Thread: Wire traces for surf

Wire traces for surf

Hi hi all,
    did a quick search through this forum about wire traces in surf but no luck. I’m interested what kind of wire traces are people using in the surf. I’ve never used any and never been bitten off but also haven’t landed a 5kg tailor either. I was looking at some information on big greenbacks and a number of the authors talk about using a 6 inch wire trace with a couple of ganged 6/0’s and strip bait. Are they talking about black nylon coated multistrand or single strand? And ideas on breaking strain as well.
    Thanks all in advance. Mike

Re: Wire traces for surf

hey reckon just a 3 gang hook setup would be okay for tailor , we use to fish shark at night and would use think it was the 9 inch black wire trace setup as we used to get a few bronze mixed in but and also when they roll over near the surf they can pop the line to but 30 pound should be okay if you dont have wire trace , say 30 lb metre leader with the 3 gangs and butterflied mullet fillet , must dust off my surf rods and alvey reels been long time , good luck

I've never needed a wire trace for tailor fishing, the gang hooks are ample.
    20lb mono for a leader when the tailor are about.
    Jack.

Thanks Jack and Cat, I’ve never used one either because I’ve always used gangs of 3-4 but I was just interested what sort of wire these guys chasing the greenbacks with 2 x 6/0s and strip bait were using.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I've never needed a wire trace for tailor fishing, the gang hooks are ample.
    20lb mono for a leader when the tailor are about.

Wire traces for surf

4 gang hooks with a swivel on the front gives you plenty of protection from tailor bite offs. I often use 4x4/0 (no swivels between hooks), last hook might just swing and miss the tail, depending on bait size. Lots of fish on the bottom 2 hooks.
    Your more likely to get sniped from a shiny new sinker or big shiny brass swivel, if there are lots of fish about.
    I fished 12lb leader one year (typically use 20), just to see how it went. A lot of fish and sessions on the same rig, with no bite offs.

My dad who had not beach fished for 25 years, but did a lot years ago, insisted on using his old black wire traces (ready made type). After a few days, with lesser success, got rid of the wire and then proceeded to school the young(er) guys on how to beach fish. He agreed, best without wire.... and that had to unwind a lot of years thinking wire was the only way.

... however, if you send the tailor back live, with 2 x 10/0 hooks, suggest about 90lb wire!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tailor are nearly always caught on the rear hook so i would just snell your hooks and check your hooks every fish to easy.

Here in Sydney the wire trace deters tailors when spinning lures because our tailors are much smaller they can swollow the whole lure or even bite the swivel as it shines it looks like a scale, usually our tailor in the bay are chasing small 4cm white bait so u have to match with a slug that size, i have tried wire traces the single strand stuff is much better than the black coated stuff just use pliers when winding the single strand trace around its self so its tight as u only wind the trace around u dobt tie a knot in it

Thanks guys, I think I’ll stick with what ive been doing in the past. I know what feeding tailor are like so I’m always careful to use black swivels and dull sinkers

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Here in Sydney the wire trace deters tailors when spinning lures because our tailors are much smaller they can swollow the whole lure or even bite the swivel as it shines it looks like a scale, usually our tailor in the bay are chasing small 4cm white bait so u have to match with a slug that size, i have tried wire traces the single strand stuff is much better than the black coated stuff just use pliers when winding the single strand trace around its self so its tight as u only wind the trace around u dobt tie a knot in it

Mikey u can get i think 16lb single strand trace and try it it may work with say WA tailors they are massive but our tailers are mostly around 30-45cm so the traces gauge in tgickness may deter the smaller fish

If u are chosing single strand over multi there is a bit of difference as to rigging up, the single strand u just wrap it around its self tightly and trim the tag, from memory the black multi strand u needed to tie a knot or something like that and i vaugle remember u may have needed to melt the plastic at the knot so it bonded but it has been many years since i've used a trace

Thanks Gazza. I’ve used singlestrand up here for spaniards and trolling in breaking strains from 27 to about 90 lb but unsure how it would be in the crashing surf....I’d expect it to get kinked. Anyway, thanks all for your input. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Mikey u can get i think 16lb single strand trace and try it it may work with say WA tailors they are massive but our tailers are mostly around 30-45cm so the traces gauge in tgickness may deter the smaller fish

If u are chosing single strand over multi there is a bit of difference as to rigging up, the single strand u just wrap it around its self tightly and trim the tag, from memory the black multi strand u needed to tie a knot or something like that and i vaugle remember u may have needed to melt the plastic at the knot so it bonded but it has been many years since i've used a trace

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyh View Post
    Hi hi all,
    I’m interested what kind of wire traces are people using in the surf.
    I saw this video, I was going to give it a go.