Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cheapskate's corner - do we overpay at regular fishing tackle stores?

Re: Cheapskate's corner - do we overpay at regular fishing tackle stores?

Quote Originally Posted by Running amuck View Post
    thanks Jack. Do DHGate sell chemically sharpened octopus hooks?
    Plenty of them there lots of brands as well.

Check out the titanium hooks whilst there.
    Jack.

Re: Cheapskate's corner - do we overpay at regular fishing tackle stores?

Yes you can buy cheap gear & you can catch fish on them . ..... like buying cask wine to get pissed - both will do the job .

My advice will be always buy the best gear you can afford ...... & with the exception of lead sinkers I cant think of any fishing tackle ( rod , reel , line , lures , terminal tackle etc) where that didn't apply to.

even a basic item like a hook ...... dropping a quality fish because a hook bends or breaks is pretty gut wrenching ..... ditto with a swivel pulling apart . IMO those few cents saved on that bit of kit is just false economy.
    I'm hearing cheap lures being mentioned ...... go & compare a kokoda lure against what it is meant to copy - say a vibe ...... the action is chalk & cheese . Lures that are meant to suspend generally don't , the hooks are sub standard ( hooks can be sub standard on high priced lures as well... sadly) - the most common fault is that lures don't track straight. I did a lot of lure casting for bream a decade or so ago ..... realistically you needed to spend $20 - $30 for a lure that would do the job straight out of the box ....... the same went for bass - A cultiva would have been the starting point .... so $15 + .

when it comes to rods - yes , you can catch fish on what amounts to a broomstick or fiberglass aerial ....... but certainly as your skills develop as a fisherman , you realise the shortcomings ... be it feel / sensitivity , casting distance / accuracy...... weight & feel - there is just something about using a nice rod.
    Reels - I've heard the arguments & even have looked at cheaper options - failures & corrosion soon having you thinking about value for money . ........ No you dont have to spend a grand on a spin reel or $600 on a baitcaster - but you'll certainly notice the difference spending half that . A Penn slammer is a hell of a reel ...... but it's bloody heavy & quite agricultural - specially when used over a long period.
    Braid ... .go & try that Ebay Spectra ..... & watch it come apart as you use it . Today you can buy quality braid for $12-20 / 100m .

In a nut shell - these days I actually spend more on hooks , swivels , leader & braid than I used to ....... these are your connections to the fish & what you certainly don't want to see fail. Rods & reels are more a nicety ....... I dont go for nice custom wraps these days - just functionality . Reels will always be what is the best I can afford or am willing to pay ...... a Shimano Thunnus for bait fishing for snapper is top notch at $300 (on special) - you don't need a $1100 Stella ..... but it's horses for courses .

Finally - We pay too high a price for tackle here in Australia ...... those distributors are taking us for a ride & then some. my advice is only buy locally when on special or look overseas - even today you can still save 20-40% .... & that may be the difference between buying ok tackle or buying great tackle.

anyhow , that's my thoughts

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO