Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gotta seat thing happening atm

Re: Gotta seat thing happening atm

Thanks for that mate...

I'll have a bit of a look at it in the morning..I cant go any lower then about 900 total height and still retain use of the hatch cover on the seatbox so I will try that first and take it from there..

The reason I am happy with 900mm is beyond needing it to look out the windscreen is also as the side braces I added are holding my upper legs-hips in place when standing in front of seat
    Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Thanks for that mate...

I'll have a bit of a look at it in the morning..I cant go any lower then about 900 total height and still retain use of the hatch cover on the seatbox so I will try that first and take it from there..
    tapatalk_1617827074839.jpeg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    The reason I am happy with 900mm is beyond needing it to look out the windscreen is also as the side braces I added are holding my upper legs-hips in place when standing in front of seattapatalk_1617827074839.jpeg

All done...

Seat height now is about 900mm with better visibility out the front..

I will just have to adjust my footrest a bit higher and save up for an autopilot now...

IMG_2338.jpg
    IMG_2340.jpg

Very tidy D
    They are nice solid kit and work great
    It will be probably set a bit soft to start with which is a good place to start
    Take the adjusters out with you first trip it's easy to tune
    Congrats
    Happy for you mate
    Got an awesomely considerate wife mate

Cheers

Trev

Quote Originally Posted by TREVELLY View Post
    Very tidy D
    They are nice solid kit and work great
    It will be probably set a bit soft to start with which is a good place to start
    Take the adjusters out with you first trip it's easy to tune
    Congrats
    Happy for you mate
    Got an awesomely considerate wife mate

Cheers man..I cant wait to play around with a bit of trial and error on the setting next trip..

Mine was a bit easier then yours as the existing swivel seat base lined up with the holes on the Seat-right ...so all I had to do was remove my travel oven, remove the hatch, cut the hatch space an inch higher and cut 4 inchs off the bottom of the seatbox and re-install...

Just have to figure out a higher, removeable footrest now..I want to extend the headspace for the bunks out to the seatbox by raising the floor level in front of the seatboxes to the cabin bulkhead divider height...

So thanks for the tips and advice, Trev....the Supervee hull itself has been a blessing in terms of reducing back pain but hopefully this will be even sweeter on those long trips and overnighters..

and yeah she isnt a bad old chook, mate....Now I just have to get these deckwinchs set up so I can get her onto a few Reds and nannies..that would put a smile on her dial for sure..

Hey Trevor can you take a look at my pics and tell me if you have fitted your Seatright the other way around....I'm told mine should be turned 180 degrees but there is no fitting instructions with it....

Hey Trevor can you take a look at my pics and tell me if you have fitted your Seatright the other way around....I'm told mine should be turned 180 degrees but there is no fitting instructions with it....
    You've got it right as is - shock base plate mount at the rear bottom. That way the seat moves down and away from the wheel under compression. Trev's is mounted the same per the photos on the first page of this thread, and I'll be mounting mine like yours as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post
    You've got it right as is - shock base plate mount at the rear bottom. That way the seat moves down and away from the wheel under compression. Trev's is mounted the same per the photos on the first page of this thread, and I'll be mounting mine like yours as well.
    Haha. the bloke who contacted me on FB after seeing a photo of mine online is named Mike...took a couple of hours to click but yeah its the Mike who actually builds them...

Apparently we are all a bunch of doofus's and they are meant to be fitted the other way round.....oops.!..

Apparently we are all a bunch of doofus's and they are meant to be fitted the other way round.....oops.!..
    Moving forwards under compression? Seems arse backwards to me BUT I just looked at Youtube and sure enough the Shockwave seats (similar concept) move forward under compression.

Thanks for pointing out my doofusness before I did something silly

Given Trev has some hours on his setup in reverse, it'll be interesting to know what he thinks if he reverses them and tries them that way.

Found this on Facebook - company page is 'Vent Right' which seems to be the store that Mike's Machining sells Seat Right through.

Normal mounting position:
    - Shock-to-baseplate mount front bottom
    - Seat mounted to the smaller of the two plates
    - Mechanism travels forward when compressed

Alternate mounting position:
    - Shock-to-baseplate mount rear top
    - Seat mounted to the larger of the two plates (ie flipped vertically; minimises box overhang)
    - Mechanism travels forward when compressed

qwap8bt.jpg

Yeah mate Mike told me that the mechanism should travel forward ....

I have only put about 12 hours on it since fitting 2.5 weeks ago but some of that was gusting 25 knots and it just didnt really feel right going backwards..

I'll swap it and see what happens..as mentioned that will change the position of the seat unless its flipped upside down as well...

The reason I have mine in this direction going down backwards is because I stand in front of it and the only way I get any shock absorption from it is if it can travel backwards otherwise it is rigid against lower back - no thanks
    Also I sit on front edge of the seat pushing down and backwards and I want shock absorption in both directions
    Going down forwards will be more restraining and holding you firm to the steering wheel which is less taxing upon the absorption mechanism but can and will restrain you from travelling backwards which you may prefer but I want shock absorption in two directions not just one
    The boat action is both vertical for impact and lounging forwards and I want absorption from both
    I don't see this as a right and wrong but rather what you want from the performance - I can see it satisfies both if you are sitting on top and have precompressed the unit but not if you are leaning against the front as it will only precompress if it can travel backwards under load
    I will leave mine as I have installed it giving me relief vertically when sitting on and horizontally when leaning against the front of the seat
    Having said all the above I will one day swap it and see how the difference feels
    Cheers

Trev

Im sure its been discussed before but what is wrong with a truck seat suspension system? They are relatively cheap and work pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by Brettoh View Post
    Im sure its been discussed before but what is wrong with a truck seat suspension system? They are relatively cheap and work pretty well
    From what I've read: corrosion + they don't tend to have enough travel for boat use and bottom out heavily.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post
    From what I've read: corrosion + they don't tend to have enough travel for boat use and bottom out heavily.
    Mate had them on his boat and my 70 kgs had no issues, somebody around 120 kgs (note to crew mates I'm not talking about you) might have a different issue. Also was were fairly well protected against the elements.