Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bunker group Boult/Sykes

Bunker group Boult/Sykes

So I can’t believe it’s taken this long but the cherries have lined up and have booked accom. at the Captain cook and will be towing the boat up to 1770 for the first time fishing in the first week of May, it’s a 28% waning moon that week so I’m assuming the run will be good but the fishing might be a bit hard going without the current, Plan is to fish Boult Wednesday and get a feel for the lay of the land then head into the lagoon for the night and fish Sykes on the Thursday! This is all weather dependant of course, for the seasoned fishos that head up that way does that sound like a decent plan for a first time scout or have I missed anything, will be dropping into the vmr to pick their brains and show them my planned routes before setting off aswell
    Thanks all

Blog Entries

Re: Bunker group Boult/Sykes

Good luck
    take pics
    write a fishing report please

Yeah will do mate, hopefully it’s worth reporting on 😂

Good luck Terry, your old mans boat has come up a treat.

Cheers mate, nothing left to do to it now just go fishing but the wife must think I have too much spare time on days off so now pulling down fencing and ripping up pool tile, got out last week for a couple of hrs though and bagged a nice eating size 10kg spanno at the gneerings

Well bit of an update! Went up to 1770 on 4/5 and headed out Wednesday morning to fish east of Boult reef but not sure what it was but heaps of shows on good bottom but it all seemed shut down and fish weren’t feeding, there was a blow that night so headed back to ramp with only one fish in the bag 😢, Thursday morning we waited for the easing of winds and punched out to the lagoon for protection, woke up Friday morning to a glass out and headed straight to Sykes, first drop a good red throat and that was it, kept moving around finding good bottom picking off hussar,trout and red throat here and there however anything decent that took a bit to get up was taxed, was running a torium 30 with 80lb locked up and still wasn’t enough however Friday was defo better than the Wednesday. Overall was a great trip to get away and gather info about the ramp,bar,lagoon entrance and as we started our way home a nice isolated bommie about 5m high not very big caught my eye so went back over to have a look and it was loaded so did a few drops and got smoked with braid getting dragged over the reef, interestingly both times was hit as I was winding back up off the bottom, unfortunately I had run out of time to really fish it so will have me coming back to check it out,

Glad you got out Terry, it's always nice to try some where else. How did your rig perform with all the work you've put into it.
    I would have loved to join you for the trip but too many commitments, I'm definitely looking at going up early July.

Performed really well, was surprised at how well the transducer kept a clear bottom at 20knots in good conditions(Al modified the pods to follow the hull and I installed a ss164 transducer in the pod), the swell on the coast causes it to get patchy, punching out to the lagoon with a following sea chewed some fuel think I used 85l for 65km in 2m conditions😂 but punched back Friday arv at 37kn using 1/1, let me know if there is a crew heading up in July as I am more than keen to drag the boat back up theee and get some pointers from the pros

Attachment 123861Trailing edge of 5m high lump that I ran over, just bait and reef?
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Pic didn't work. I'll let you know when I'm up there again although it's been a couple of years since I've been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Pic didn't work. I'll let you know when I'm up there again although it's been a couple of years since I've been there.
    We need to catch up for a chat soon Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Well bit of an update! Went up to 1770 on 4/5 and headed out Wednesday morning to fish east of Boult reef but not sure what it was but heaps of shows on good bottom but it all seemed shut down and fish weren’t feeding, there was a blow that night so headed back to ramp with only one fish in the bag , Thursday morning we waited for the easing of winds and punched out to the lagoon for protection, woke up Friday morning to a glass out and headed straight to Sykes, first drop a good red throat and that was it, kept moving around finding good bottom picking off hussar,trout and red throat here and there however anything decent that took a bit to get up was taxed, was running a torium 30 with 80lb locked up and still wasn’t enough however Friday was defo better than the Wednesday. Overall was a great trip to get away and gather info about the ramp,bar,lagoon entrance and as we started our way home a nice isolated bommie about 5m high not very big caught my eye so went back over to have a look and it was loaded so did a few drops and got smoked with braid getting dragged over the reef, interestingly both times was hit as I was winding back up off the bottom, unfortunately I had run out of time to really fish it so will have me coming back to check it out,
    We were up there Friday/Saturday. Tough fishing. We got 2 limits of hussar, caught and released about the same amount. Other odds and sods, one good red, another just under. Over all, very underwhelming.

At least we weren't the only ones finding the same.

Strangely enough, didn't have any trouble with sharks.

Blog Entries

Which one of you boof heads took out the bowser at the Caltex on the weekend?

Hmmm, wasn't me.

That could be an expensive exercise.

😂 what day was that? fueled up there Thursday morning, havn’t had a phone call yet although my reading glasses did go over the side the day before 😂
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁