km out if your keen.
    I fished out of a 560 sharkcat for a few years but it had new 220l tanks each side. Awesome boat for offshore fishing and the safety of twins when out really far is excellent.
    If you buy a boat for mackay make sure it has big range and bit of speed or you.ll regret it.
    The wife really enjoys the security of 2 motors. Im still drawn to the Sailfish as it is so well setup. I wonder how much better or faster it will run with a repower with 80 or 90 hp instead of the old Johnson 4 stroke 70's?

A pair of new model 90s would be nice I would think, the old Johnson was a Suzuki, and back then it was no light weight, Suzuki makes a 100 these days too.

Its easier to catch covid than to find a price of these engines on the net..lol 100's would be nice.

Found this if it helps with a rough guide

Image1620587418.035072.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

I just got a quote to replace 2 Evinrude/Suzuki 70's with 2 x Suzuki 90's.

$36000.00

Damn

Motors are not cheap these days, you might do a bit better shopping around.

Yeah definitely shop around ...when I was looking 18 months ago in august 2019 I was originally quoted around 26-28K for various makes of 200hp outboards unfitted...

I rang around and eventually found some warehouse stock of a 200hp Honda counter rotating for $22400 ..

It does pay to respectfully let the dealers know you will be shopping around hard for the best prices..

and 2nd hand 4 strokes are still going for stupid money so privately selling your old motors for decent money rather then peanuts for trading in shouldnt be be too difficult to partly offset the upgrade ....

But as you have found its certainly smart to factor in the cost of upgrading motors when considering purchasing a 2nd hand boat...the way the market is at the moment there sometimes is not a huge gap between repowering an oldy compared to buying a newy ...particularly if you also need to upgrade electronics, wiring and other fitout stuff...

That professionally rebuilt 6200KC with near new yammie 115s and new electronics and fitout for 60 K sounded like a total bargain all things considered..

Sounds like there’s zero trade in on the old engines. Surely that’s the price new fitted without a trade in?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

So much to think about. Anyway Ill see how things pan out once we get the boat. Quite excited really but will have it home next week>
    Im hoping I will be satisfied with it and if not I can live with it willingly until I can save enough for a repower.
    Im not sure what is on the boat builders plate but from reading reports on the boat I think they were recommended with 70 Evinrude 4 strokes or 90 Hp 2 strokes. so I am not sure how insurance will cope if I end up needing to repower and want to put something on outside those parameters. MAybe a visit to a marine surveyor for a re rating is on the cards.
    Yes The prices do differ a bit. Got a quote for 2 x 80 Mercury 4 strokes for 27k installed. Tohatsu 80 32k plus controls and fitting. Suzuki 90 for 36k and add 4k for 100hp motors and I have asked another suzuki dealer for a quote 4 days ago and they havent been back to me yet.

Fun times ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    I now know what you mean.

20230410_163600.jpg

just need an autopilot mate...then you can take a 2 hr nap...

I split a water return hose last week thankfully only 20km's out but it sprayed water all over the motor and electrics so even after taping up the hose I could only manage 7 knots max for an hour and half trip limping back home..

Did you go the sailfish?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Hop on the Old School Sharkcat FB group and ask questions there. Some really knowlegable guys in the group like Wayne Henning, Jim Anderson can answer just about all regarding model old and new.