Thread: Evinrude G2

Evinrude G2

Hi as part of the boat upgrade I’ve come across a 2nd hand boat with late model/low hour G2 engine (175hp) and hoping to get peoples experiences?

The reviews and stats etc seem to show it to be a absolute winner compared to 4strokes for torque/maintenance costs etc however concerns me a little that BRP have pulled the pin on outboard production. I only had a 4-stroke in mind for the upgrade but the value for money that seems to be available with this 2nd hand boat is hard to go past.

Re: Evinrude G2

You will get polarised answers here, some love them, most hate them, if the price is right, and you have a dealer close by that actually knows them well, then it's half way there, I personally don't go for the advertising "blurb" and the price should reflect good value, because good or bad, e-tecs suffer with resale.

Its cheaper because it has the Etec on it, mate...

I wouldnt buy it if I was looking at a new boat....

The main reason being that finding new parts and service techs will be harder and harder and of course the boat will be harder to sell if you ever want to...and the motor itself will be worth bugga all as a trade in if you want to upgrade at some stage..

I'm just glad I'm not trying to buy a boat at the moment....up to a year or 2 wait for many new production and custom boats, and 2nd hand prices are almost as much as they cost new....

Surely its got to start slowing down a bit soon.

Yeah was thinking about a new Haines, would have it around the end of this year so not as bad as some but new boats are awful expensive nowadays.

I’ve instantly dismissed boats with etecs in the past myself but thought being the G2 the potential problems and market perception would be a different story

Nope, perception is just as bad or even worse since Evinrude pulled up stumps, dealers are deserting them as soon as they can, even in the "good old days" there was only a handful of dealers who actually knew what they were doing, lots sold them, and tinkered with them, but that's where it ended.

G2's - fuel economy is excellent, good NMEA2000 connectivity, software available to end user although the interface is expensive. The power steering, if it has it, has been a major PITA for some and was something I actively advised a friend against when he purchased a small block 200 which was a great engine and their dealer network could only be described as "hit or miss". In some areas, they are super popular, mainly due to good knowledgeable service techs - others - nothing but problems. I've run a 2006 G1 big block since early 2012 without any real issue - very happy with it. Would I buy another E-Tec - not a chance with the way BRP canned the engines. Even my local dealer last time I was in buying oil recommended flicking it while covid pricing is around as parts would IMO only get more expensive and some would be harder/impossible to get - which will get worse over time as the number of engines still around falls.

That said - if the price is right to the point that a "drive it till it drops and repower" attitude can be taken, I would consider it if it didn't have the DPS steering.

Did some googling on the DPS steering, sounds as good as the early etec injectors. Thanks for the heads up, will need to check that out

Sounds like you are set on buying one.

Yes pulled the trigger Noelm. I talked to the local Evinrude service bloke and the late model G2’s had moved to electronic steering so the DPS steering issues mentioned above are no longer a concern.

Although my preference would have still been 4 stroke the value I am getting with this rig is sickening to be honest so I just can’t walk past it. With 20hrs on the donk and a long warranty left should provide trouble free boating, and given the price I’m paying I’m not concerned about Etec stigma affecting price when I sell it one day as that has been well and truly factored in already.

Thanks for the advice guys! Now to try and sell the old rig and get used to launching/retrieving a 6.2M boat instead of 17ft