Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My 2400 Kevlacat build

Re: My 2400 Kevlacat build

Quote Originally Posted by wahoofishingcrew View Post
    Interesting Lovey80, i was also pedantic about flushing and maintenance on my zooks. Flush for 15mins on the muffs then 5 mins through the water port flush. Soapy wash under cowls after every trip. Annodes changed and oil cooler cleaned ever year. Still ended up with corrosion in the exhaust port.

I came back from a 2 hour run and noticed oil leaking when I was strapping it back on trailer. A cover plate under the power head had corroded through and let go as it was cooling after the run. Lucky it didnt happen at sea or it'd be dead zook! Outside they looked immaculate but inside was a different story.

I now run the yams in a flush bag which will hopefully help with warm water opening the thermostat on the flush. Pulled the annodes and thermo at 20hours and there was no salt buildup so hopefully it stays that way. Ill start with the anti salt wash stuff now too.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    for those that have the 140 Zukes, is there anything that can be done to watch out for the corrosion or do preventative maintenance to stop that exhaust port issue? Or has it been solved on the newer engines?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    for those that have the 140 Zukes, is there anything that can be done to watch out for the corrosion or do preventative maintenance to stop that exhaust port issue? Or has it been solved on the newer engines?
    Mine were 2009... is supposedly fixed on newer engines however a mate that is an outboard mech claims he still sees it alot on the newer ones too. Worst bit is you can't really monitor it without taking the powerhead off. My annodes would be slightly corroded however still fine. Theyre cheap to replace so adding them to annual service and flushing the best we can is about all we can do I think

I had a K7 DF150 go through the engine holder. Suzuki were great about it and was replace under warranty. It was an issue on the internal coatings in the exhaust area on mine. Had a hole the size of a 50c piece - i think there is a post on here about it some years ago. I got a DF150AP now - I like this engine and it has been great. Zuke arent the only ones to have corrossions issues - Yamaha had huge issues on the F200/225 that they handled pretty shitty for owners that had the issue intially but came good later with kits

Powercat is going good. Good layout for family duties. Still have a soft spot for the kevlacats though.

Love the wrap, what was the approximate cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Hoskin View Post
    Love the wrap, what was the approximate cost?
    I can't remember exactly but I think it was around 3k. Paul from fishwreck has done a few for me now, hes great to deal with. He has an online quote form if you're chasing a price. My only advice is tow it and get him to fit it, he does an amazing job compared to the sticker mobs ive used. Theres definitely a skill in applying it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    i think thats just zuke metal. The american outboards have their own foundries and have a lower copper content in their alloy. the japs just use their car engines. . I think zukes are fuel efficient and nice when they run but the shine is steadily coming off them because many are dying a premature death. When the dealer in Townsville was flogging them he was also the agent for Salt Away and pushed it pretty hard to be used on the engines.

New axles in... For anyone searching in the future the alko code for these axles on the sealink trailer is 794305 which makes manufacture faster as they have the measurements/designs on file.

Also fitted up the minn kota. Lithium battery fits nicely under starboard bunk. Waiting on weather for a sea test now.

Your only problem now will be figuring out where to keep them all when you start slaying all the Reds with that spotlocker...

You might also need some sort of keeper to stop the head from bouncing in that little bracket that holds the shaft on the trip out and back if its rough.. ..

It’s never rough in a Kevlacat mate. 🤣
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post

You might also need some sort of keeper to stop the head from bouncing in that little bracket that holds the shaft on the trip out and back if its rough.. ..
    It has some upward pressure on it atm, I cant jiggle it at all in the holder but will see if it loosens up after a few trips. I looked at the leccy leg things but decided to go this way so I dont have it on the shaft stealing a couple of inches depth.

I see they're doing a 3 blade prop now too which might be worth looking at.

Does anyone know if I need to isolate the battery before charging with the 240volt charger?

Kc's do everything better I thought, Lovey..

Wahoo, I just trip my resettable circuit breaker when I am recharging..actually I trip it once I'm finished fishing for the trip .....

as for 2 0r 3 blade props there is plenty of discussion on the bass boat forums if you do a google search..

Seems the consensus that 3 blade is better for shallow water fishing where there are waterweeds and 2 blade is better for spotlocking in open water because there is less drag created....

I have only used the 3 blade''s before on my MG and only issue I have is when its bobbing out of the water...or when the missus catchs it on her 80lb handline which tends to cause quite a commotion..

Thanks mate thats an easy solution. I love the money you pay for the kota and they dont even include the circuit breaker

Quote Originally Posted by wahoofishingcrew View Post
    Thanks mate thats an easy solution. I love the money you pay for the kota and they dont even include the circuit breaker

I use Anderson Plugs to connect the MK to the battery, CB is between the Anderson Plug and the battery. My charger has and Anderson Plug as the standard fitting (I do have the clamps which also terminate in an Anderson Plug).

For me it is simply a matter of pull the Anderson Plugs apart and plug the charger straight in, there is no chance then of charging while still connected, well almost. Yes I have put the charger into the Anderson Plug for the MK but then the charger has no idea what's going on and lets me know that there isn't a battery on the end, another charger just shows no voltage which makes you stop and go WT...

Thanks Dignity, I was a bit worried about the high start charge from the charger upsetting the MK. Prob best to disconnect. Anderson plug is an easy fix!