Thread: Bigfoot

Bigfoot

So I have a Mercury 60 Bigfoot the hydraulic ram for the trim and tilt folds under pressure which from my research is a fairly common problem. I can also see that the most common cause is old o rings on the system.

Is there any cure apart from taking the system apart and replacing those O-rings.

I took the plug out refilled to just overflowing and put the bung back in but that hasn't helped at all. I can still take it outoutline the water but it drops pretty quickly over 2 or 3 minutes down to the lowest position.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Bigfoot

Leaky o-rings are usually only fixed by being replaced which is a pain at the time but think how good it will be when it works properly again.

Or you could do it the old fashioned way

s-l500.jpg

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Leaky o-rings are usually only fixed by being replaced which is a pain at the time but think how good it will be when it works properly again.

Or you could do it the old fashioned way

s-l500.jpg

Matt
    Yeah nuh.
    They woud have to be done professionaly i suppose, or at least by a professional I mean. Not something I oculd do myself? Rough guess at cost - 500?

If you intend keeping the motor for some time Sheik, look into getting a factory service manual. I don't have experience with the Merc ones but if they are anything like the OMC/BRP ones, they are basically "How to rebuild an outboard in steps your first year apprentice can understand". It should cover a full trim and tilt rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    If you intend keeping the motor for some time Sheik, look into getting a factory service manual. I don't have experience with the Merc ones but if they are anything like the OMC/BRP ones, they are basically "How to rebuild an outboard in steps your first year apprentice can understand". It should cover a full trim and tilt rebuild.
    Cheers mate good call.

The trim units are pretty simple, but, most require a pin spanner to remove the caps, and they can be damn tight, there's also a couple of ball valves in the bottom that will fall out if you're not careful, but basically it's simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    The trim units are pretty simple, but, most require a pin spanner to remove the caps, and they can be damn tight, there's also a couple of ball valves in the bottom that will fall out if you're not careful, but basically it's simple.
    Yeah thanks mate good info

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    It didnt but it might thanks

Here's a link to the front page, drill down from there.
    http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html