Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Change of mind... Maybe bass boat time?

Re: Change of mind... Maybe bass boat time?

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Heres the 1600 Bullet candidate but 16 foot on a speed boat it may only fit 1-2 people
    Just enough room for you and all your friends and you still have room for one more.
    Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

posted twice
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post
    How stable do you think a casting deck is going to be with that bow?
    You dont run the deck right up to the tip of the V its a bit of a compromise

You dont run the deck right up to the tip of the V its a bit of a compromise
    So long as your definition of 'compromise' includes 'not at all suited', sure.

Those old ski boats were built with one purpose only, not too sure they would be my pick to make a fishing boat out of, there's a lot more suitable starting points.

Made for speed and that’s about it
    Have raced many ski boats as Observer and in any chop they ride hard and wet
    We would smash seat mounts foot rests crack foredecks engine mounts basically anything could break on them

Bass boats have completely different hull shape underneath and a lot more width further to five bouyancy

You can get a second hand bass boat for 20-25k
    Less then will be spent rebuilding that center console

Another one that comes to mind is a Pride Cheetah, definatly dont want a decked out tinny they are all shit old hulls under 3k would only get a old quintrex 4.3m hull or a even smaller newer hull around 4m, i want long 18-19ft for a bass boat

Can anyone name some hulls suitable?

Cruisecraft did a mid 80s bow rider that would have enough buoyancy to do it properly

Many of these orphan conversions get sold on as they don’t perform and look ridiculous

The Honda dealer near me has restored an old kind of tri hull bow rider kind of thing (like the boat in the old Flipper TV series) but it's about 16-17' long, has the original old Johnson on it, would make a good boat for what you want, if you could ever find one.

I think i recall seeing one the other day Noel, i went thru gumtree and only found 1 good aluminium hull for 2k

Im going to try sell the merc and yammi hopefully get about 7k than just buy a cheap johnson 140hp for $500 for the V19 too many ofthe trolls on ausfish and facebook have me shaking about loosing my mercury 90 as oncesits in the drink itsano recovery and im at a loss also if the engine does fall off and the hull takes on water and my stringers get wet that whole V19 hull will be no good it will need a full rebuild again

So with thehopefully 7k i can invest in another boat could possibly even get some profession work done

If it came to a total loss of the V19 hull i could try my best to use the 7k to buy a 5.25m brand new tinny hull to suit my trailer, options will be all open if the V19 fails

If all shit fails with my current boat.. merc and yam will see me enough coin to buy anew Horizon Angler 525 open tinny they are $6.3k called SeaJay on a xpack 535 they want 11k in there ass...

My trailer i need to keep for 5 years from registered date legally so im keeping the trailer no matter what happens

This tinny is 5.25m quiet a large tinny and its the only manufacturer doing tinnies this big with pressed sides its the cheapest to almost 5k cheaper than seajay

Would look alright with a casting deck, a floor, and arear locker/deck plus weld on a grab bar from bow to transom on both sides to stiffen the hull if it ever goes offshore

Screenshot_20210324-152918_Chrome.jpg

This tinny is 5.25m quiet a large tinny and its the only manufacturer doing tinnies this big with pressed sides its the cheapest to almost 5k cheaper than seajay

Would look alright with a casting deck, a floor, and arear locker/deck plus weld on a grab bar from bow to transom on both sides to stiffen the hull if it ever goes offshore

Screenshot_20210324-152918_Chrome.jpg
    A Polycraft is a good alternative. The 4.1 Challenger is a lot more stable at rest than a tinnie and softer riding as well. A casting platform is included so little need for modification. They are quite competitive on price too.

Why do you think the Merc will fall off, but an old 140 won't? I think you are being way too paranoid about the whole thing, finish the boat you have, get it on a registered trailer and then sort out your direction.

Why do you have to keep the trailer for 5 years? never heard of that.