Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: thinking of ordering a Simrad 12" for the tinny...

Re: thinking of ordering a Simrad 12" for the tinny...

I think the poor fuel economy is from me being throttle happy and what Scott mentioned my engine needs to be lifted 50mm i get a lot of spray from the cavitation plate i guess its creating to much drag i am now considering lifting the engine i am going to look back thru the owners manual now about engine height

pppppppppppppp

We are T'ing up another fish so i'll make sure to have the vessel view running i can than find the best fuel economy, i'm being told to run her at 40kph and that should be the sweet cruising speed

Loving using the power tho its not suiting the wallet

Unfortunately Gazza your involved in a sport/hobby that you just can’t afford to do ALL the time.

Like most of us, money is needed for everything every day

A quick question.

Is the boat finished or you still need to do things to finish off?

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Found it, it stopped tracking halfway back to the boat ramp it recorded 11.1nm or 20.55kms the trip back would have been another 10kms, in that we probably drifted about 3.5kms so it works out im roughly getting around 1km/1L of fuel
    That sounds pretty bad - specially in enclosed waters ...... even if you gave it abit I'd still be expecting a 1.5km / lt

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    That sounds pretty bad - specially in enclosed waters ...... even if you gave it abit I'd still be expecting a 1.5km / lt

Chris
    Yeah but that can often be a function of prop selection and engine height.....and as you mention he is cruising at 26 knots with a 90hp on v19 hull with no Tacho so he doesnt even know what revs he is running at and whether his motor is even running within its specified rev range at WOT.....

Bit of work to do on motor set-up methinks and a tacho so he can find the "sweet-spot" if economy bothers him....

But regardless a 90hp pushing that hull will always be working pretty hard..

BTW here is the next size up from Gazza's, a 213 rebuilt by a couple of local guys with an alloy pod and enclosed hardtop added..cruises at 30 knots at 3800 for not much worse fuel economy then Gazza is getting..

terrie boat.jpg

Its a very nice rebuild and for sale currently for 75K.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Yeah but that can often be a function of prop selection and engine height.....and as you mention he is cruising at 26 knots with a 90hp on v19 hull with no Tacho so he doesnt even know what revs he is running at and whether his motor is even running within its specified rev range at WOT.....

Bit of work to do on motor set-up methinks and a tacho so he can find the "sweet-spot" if economy bothers him....

But regardless a 90hp pushing that hull will always be working pretty hard..
    Totally agree - I think the notion of a 90 on that hull - nah not when others are putting 200-300hp motors on V19s . I felt my 5m Seajay barramasta was underpowered with the F70 Yammi - then went up to a 100 (spot on). That's on a hull that would be close to half the weight. My 535 reef raider ran a 90 2 banger - perfect on a real lightweight

Add to that a crew , fuel , gear etc ..... that 90 would be working pretty hard .

You'd still hear how the motor is working without the tacho & once on the plane you could probably feel it as well .
    Propping & motor height would be critical to get something out of it .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

pppppppppppppppp

Will also have to manage weight distribution in the fitout and also passenger distribution will help
    too much weight forward and just pushing water

ideally it would have 150 hp on the back

Imo she goes really well with the 90 on our way back 2 100kg adults sat on the two seats facing backwards she was ass heavy and still powered up and sat on the plane doing 26knots for a good 1/3rd of the trip, don't discount that little 90 as guys with 200hp are only getting 75-80kph im seeing 60kph with 3x 100kg blokes on board

I think theres a lot of drag with the engine being low i can see the water kicking up from the cav plate being to low, i'll fix it soon

I will sort this out next trip and read the fuel flow at WOT and read my RPM i'll read both at flat stick and at 40kph

The point made by others is those 200hp boats are cruising at 3800-4200 rpm with plenty in reserve be able to place themselves where they want on waves in poor conditions or to power through bar crossings
    engine longevity and fuel economy is also there for a correctly powered hull

I guess you guys have to see it in person that little 90 puts the boat on a plane in around 10-12 seconds with me at the console and 2 people on the seats she takes about 15-16 seconds to plane and that isnt punching full thottle

The only thing i can think is you guys are comparing the engine to a 3 cylinder yamaha 90hp 1.2 litre

The mercury 90hp is a beast of a engine for this hull that is no lagging when i power up she gets on the plane very easy

From my first run by my self i think from memory she planed in the low 20kph's

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post

A quick question.

Is the boat finished or you still need to do things to finish off?

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums
    Just wondering this myself. I thought there was a lot more planned cosmetically?