Thread: Mullet

Mullet

The Mullet season seems to be early this year down this way, there has been a couple of big catches on the beach near me, so, all those that use Mullet for bait up north, keep your eyes and ears open in case they run early up that way too. Currently there is huge schools of big fish in almost every lake and river, so they will run north soon too, please no pro bashing, that's not what this is about, just a heads up for those that buy bait in bulk.

Re: Mullet

I'm assuming you've had a fair dump of rain down there Noel. When this happens as the schools are gathering for their spawning run they are triggered to run to sea early, like dam barra heading to the dam walls in rain events. The fish will not be rowed up yet. They're known as washouts. No row but for eating or bait the're fine and plentiful. They run to sea, head north and duck in to the next estuary.

Reckon i should get the drawstring ready .

Quote Originally Posted by fishtragic View Post
    I'm assuming you've had a fair dump of rain down there Noel. When this happens as the schools are gathering for their spawning run they are triggered to run to sea early, like dam barra heading to the dam walls in rain events. The fish will not be rowed up yet. They're known as washouts. No row but for eating or bait the're fine and plentiful. They run to sea, head north and duck in to the next estuary.
    Yes, we have had heaps of rain this year, been probably the wettest for a very long time, usually the Mullet run here much later, there was a school out the front of my place for about a week two years ago, I reckon it was near on a Klm wide and two Klm long, people were trying to catch them, every now and then someone would foul hook one, a fly fisherman got quite a few, they slowly broke up into smaller schools every day and headed north up the beach, then one morning they were gone.

Any idea if inland brackish water mullet do the run? We have a huge amount of mullet in chipping norton lake of all sizes u often see 40-43cm mullet jumping when u drive though the lake

I guess if there's a way to the ocean they will make their way out, I think there is some "resident" fish that live their life in a lake, but most Sea Mullet (Bully) will go north during our Autumn/Winter when the westerly winds start.