Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical disc trailer hubs

Mechanical disc trailer hubs

Been looking at my trailer disc hubs and there getting a bit of rust on them now and was going to replace them with gal ones, my question i how long has the galvanizing lasted on yours i thought that mine were galvanized but now im thinking they were black ones going by the amount of growth on them now.

Re: Mechanical disc trailer hubs

even though they are galvanized, the face is still machined and bare, so it will still get rusty!

I think you can get stainless ones for a fortune.

The stainless ones are very expensive but are so piece of mind. I’m still running a set from 2011 and have just replaced pads so far.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Anyone got a link to SS ones?

You can also get bronze discs whether they are any cheaper or better I don’t know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    https://www.trailersparesonline.com....s-steel-brakes

Thanks Dignity, jeez they don't miss you with the price eh?

Certainly do hit you up, I've never worn out steel ones as I don't do the miles, most of my trips are 5 mins from home, just enough to polish the old ones up so I haven't seen the need for SS.

My trailer was 9 years old and had the origional gal brake setup
    used it 2-3 times a month on average

I had a hose I connected to the hot tap in the laundry and would hose them down at home with hot water and lots of car wash truck wash or what ever I had then sprayed with wd40

The wd40 burnt off on the three brake applications to leave my street

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Saw some for $295 each and only for falcon stud patten from the USA at Probar caboolture

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    My trailer was 9 years old and had the origional gal brake setup
    used it 2-3 times a month on average

I had a hose I connected to the hot tap in the laundry and would hose them down at home with hot water and lots of car wash truck wash or what ever I had then sprayed with wd40

The wd40 burnt off on the three brake applications to leave my street
    Ive all ways given them a good hose but that dosen't last just with a good hosing, the WD40 sound like the go,only $140 for a new set and start fresh and give them a spray.

Chris, where the pads rub on the disc this gets galvanised but i think the disc pad surfaces get machined so its normal for those sections to rust

A lot of the stuff on ebay is dacromat im not entirely sure what that is but they chose that word over hot dip galvanised

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Certainly do hit you up, I've never worn out steel ones as I don't do the miles, most of my trips are 5 mins from home, just enough to polish the old ones up so I haven't seen the need for SS.
    Mine are rusty from lack of use but I'm going to sell the boat for a song and can't justify $600 for stainless.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Been looking at my trailer disc hubs and there getting a bit of rust on them now and was going to replace them with gal ones, my question i how long has the galvanizing lasted on yours i thought that mine were galvanized but now im thinking they were black ones going by the amount of growth on them now.
    I made the change to SS and Dacromet coated on a dual axle trailer back in 2014. 100% saltwater use. SS vented rotors and SS backed pads still going strong minimal wear on pads. Dacromet coated rotors and pads replaced in 2018. SS on rear axle, Dacromet on front.
    As a trial on the different coatings, I was asked not to wash these for 12 months. Since then, washed every trip.
    316ss rotor and KodaGuard caliper.jpgnew 316ss rotor and KodaGuard caliper ss backed pads.jpg after 4 yrs
    Dacromet new vs old 4yrs on.JPGDacromet new - and after 4 yrs

In the end, it depends on what your preferences are - mine is piece of mind and less maintenance.

Cheers,
    Wags