Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My 2400 Kevlacat build

My 2400 Kevlacat build

Bought my 2400 in late 2018 in great conditon from perko a member on here in hervey bay. Was a big step up from the 5.2kc I had prior.

Added a garmin 7412 for mapping and continue to run the 585 furuno with p79 for now.

Started with removing the antifoul and adding a full length canopy. Then got sick of polishing so added the wrap from fishwreck in Maryborough.

Started to have corrosion issues with the 140 zooks and they were working hard for some of the bigger trips we do so recently upgraded to 2020 175 fly by wire yams. The extra power is amazing and the boat cruises effortlessly. Floats them very similar to the 140 zooks and the deck has remained completely dry, dont actually notice the bit if extra weight at all. The boat rides noticeably better particularly in a following sea as the extra torque allows me to slow right down and stay on the plane whereas the 140s were always struggling to hold at lower rpm.

Currently waiting on a 72inch minn kota to arrive. Going with the single 36v lithium from BLA. I'll update once its fitted!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Re: My 2400 Kevlacat build

Outstanding change , what a weapon . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

What a gun trailer boat! What’s the WoT speed with the 185 Yams?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Absolutely stunning! Congrats mate on a beautiful refurbishment of an exceptional boat. Thanks for sharing.
    Matilda

I dont thinks there's much debate thats the ultimate trailerboat right there...its hard not to be a little jealous...

man, she must absolutely fly with those new yammies on...

Is it much of a job to fit the MK on..?...will you mount it over the bowsprit or to one side...

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    What a gun trailer boat! What’s the WoT speed with the 185 Yams?
    Its doing 85kph with 17p props at the moment and pulling 6100rpm. I have a set of 19s to try but haven't had a chance with the rubbish weather lately. I think it'll push the 19s ok but not sure if cruise speed will drop to low. Keen to try though!

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I dont thinks there's much debate thats the ultimate trailerboat right there...its hard not to be a little jealous...

man, she must absolutely fly with those new yammies on...

Is it much of a job to fit the MK on..?...will you mount it over the bowsprit or to one side...
    Thanks mate. I plan to offset it as I want to keep the drum winch for anchoring around the islands. I have a mount that puts it off the port side, planning to put the lithium battery under the starboard bunk which should balance the weight nicely

Nice boat

130 pound electric ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Nice boat

130 pound electric ?
    The 72inch 112lb 36v ulterra. I wanted the auto deploy so im not walking around the cab launching it all the time so this was the only practical option for this size boat. Heard mixed reviews about the auto deploy playing up but im fitting it on a quick release bracket so worst case I can slip it off it it dies on a trip. Hoping for the best, should be worth its money just for the spot lock feature

Attachment 123675 This is an 87 inch shaft mate... I think you might be stretching it with a 72 inch

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    Attachment 123675 This is an 87 inch shaft mate... I think you might be stretching it with a 72 inch
    Thanks mate, as far as I know the 87 is only manual deploy? I spoke with a few different guys running the 72 on the 2400 who have said they hold well. Wont know until I try it I guess. This is how low it sits compared to the hull. Fingers crossed it goes ok!

Quote Originally Posted by wahoofishingcrew View Post
    Thanks mate, as far as I know the 87 is only manual deploy? I spoke with a few different guys running the 72 on the 2400 who have said they hold well. Wont know until I try it I guess. This is how low it sits compared to the hull. Fingers crossed it goes ok!

Correct! the 87" is only manual deploy but i definitely went the manual due to greater bite in the water in anything over 15knts... Also have been told the 72" auto deploys are still not sorted so its time for the deckie to earn his keep!!!!

I dont have much experience with how a cat sits in a choppy sea at rest but I wondered about the 72 incher on your hull as well, Wahoo..

By the look of it you are also giving away 4-5inches with your mount too..

Hopefully if its working well on the other blokes boats then it will be cool...

On my 6.25m Supervee hull the 72 inch shaft is Ok up to 10-12 knots but once you get a bit of sloppy, choppy 15 knot stuff the prop starts popping out and I either have to quit or resort to the anchor.....

You might find once it gets to that stage it will struggle to hold you in place anyway due to the size and windage of your boat...it can get a bit frustrating for me as even on nice days we often get a 10-15 knot afternoon breeze which upsets the applecart at a certain point.....I really hate having to drop an anchor by hand now and try to only do it once, when we are positioning for an overnight fish/sleep..

When i was comparing models 18 months ago I would have loved an auto deploy and the local MK dealer told me at the time that MK had changed to stainless parts to the areas that were causing problems with the auto deploy...he assured me then that the issues had been fixed....

I was sceptical and have heard of issues even still recently.....I ended up going a 105 pound Motorguide for $2750 figuring that at a certain point when it starts giving problems I can just get rid of it and buy new again ...

Have you had one before..?...If not you are going to love it though man...nothing better then finding a rock with some fish on it in 50-80m and just dropping the motor and start fishing straight away without having to try and position 100m upwind and doing the whole anchor thing and then finding you have stuffed up and are not dropping in the fishy zone........

Then all you have to worry about is trying to haul those reds up and beating the sharks..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I dont have much experience with how a cat sits in a choppy sea at rest but I wondered about the 72 incher on your hull as well, Wahoo..

By the look of it you are also giving away 4-5inches with your mount too..

Hopefully if its working well on the other blokes boats then it will be cool...

On my 6.25m Supervee hull the 72 inch shaft is Ok up to 10-12 knots but once you get a bit of sloppy, choppy 15 knot stuff the prop starts popping out and I either have to quit or resort to the anchor.....

You might find once it gets to that stage it will struggle to hold you in place anyway due to the size and windage of your boat...it can get a bit frustrating for me as even on nice days we often get a 10-15 knot afternoon breeze which upsets the applecart at a certain point.....I really hate having to drop an anchor by hand now and try to only do it once, when we are positioning for an overnight fish/sleep..

When i was comparing models 18 months ago I would have loved an auto deploy and the local MK dealer told me at the time that MK had changed to stainless parts to the areas that were causing problems with the auto deploy...he assured me then that the issues had been fixed....

I was sceptical and have heard of issues even still recently.....I ended up going a 105 pound Motorguide for $2750 figuring that at a certain point when it starts giving problems I can just get rid of it and buy new again ...

Have you had one before..?...If not you are going to love it though man...nothing better then finding a rock with some fish on it in 50-80m and just dropping the motor and start fishing straight away without having to try and position 100m upwind and doing the whole anchor thing and then finding you have stuffed up and are not dropping in the fishy zone........

Then all you have to worry about is trying to haul those reds up and beating the sharks..
    Thanks mate, i havent had one before but def keen for the spot lock. According to the other guys it holds well but you never know until you try it yourself... Could just be a gazza spec story. I think id have trouble stowing the 87in length wise unless i somehow put it down the gunnel.

I snuck out to northwest Island today, weather was magic and reds were hungry.

Excellent nice fish nice day as well hoping for one of those days this weekend . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......