Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Botany Bay. Bait/Tackle shops, and Flathead.

Botany Bay. Bait/Tackle shops, and Flathead.

G'day to all. I am new to fishing in Botany Bat - I have travel about an hour to launch at Foreshore Dr, but am retired, so iI'm happy to do it. I have 2 questions. one, can anyone recommend a good bait and tackle shop in the area. By that I mean someone who sells decent bait etc, and maybe give some good advice. Two, I would like to catch a decent flathead in the Bay, George's River etc area. How do I go about this? Thanks to all. yugrewop.

Re: Botany Bay. Bait/Tackle shops, and Flathead.

Hi Yugrewop, Macs Bait Bar on Tom Uglies bridge is the go for bait.
    If you want to get onto some Botany Bay flathead the best bet is softplastics on the shallow flats. If your not a soft plastics man go to Gumtree and buy some snapper flashers and just drift the bay until you find them. Dont buy the cheap ones as they dont last. The best ones are the handmade ones. They are deadly on Flathead, reusable and your a good chance of picking up a flounder or two as well.

Buy yourself a Nipper pump and get some for bait, all sorts of fish go for them, if you are just after a feed (not catch and release) it's pretty hard to beat small live Mullet, that you can easily catch yourself too.

Used to get plenty of trevally round Mollineaux Pt. Close to the rocks and get a good barley trail going.

If you really want to get to know the bay quickly your best bet is to buy the Sydney Harbour/Botany Bay book by Gary Brown and to take a charter with Scotty Lyons https://www.fishingsydney.com.au/cat...shing-reports/
    I started fishing the bay based on Gary Browns recomendations but didnt really crack the code until i went out with Scotty a few times.
    Live bait is great if you have the time but for a feed of flatties drifting with good quality snapper flashers is the most effective.

Thanks Running amuck, I will try that. I will try the shallow flats along Towra beach and then at random. Macs Bait Bar I will visit on my next trip across Tom UgLys.

Thanks Noelm. Looks like Ive got some new experiences ahead of me. ..... Where would i go to catch some live mullet, if you don't mind?

Anywhere there is some sand flats you will find small Mullet, a trap with some bread will get you some.

If the jet skis arnt there a drift along Brietonlesands beach always have me a feed

either drifting working 5 inch jerk shades blades
    didn’t use bait very much

would just pick a parallel drift and if no fish go another 10m and drift again

Quote Originally Posted by Running amuck View Post
    If you really want to get to know the bay quickly your best bet is to buy the Sydney Harbour/Botany Bay book by Gary Brown .
    Yes - Gary spent a day in my boat many years back. Mate of a mate. Boy he knew the Bay inside out. He put us onto a heap of fish. Top bloke.

I grew up on the bay many moons ago. We used to sneak into the oyster leases in a small tinny on a rising tide and catch the biggest bream you’ve ever seen as they smashed the oysters for a feed.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Use caution at Towra Point there is a marine park there

I fish the bay a lot and we are just about out of the fun season for flatties they quieten down alot throughout winter

If u have a chartplotter, mobile with navionics etc.. that shows contour lines drift over these contour lines you'll get flatheads

Most ofthe flattiesare caught anywhere near the international runway they love pillies and chicken breast

My biggest measured flathead from botany bay was 92cm i caught two +1meter models off the St George RSL wharf

To get the big girls the best tip is to use live poddy mullet i get mine from upstream the day before i take them home and put a 240v aquarium pump in the esky (battery pump travelling to home and the bay)

Its the season for Tailor, Salmon and Jewfish

Mol Pt fishes good for the Salmon and the bait grounds for Jewies

The Bay may be over fished tho they just had a Pertek fishing comp on

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post

I fish the bay a lot and we are just about out of the fun season for flatties they quieten down alot throughout winter

If u have a chartplotter, mobile with navionics etc.. that shows contour lines drift over these contour lines you'll get flatheads

Most ofthe flattiesare caught anywhere near the international runway they love pillies and chicken breast

My biggest measured flathead from botany bay was 92cm i caught two +1meter models off the St George RSL wharf

To get the big girls the best tip is to use live poddy mullet i get mine from upstream the day before i take them home and put a 240v aquarium pump in the esky (battery pump travelling to home and the bay)

that right there is some excellent advice Gaz. Good work!!

Botany Bay. Bait/Tackle shops, and Flathead.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post

Gazza. You will see that Towra Point is within what is called an AQUATIC RESERVE - REFUGE ZONE (the striped area on the map). The dotted area on the map is the SANCTUARY ZONE.

What you CAN do within the Aquatic Reserve - Refuge Zone

You can enjoy many marine activities such as snorkelling, swimming, boating and fishing.

Within the refuge zone (see map), you can take fish and invertebrates by hook and line or the lawful use of a recreational fishing net, such as hoop nets and lift nets.

What you CAN’T do within the Aquatic Reserve - Sanctuary Zone.

You can observe the marine plants and animals but fishing and the collection of invertebrates and marine vegetation whether alive or dead is PROHIBITED

If you can’t read the pictures properly you will find the pictures and information here

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/m...quatic-reserve

Image1620766970.493632.jpg

Image1620766980.573493.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

They may have changed the rules i was always under the assumption it was a no fishing zone