Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My 2400 Kevlacat build

Re: My 2400 Kevlacat build

You cat owners sure are a hoot..!

I pulled up next to this bloke fishing solo, out on the bait grounds yesterday...

wet pussy.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    You cat owners sure are a hoot..!

I pulled up next to this bloke fishing solo, out on the bait grounds yesterday...

wet pussy.jpg
    Love it . Did you have to book your parking spot ahead of time? Bloody boats everywhere!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Yeah who would even have the balls to put that on the side of of your boat..

They are all pro boats in the photo..wait a couple of weeks till full on mackie season and there would be another 20-30 rec boats in the pic as well..

Yeah who would even have the balls to put that on the side of of your boat..

I would hazard a guess - a single bloke - much like my Uncle who at one stage owned a V19C Haines aptly named "Nookie Hunter".

That's a kind of common name, I have seen at least another 4 boats with that name, all cats of course.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    I would hazard a guess - a single bloke - much like my Uncle who at one stage owned a V19C Haines aptly named "Nookie Hunter".
    There is a guy getting around with a Noosa cat called Muff Diver. He takes his missus out in a bikini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My neighbour had a boat called "erection" his next boat was "res-erection" sounds kind of interesting, but if you know him, the reason was simple, he owns a fabrication and erection business, his third boat was "res-erected"

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    There is a guy getting around with a Noosa cat called Muff Diver. He takes his missus out in a bikini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They are all over facebook. Some wives are obviously somewhat "better sports" when it comes to these things. Mine.............not so much.

Interesting exercise weighing the boat on the weekend

Landcruiser rating -
    GCM- 6560
    GVM- 3060
    Tow ball rating- 350

Trailer GTM-3500

Boat full of fuel, water, gear for a day trip (no bait or ice)

As weighed
    GCM-6200
    Boat disconnected from car- 3500
    Tow ball weight- 350
    Car only (2 adults, 2 kids, full fuel) 2700
    Car with towball weight- 3050
    Trailer only- connected to car with car off weigh bridge- 3150

As weighed it appears just legal with 10kg left on the GVM of the cruiser or 350kg left in GTM of boat. Very close to being over and by the time I add ice, fish etc I would need to tow home without refueling to be safe. Says something about the guys towing these with smaller duel cabs and makes you wonder about the weekender models with the 350kg kitchen module in them!

gcm.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.jpg

Were you surprised how close you were to being overweight,,?

At least now you have crunched the numbers and can plan a legal trip away...

As you mention a lot of guys, like myself, wouldnt really have a clue what weights we were playing with....though I added an extra set of brakes and uprated my trailer from 2000 to 2500kgs because even rough maths suggested it was going to be way overweight from the standard supplied trailer with anything onboard..

Were you surprised how close you were to being overweight,,?

At least now you have crunched the numbers and can plan a legal trip away...

As you mention a lot of guys, like myself, wouldnt really have a clue what weights we were playing with....though I added an extra set of brakes and uprated my trailer from 2000 to 2500kgs because even rough maths suggested it was going to be way overweight from the standard supplied trailer with anything onboard..
    Very surprised, my guess was 3.2t. I weighed all the removable gear I had in there as I unpacked the boat and that surprised me too being less than 40kg. If you actually had to cut weight the only way would be an alloy trailer and even then wouldn't save a great deal.

Cruiser goes in for a gvm upgrade in a couple of weeks as I'm sure Ive blown that out when I've had holiday gear in the car and the boat on. Seems to be a never ending set of hoops to jump through to keep things legal these days.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

It's a very common scenario, people way under estimate the weight of their boat and the same with "gear" all sorts of stuff gets added, fuel is a big factor with modern boats, most have huge tanks, then cars tend to right on the limit of legal towing requirements, add bullbars, winches extra battery and all sorts of accessories and that too is touch and go, but, we just drive on oblivious to the real weight.

Boats are like caravans - there's an advertised "standard hull weight" but never any further information to clarify just what is included under "standard". Add a bit of "optional" gear like stainless work, batteries, cabling, steering, electronics, pumps, canvas , possibly even the windscreen to turn it into a real world "standard" boat and you get a somewhat different number.

It makes these modern building techniques and composite cores all the more important in builds these days. We are all wanting larger four stroke engines, larger fuel capacity. More ice storage. Plumbed live wells. The list goes on. The thought of using marine ply for a transom or other structural parts on a new boat build is out of the question.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

on our 9mt mono hull we are building weight was a HUUUGE factor. whilst we are playing in the 4500kg catagory, the premmise is still the same.
    it came down to a Dodge ram 2500, though we opted for the petrol version instead. as it has 450kg more payload than the diesel. on top of that we have a fuel dump pump system for the tanks in the boat. so if the boat comes back to the ramp in mallacoota with 300lt of 98 octane fuel left in it. we can empty that into the rams fuel tank "waste not want not" lightening the load of the boat in the process and using up the fuel

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au