Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Seeing no one has answered this yet.. here goes

Re: Seeing no one has answered this yet.. here goes

Quote Originally Posted by wahoofishingcrew View Post
    Ummm didnt it fail sitting in the yard so you had to redo it?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Normally you would consider performing an actual load test rather than just applying gravity

Quote Originally Posted by wahoofishingcrew View Post
    Ummm didnt it fail sitting in the yard so you had to redo it?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
    It failed because i was slack i left the top cap open water could have channelled along and down from the top,it could have been when the hull took on water and i drilled the bung hole to drain it, the transom was the beginning of the build i used the wrong plywood it delaminated with just regular rain water

Lots of problems lots of my problems and i took to long to install and fully lock in and sealed the transom between the transom start to transom finish i had tarp failure a few times in heavy down poors all i can put it down to was lack of covering the job and taking too long to complete the transom, that first transom took something like 4-5 months my second transom in thermolite was done in 3 weeks

Where i really and honestly ####ed up was using piece together tarps to cover the boat i kept buying 5.5m tarps for a 6m hull i really needed a 6.5m tarp or larger so i had to bodge 2 tarps over each other and it came undone it wasnt untill 11 months ago i bought a huge 7mx5m tarp a bit much a bit late the boat copped afloggin just before i bought the big single tarp and it flooded 2 stringers but they were unglassed and the plywood dried out

I finally got a hang of the steering and put her in first gear and havent looked back, big learning curve PPP on my part i slacked off and it kicked my ass but i soilder thru the rough times and here i am one exhausted mf but im nearly there

Quintessential gazza....

I guess homer did succeed in the end according to gazza.

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Normally you would consider performing an actual load test rather than just applying gravity
    Right, so how on earth do u load test a transom?

As the saying goes = "there are lots of ways to skin a cat " it just helps to know how to handle a knife

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Or what a cat is

Seeing no one has answered this yet.. here goes

Gazza, I think that you would load test a new transom they way you load test an old transom, by flexing the motor and looking/feeling for movement.

I’ve given your question some thought, and I can’t really think of any other test you could do.

You have to trust the strength of your build, put the motor on, secure in place and put some weight on it and see and feel for any movement/flexing.

Can’t think of any other specific test. Someone else may know a better way.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Shakey i done that eaxct test i uploaded a video almost 1000 views in 24 hours mostly people just laughing at the test.. took the video down

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Shakey i done that eaxct test i uploaded a video almost 1000 views in 24 hours mostly people just laughing at the test.. took the video down
    I saw that Gazza, but I can’t think of any other way. Just trust your build.

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast