Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gotta seat thing happening atm

Gotta seat thing happening atm

Hope to finish this thing tomorrow
    Suspension seat plus sideways support frame
    Big trips (100+ km) offshore hanging onto steering wheel is killing my shoulders
    And this suspension thing has to help when sitting
    Gotta finish it tomorrow
    Going out Saturday IMG_20210309_184512.jpgIMG_20210309_184502.jpgIMG_20210310_064631.jpgIMG_20210310_180759.jpgIMG_20210310_180805.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev

Re: Gotta seat thing happening atm

Wow Trevor thats just amazing...

I also suffer badly on the longer journey's...but mainly in the back and also hands from carpel tunnel..

are you just going to fix it straight onto a swivel base....?..will it be able to be to moved forward and back ..?

and have you had to modify your whole seatbox arrangement..?

You didnt think armrests would also help..?

I second that WOW ! I tried to make my own a couple of years ago ...... ended in failure. Yours look pretty good & strong
    Frank

What breed are the suspension bases? They certainly look the business. Looking forward to seeing it come together.

Hey Trev instead of all that framing around the seat could u just use a 5mm plate of aluminium to reinforce the seat? How much did the susspension base cost?

Finished install Friday
    As you can see I relocated the armrests to become leg braces for when standing or half sitting on seat
    Went fishing offshore Saturday and did 140km in some messy sea and the system worked beyond my greatest hopes
    I returned home with no fatigue and shoulders, arms, hands and back all in good condition
    One thing I found was how comfortable it was to sit back into the seat and relax even in a messy sea
    I did have to lean forward to adjust the steering - next project autopilot then travel will be taken to a whole new levelIMG_20210312_172858.jpgIMG_20210312_172814_1.jpgIMG_20210312_142014.jpgIMG_20210312_130007.jpgIMG_20210312_113457.jpgIMG_20210310_180759.jpgIMG_20210310_064631.jpgIMG_20210309_184502.jpg

Cheers

Trev

Hi Dis
    Had swivel, slider and armrests before
    Removed armrests as I found you couldn't spread your legs for stability
    Slider was a pain and stuck and broke
    Swivel failed due to offshore impact and the seat works far better fixed so as not to swivel
    Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Wow Trevor thats just amazing...

I also suffer badly on the longer journey's...but mainly in the back and also hands from carpel tunnel..

are you just going to fix it straight onto a swivel base....?..will it be able to be to moved forward and back ..?

and have you had to modify your whole seatbox arrangement..?

You didnt think armrests would also help..?
    IMG_20210312_073958.jpgIMG_20210312_074005.jpgIMG_20210312_074017.jpg

Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    What breed are the suspension bases? They certainly look the business. Looking forward to seeing it come together.
    Seat suspension is very solid
    Adjustable for weight up 150kg
    They sell for $940 for 1 delivered
    Or $1800 for 2 delivered
    Guy in WA makes them IMG_20210312_064330.jpg

Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey Trev instead of all that framing around the seat could u just use a 5mm plate of aluminium to reinforce the seat? How much did the susspension base cost?
    Gaz I'm not reinforcing the seat base but framing for the outriggers to hold me in place when standing in front of the seatIMG_20210312_172814_1.jpgIMG_20210312_172805.jpg

Cheers

Trev

Seat box was lowered a bit
    Nothing excessive
    Door still in place and functionalIMG_20210312_172849.jpg

Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by frank100 View Post
    I second that WOW ! I tried to make my own a couple of years ago ...... ended in failure. Yours look pretty good & strong
    Frank
    I did the same Frank
    Spend a stupid amount of time and effort and failed as well but when I did the sold ones were 3 to 5k$
    But what you get now for $1k is great value and well worth it

When offshore and a bump is approaching I just let go off steering wheel and let the seat suspension do it's thing - completely pain-free

Cheers

Trev

Looks great

When you're next in the boat, could I trouble you to measure:

1) height to top of seat base (ie where your bum sits on it)
    2) vertical clearance between the front edge of the seat base and the bottom of the steering wheel
    3) horizontal clearance between the front edge of the seat base and the bottom of the steering wheel
    4) steering wheel diameter?

I have a similar looking helm setup w.r.t. steering wheel height and angle, and am wondering whether I can squeeze in a suspension base and still have room for an esky under. My setup will differ obviously but knowing your dimensions will help determine if it's feasible or not. I don't have a wheel or seat fitted atm - just mocking things up to see what works.

Trevelly , Thanks for the reply, glad to hear they work well. I might revisit making my own again but I value the swivel function too much and lowering the seat box would be a bit of a task.
    Yours are a lot simpler than what I had in mind. About what sort of travel (up &down) does the seat provide ?
    Frank

Frank and Mopheus here are the dimensions you are asking about
    Frank you can see there isn't a huge amount of travel but be sure it works really well at absorbing shockIMG_20210405_091930.jpg

Cheers

Trev

Thanks, that's super helpful.

I can make it all fit in theory. Floor to top of seat height in this section sketch is 865mm, which is 95mm higher than the original fold-out seats that came with the boat. It does put the seat base above the gunwales but the seats have armrests and I can incorporate a side barrier into the new rocket launcher, so that shouldn't be a major issue. Also the gunwales sweep up towards the dash so there's still side support forward of the seat.

Tempted. Very tempted.

Is the difference in comfort enough that you'd give it a solid "would definitely do it in any other boat I owned" or "it's nice but I could live without it"?

rEA6iHK.jpg