Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gotta seat thing happening atm

Re: Gotta seat thing happening atm

Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post
    Thanks, that's super helpful.

I can make it all fit in theory. Floor to top of seat height in this section sketch is 865mm, which is 95mm higher than the original fold-out seats that came with the boat. It does put the seat base above the gunwales but the seats have armrests and I can incorporate a side barrier into the new rocket launcher, so that shouldn't be a major issue. Also the gunwales sweep up towards the dash so there's still side support forward of the seat.

Tempted. Very tempted.

Is the difference in comfort enough that you'd give it a solid "would definitely do it in any other boat I owned" or "it's nice but I could live without it"?

Attachment 123665
    I reckon this says it all.

"Went fishing offshore Saturday and did 140km in some messy sea and the system worked beyond my greatest hopes
    I returned home with no fatigue and shoulders, arms, hands and back all in good condition"

Now you've got me started on maybe doing something with mine, been out measuring and it is possibly doable, I can't cut down my current icebox, might have to build a new one (2 actually if I took pity on my crew). I have been on a similar system and it is a joy to ride instead of worrying about every bump.

Suspension is one of the best things I have added to the boat
    Up there with electric motor spotlock
    Adding the armrests at seat level hold me solid against side sway without having to brace myself to steering wheel through arms/hands/shoulders and resting against the pad on front of seat the suspension assists here to such that I can even sit half on seat half standing and that works too
    When sitting and boat drops I just let go of steering wheel so I am not hanging on
    Next big addition will be autopilot and I can just sit back and relax - it's that good

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev

Trev, do they weigh much, still trying to figure out how to install them in my boat.

Thanks guys, I'll add them to the list.

May my better half never find that spreadsheet

They are aluminium but very solid
    Didn't weigh it but my recollection holding it up for a pic I would guess a 6 to 7kg
    Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Trev, do they weigh much, still trying to figure out how to install them in my boat.
    IMG_20210204_192513.jpeg

Cheers

Trev

Trev,
    Thanks for the dimension info. You have re inspired my self build idea so have been in the shed for a couple of days. Just finished a "mock up" of one leg which looks promising, I'll let you know if I get anywhere.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by frank100 View Post
    Trev,
    Thanks for the dimension info. You have re inspired my self build idea so have been in the shed for a couple of days. Just finished a "mock up" of one leg which looks promising, I'll let you know if I get anywhere.

Frank
    Frank I thought not a lot to make for the money but do realize each and everyone of those legs have a bearing race seated into the aluminium leg to ensure smooth and solid pivot and no slop or wobble - if you have a bearing press and do your homework - not just legs and bolts you might get there - good luck it's an awesome project if you get it right. Are you up North of Brisbane - if so I can give you some shocks and springs from my attempts to add to your set-up
    Cheers

Trev

Trev,
    Mate thanks for the offer, but I am in Cairns. Yes I have thought about bearings on the pivots, was thinking bronze on stainless shaft but that's a bit further down the track as my current idea is to have the load taken by a 'sprung hinge' (for want of a better description) . What I have in mind is totally different from my original idea and fairly different from what you have but yours made me think along a different line . Don't want to go into too much detail here as it may not work !.
    I am intrigued by what you have in that it must move in the horizontal as well as vertical yet you say their good in operation so maybe not as disconcerting as I first thought. Anyway thanks again for the offer I do think I will have to incorporate a shocker, was thinking a motor bike type from fleabay.
    Frank

The shock springs I have are from quad bikes same come from snow mobiles
    Good luck

Cheers

Trev

Trev,
    Exactly what I had in mind if I need a shocker, hopefully I'll get back to this project next week, I won't be able to look at it for a few days though.
    Frank

Bought a pair and they are solid units. Weight is 6.5kg each including fixings and the lightweight aluminium shock adjusting wrench. Uncompressed height is 213mm between mounting surfaces with 100mm of vertical travel (ie 113mm compressed).

I went for the natural anodised finish but they're available in black too like Trev's.

Seat Right Flyer.jpgSeat Right Instructions.jpgSEAt Right Aluminium.jpgSEAt Right Black.jpg

You won't regret it
    I did a 180km run offshore Saturday and morning was white caps and bumpy - I was 35-40kph and sitting back
    Only nuisance was leaning forward to keep on track
    Autopilot and all is good
    I had shockies set at about 1/4 first trip and bottomed out about a dozen times on bigger swells
    Screwed up to 2/3 atm and quite a bit firmer and haven't bottomed out since
    I am 88-90kg

Cheers

Trev

Trevelly
    Wow sounds good, I will be getting back to mine next week. I'll certainly let you know how it goes, I think what I'm doing might actually work.
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Frank and Mopheus here are the dimensions you are asking about
    Frank you can see there isn't a huge amount of travel but be sure it works really well at absorbing shockAttachment 123662

Hey Trevor is that 900mm, the height to the bottom of the steering wheel or too the top of the seat ...>

Also does the seat height drop when you seat a warm body on it...?

The reason I'm asking is that my seat currently is about 800 at the front where the slightly higher bolster part is and 770 at the back where my ass rests...

I worry if I go to say 900 high that the steering wheel will interfere with my legs and I will have to stoop to reach the wheel....

Although at least if it proves to be too high its a simple matter to cut a bit more off the bottom of the seat box ...

I'd like to have a crack at fitting my new Seat-right tomorrow..

D
    900mm to top of seat
    900mm to us of steering wheel
    It will work perfectly well with lower seat
    My seat height is to see out front through windscreen and yes my feet are up on a front bar and yes I stoop forward for steering wheel - autopilot to assist with this
    Seat doesn't drop with warm or cold body

Cheers

Trev