Thread: North West Island Intel???

North West Island Intel???

Hi all, depending on few things coming together myself and familly might be able to tag along with a couple of other like minded families for 4 nights camping at North West in the last week of the coming school holidays. Anyway, thought i would start doing a bit of prep just in case the stars align and i can make it happen. Having never seen the joint i was keen for a bit of first hand intel around boat access and tides etc. Format is 3 famillies in 3 7m+ plate boats. all first timers to North West.

- How much tide is needed to get in/out of the lagoon with 7m trailer boats (i understand its not like musgrave / fitzroy)? Week in question has about a 1.9 - 2.1M morning high before lunch for the few days.

- When parked up in the lagoon is normal to let them dry out or is there enough water keep water under them?

- Read somewhere that there is crap load of mice there, is that right?

- Any other useful tips would be well received.

Keen to here form someone with first hand experience who's done the camping thing there with decent sized trailer boats.

Scott

Re: North West Island Intel???

No lagoon Scott, just reef flat which you go over to get to the sand up against the island. Wahoo will get on and give you the hot tips.

As CT said theres no lagoon, just a small cut through the reef. 1.9m hugh is a small tide so you're going to be limited to access only around high tide which is fine if the timing lets you come and go twice in daylight. Your boat will go completely dry but the bottom is generally sandy and wouldnt worry you in a plate boat.

I havent come across the mice but millions of birds that will paint absolutely everything with shiiiit if camping ashore.

We camp on the boat, safe anchorage in most weather. Amazing place and well worth visiting!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks Fellas,

Ok, so fishing stints probably limited to a nearby couple of hours over the high or a full 10 or 12 hour high to high mission by the sounds.

Is there any scope to leave anchored boats outside the reef flat on lee side? Or is that just asking for trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Out-Station View Post
    Thanks Fellas,

Ok, so fishing stints probably limited to a nearby couple of hours over the high or a full 10 or 12 hour high to high mission by the sounds.

Is there any scope to leave anchored boats outside the reef flat on lee side? Or is that just asking for trouble?
    Personal preference I guess, I couldn't sleep at night if my boat were out there alone. If the weather blew up, which it can quickly this time of year theres every chance your boat could end up on the reef. You could anchor well off with a tender to run in perhaps but it wouldn't be my choice personally

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks Wahoo, i'm inclined to agree, just checked the earth images and i see what you mean.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Out-Station View Post
    Hi all, depending on few things coming together myself and familly might be able to tag along with a couple of other like minded families for 4 nights camping at North West in the last week of the coming school holidays. Anyway, thought i would start doing a bit of prep just in case the stars align and i can make it happen. Having never seen the joint i was keen for a bit of first hand intel around boat access and tides etc. Format is 3 famillies in 3 7m+ plate boats. all first timers to North West.

- How much tide is needed to get in/out of the lagoon with 7m trailer boats (i understand its not like musgrave / fitzroy)? Week in question has about a 1.9 - 2.1M morning high before lunch for the few days.

- When parked up in the lagoon is normal to let them dry out or is there enough water keep water under them?

- Read somewhere that there is crap load of mice there, is that right?

- Any other useful tips would be well received.

Keen to here form someone with first hand experience who's done the camping thing there with decent sized trailer boats.

Scott
    G'day Scott,
    I was there in December last year. Scored a week of glass (which is extremely rare) although with 7m + boats at your disposal I wouldn't think weather will be too much of an issue for you.

I have a 6m plate half cab and found that as long as there is enough water to float you (loaded) at anchor then you should be able to make it through the makeshift channel to escape the lagoon. We were able to move around 2 hours either side of the low although we were there during a spring tide so take that in to consideration also.

Your boats will be high and dry in the lagoon on low tide. Most of the sand close to the tide line is free of any nasty big rocks etc. so you'll have no dramas beaching it. I always make sure to shift the esky and turn the outboard to the port side to ensure it leans to the left. Keeps the transducer off the bottom when beached.

No more mice on the island. Just a butt load of Mutton & Noddy birds. You will be camped beneath the Noddys so make sure you pack a tarp large enough to cover anything you don't want covered in shit. I'd also strongly suggest earplugs for sleeping.
    There are also centipedes and a lot of moths. At night it might help to use amber lighting around camp to keep the moths at bay. We didn't have any iteractions with the centipedes until it was time to pack up where we found 4 of them under the floor sheet.

When we went, I put the girls on the barge with all our camping gear & water drum and motored over with a realtively light boat only carrying our spare fuel. Depending on conditions you might want to allow yourself enough range to check out some of the other reefs, shoals and islands out that way.

It's one of the best trips I've ever done and will definitely be doing it again at some stage. You will not regret it!
    Attachment 123438 Attachment 123439 Attachment 123440

Hot tip, when you go over the reef cutting make up your mind and DO NOT deviate from your game plan. You either go in full tilt or creep along- do not drop off the plane or change your throttle when going over the coral. Way back in my younger days i was with the UQ dive boat and needless to say, outboard gear box 0- coral reef 1. Would recommend you build up a bit of time before you nail it through as well... kinda goes without saying..

Thanks for the all the info everyone, got he lay of the land now so that gives me an idea of what we're working with.
    Thanks all.
    Scott