Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Replace Transom

Re: Replace Transom

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Of course boat craft want to flog there products how else will they get sales..
    Christ Gaz, I'm a skeptic but I fail to believe Boat Craft are engaging in a giant conspiracy theory to make sales. Their literature 100% supports the use of the product in the manner I did. They even provide instructional material. Then, believe it or not, when I had some more questions I rang them and they gave me more info over the phone.

Whether Garfield wants to use it or not is up to him. Plenty of products on the market that will do the job. I'm not qualified to comment on others because I've never used them. You could adopt a similar approach!

Also forgot to mention that I liked its lower toxicity, simpler mix ratios, wider mix error margins and lack of amine blush.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post
    He has used the product for EXACTLY what the manufacturer designed it for - encapsulating a plywood core in a fibreglass sheath.
    Had a sheath been correctly applied some time in the 70's we mightn't have had to have this conversation.

CT the boatcoat resin 20 litres weighs 35kg the resin mix has been thickened, why on earth would u thicken epoxy resin? Epoxy resin is used in race boats for its light weight so that goes against itsI porpous..

My epoxy 20 litres weighed like 22kg and epoxy in general is thick why boat coat would thicken even more there resin makes me think its a poorer resin lessstrength so it uses thicker coating futher more they say the resin is more flexiable....

Blog Entries

CT the boatcoat resin 20 litres weighs 35kg the resin mix has been thickened, why on earth would u thicken epoxy resin? Epoxy resin is used in race boats for its light weight so that goes against itsI porpous..

My epoxy 20 litres weighed like 22kg and epoxy in general is thick why boat coat would thicken even more there resin makes me think its a poorer resin lessstrength so it uses thicker coating futher more they say the resin is more flexiable....
    Hi Gazza

Just a quick couple of questions to help guide me in my little project I have going. What are your credentials when it comes to professional boat building/repairs? Have you done an apprenticeship? How long have you worked in the boat building / restoration profession?

Thanks Mate

Funchy, i reasearch, i read advice given, i look around at all methods, i make up my mind and i do my own way based on everything i have seen, been told,heard about and read about

Lots of guys will say to do this do that i am yet to see there workmanship in pictures believe it...

Some guys will show u snippets of how they reached a point but they wont show u step by step because they'll be degreed andpeople wont agree its easy to say "wow that looks amazing your a pro" but what u dont see is the pics along the process, it is quiet easy to show off stunning work and make a name for your self but i never see the during pictures and that hides a lot of don'ts and #### ups which would make people view a pro a rookie..

I have read it over on facebook guys saying "i will never show the process of my work on here" too ashamed but they'll show the finished job!

For me i show absolutely everything i couldnt honestly give a hoot if im classed a pro a backyard hacker i dont hide the process alot of guys dont see

Stroll thru this b9ating section and see how many guys rebuilding show everything every step every #### up you'll find only me because guys want pride yhey dont see the inbetween #### ups woryhy of showing so u see none

For me its about getting the job done #### ups gallore im not looking for a badge or a gold star on a forum

Horseshit

They post what’s relevant and enough info to work out what’s been done

That’s how a thread normally goes

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Horseshit

They post what’s relevant and enough info to work out what’s been done

That’s how a thread normally goes
    Yep total Horseshit..!

Gaz will use any excuse to justify his own mediocrity ..

Gaz please leave the advice to those that have actually completed and tried and tested a rebuild....

Put your money where your mouth is show those pictures right here right now and stand by your reputation

STEVEJ

DISORDERLY

post away.... do not reply with anything else than pictures that show your work

Blog Entries

For me its about getting the job done #### ups gallore im not looking for a badge or a gold star on a forum
    Thanks for the detailed response mate. So if I follow your advice is it safe to say I too might experience "**** ups galore?"

According to most people on here they are unclassified professional shipwrights that know it all and im just a hack,so lets sit back and see all the proof in detailed pictures from all the professors of fibreglassing

Blog Entries

According to most people on here they are unclassified professional shipwrights that know it all and im just a hack,so lets sit back and see all the proof in detailed pictures from all the professors of fibreglassing

yeah!!!

Bring it lads!!!!

You confuse calling out your abhorrent personnel behaviour and over sharing of your life events with criticism of your boat building skills

Maybe you think it’s normal to describe people by race when talking about them while calling out racism against you at the same time

You didn’t check the hull for straightness or hook when you did those stringers either did you

Also didn’t apply a moisture meter to check the timber strings were below 7% before encasing them- a small core drill ain’t exactly a moisture test. Good luck with rotting stringers.

As for my experience- just 20 years as a tradesman, I’m not a shipwright but construction principles cross apply- I have nothing to prove to a hack.

Deary me... the shipwrights are talking...

But i dont see no experience pictures..

Come on guys dig deep surely u have one rebuild up your sleeves from tafe

Not sure where you pulled those figures from but they're incorrect. Specific gravity is 1.11 per the Bote Cote TDS so 20L weighs 22.2kg, which is the same as the epoxy you used.

Even the 30L kit is listed as 34kg shipping weight which includes the 20L and 10L plastic drums.