Thread: First time, Somerset/Wivenhoe, land based - general advice needed

First time, Somerset/Wivenhoe, land based - general advice needed

Hardly ever been to these types of places, so general advice needed. Lots of questions. Thinking of going soonish.

Firstly - Somerset of Wivenhoe? We wish to use our caravan, and I will be fishing from land. Somerset looks prettier?

Anyway, as I said land based, and usually I like to bait fish, but can be advised otherwise - plastic grubs?. I was thinking in terms of floats and worms or shrimp. I understand a permit will be needed?

Can you fish anywhere - or are there rules? Where are places that are best for land based? Is around the caravan park worth trying? Any rock walls? On or near the dam? Downstream in the river?

Is it worth getting a trap for redclaw to set near the caravan park?

What about boat hire? What about bait and tackle shops?

phew, enough questions to start.

Re: First time, Somerset/Wivenhoe, land based - general advice needed

Hmmm, no reponses yet? I know, patience. But hey, I am not asking for your secret fishing locations Just what you might tell anyone new to freshwater fishing.

Sorry mate - never camped either.

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    Sorry mate - never camped either.

No probs, someone will some along with "the knowledge"

Quote Originally Posted by back2boats View Post
    Hardly ever been to these types of places, so general advice needed. Lots of questions. Thinking of going soonish.

Firstly - Somerset of Wivenhoe? We wish to use our caravan, and I will be fishing from land. Somerset looks prettier?

Anyway, as I said land based, and usually I like to bait fish, but can be advised otherwise - plastic grubs?. I was thinking in terms of floats and worms or shrimp. I understand a permit will be needed?

Can you fish anywhere - or are there rules? Where are places that are best for land based? Is around the caravan park worth trying? Any rock walls? On or near the dam? Downstream in the river?

Is it worth getting a trap for redclaw to set near the caravan park?

What about boat hire? What about bait and tackle shops?

phew, enough questions to start.
    G’Day Mate.
    Will try to answer as many of your questions as I can.
    Yes, you will need a SIP to fish at either dam.These can be obtained online,not sure if you can purchase at either dam shops.They can be purchased for different time frames eg,weekend , yearly.
    Have not camped at either dam , though have stayed at Somerset in their villas. Somerset would be my pick with your caravan.
    Not sure on opening hours, however there is a well set up caravan situated at Somerset ( can’t remember the name of it,for the life of me),that has a wide range of fishing tackle, and also rents out boats.
    Also when talking about Somerset , Remember there are two camping areas. The one is at The Spit, the one to the north is at Kirkleigh ( spelling ).
    Shrimp are readily available at all locations at Somerset. When I used to bait fish , we would use Sunlight soap and KFC bones for bait.
    Redclaw are also prevalent at Somerset.
    I have cleaned up there on numerous occasions , although from a boat.
    Any other questions you may have mate, I will try to answer them.
    One last thing , Wivenhoe has the bloody biggest eels and catfish that I have ever seen.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    G’Day Mate.
    Will try to answer as many of your questions as I can.
    Yes, you will need a SIP to fish at either dam.These can be obtained online,not sure if you can purchase at either dam shops.They can be purchased for different time frames eg,weekend , yearly.
    Have not camped at either dam , though have stayed at Somerset in their villas. Somerset would be my pick with your caravan.
    Not sure on opening hours, however there is a well set up caravan situated at Somerset ( can’t remember the name of it,for the life of me),that has a wide range of fishing tackle, and also rents out boats.
    Also when talking about Somerset , Remember there are two camping areas. The one is at The Spit, the one to the north is at Kirkleigh ( spelling ).
    Shrimp are readily available at all locations at Somerset. When I used to bait fish , we would use Sunlight soap and KFC bones for bait.
    Redclaw are also prevalent at Somerset.
    I have cleaned up there on numerous occasions , although from a boat.
    Any other questions you may have mate, I will try to answer them.
    One last thing , Wivenhoe has the bloody biggest eels and catfish that I have ever seen.
    Shawn
    Thanks.

Yes, Somerset looks the nicer area. I didn't realise there were two parks.

Great about boat rental and buying stuff.

Not sure about eels, but don't mind eating eel-tailed catfish from the salt. Got some very nice big ones down at Evan's Head recently. How are they when taken from the fresh?

Do people mainly float fish for yellowbelly and other stuff, or do they use sinkers (I have fished for Bass with a light sinker and live shrimp) ?

Mate,
    We always used to fish with the smallest amount of lead when we were bait fishing.
    Never kept catties mate, although in saying that, have been told many times,their flesh is pretty succulent.
    Just remembered the bloody name of the tackle mob there.
    Somerset Fishing Tackle.
    Oh yeah, I did spell Kirkleagh wrong too.
    Shawn

Mate,
    We always used to fish with the smallest amount of lead when we were bait fishing.
    Never kept catties mate, although in saying that, have been told many times,their flesh is pretty succulent.
    Just remembered the bloody name of the tackle mob there.
    Somerset Fishing Tackle.
    Oh yeah, I did spell Kirkleagh wrong too.
    Shawn
    Thanks. Getting keen to try this out...

Yeah mate
    We love it up there, we are pretty lucky that we are only 45 minutes drive from Somerset.
    Please let us know how you found it if you wind up there.
    Oh yeah, hope you like sharing your space with a few Skippys, the bloody things are everywhere up there.
    Shawn

Yeah mate
    We love it up there, we are pretty lucky that we are only 45 minutes drive from Somerset.
    Please let us know how you found it if you wind up there.
    Oh yeah, hope you like sharing your space with a few Skippys, the bloody things are everywhere up there.
    Shawn
    No problems with wildlife. I am a bit out of the city myself, and only the other day had to encourage a 2+ metre python not to sleep on my back deck

Will maybe try it out after the school holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by back2boats View Post
    No problems with wildlife. I am a bit out of the city myself, and only the other day had to encourage a 2+ metre python not to sleep on my back deck

Will maybe try it out after the school holidays.
    That was something else I meant to say.
    It does get bloody busy there in peak periods, eg School holidays etc
    Shawn
    Last edited by Shawn 66; 11-04-2021 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Cant spell my own bloody name

That was something else I meant to say.
    It does get bloody busy there in peak periods, eg School holidays etc
    Shawn
    Everywhere does. I have been caravanning a while, and you hole up somewhere until the school holidays are over.