Thread: Lowrance Autopilot

Lowrance Autopilot

Putting in autopilot to talk to HDS Gen 2 touch
    Research shows
    1. Simrad better compass and pump but NAC-2 computer does not talk to HDS $2.9k
    2. Lowrance has NAC-1 + average pump + shit compass $1.4k
    3. Navionics has Lowrance pump NAC-1 computer but good 9 compass $2k
    Suppose option 3 best
    Shame I can't get option 3 with a pump upgrade
    Maybe look at individual part's and negotiate

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev

Re: Lowrance Autopilot

Trev - I have the Simrad NSS Evo 3 hooked up to the autopilot. Dont waste money on the NAC-1 computer, I started there and replaced with NAC-2 and have also added the Precision 9 compass with the Point 1 AP GPS puck . System works well now. NAC-1 just does not have any tuning capability and it would crazy Ivan during heading hold all the time. Not familiar with the HDS not talking with the NAC-2 - where did you hear that? Key to getting the system right is to ensure you bleed the system REALLY WELL !!!

Greg
    Guys on the hull truth were saying they would get the Simrad NAC-2 talking to HDS then when they did system update it stopped talking then they would be chasing the older software to remedy

Cheers

Trev

I am beginning to wonder best system that is completely separate from map that just tracks straight line well
    I just want this for long straight offshore runs

Cheers

Trev

Maybe I have to consider something like thisScreenshot_20210322_134227_com.android.chrome.jpg

Cheers

Trev

Its convenient to have the MFD control the device but I would probably go the Raymarine unit as well if I went again. I had an S1000 Autopilot on the Fisher, it just used NMEA 0183 connections to the Lowrance plotter I had and was great (ran straight as a line) but it only had a handheld control rather than the dash mounted controller.

There is no difference in the autopilot kits for Simrad, Lowrance and B&G. They are all made by Navico so 100% compatible. Must be software bugs in the update if they lost connection.

old mate below installed the Raymarine system

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Greg I was wondering if you were going to recommend thisScreenshot_20210322_164339_com.android.chrome.jpg

Cheers

Trev

I'm not a fan of Lowrance as I haven't seen it deliver to promises
    Happy to have an autopilot independent
    Looking at option not way expensive
    Considering Garman Raymarine comparable alternatives
    Happy for feedback
    ThanksScreenshot_20210322_165213_com.android.chrome.jpg

Cheers

Trev

I think they will all be fine when set up correctly. The Simrad pack you posted above is what I have but I didn’t need the stand alone controller as I use the MFD and a little Bluetooth remote while trolling. You will still need a GPS puck with that kit as the Precision 9 is purely a stabilised compass and you need to make sure you mount it away from any magnetic interference or grab the HS60 GPS Compass and have just that rather than the point 1 and Precision 9. Not sure if you need the Pump 2, I just have the Pump 1 and it is fine.

Best to plan for the future if you are looking at something else down the track to replace the Lowrance. I’ve always used Garmin and Furuno but have been really impressed with the NSS12 and 9 EVO 3 I have in this boat. Great menu system and I prefer it over the Garmin I had in the previous boat.

Had the NAC-1 on my boat for almost 4 years now. Mainly use it for heading hold, running routes and go to`s. The thing has been faultless, no way you could steer as straight as it does. Boat is 5.5m plate with a 150 mrec. my 2c.