Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Clark boats gone.

Re: Clark boats gone.

OK, have it your way, entry level or not, it's what most people buy, most don't opt for a Bugatti when a Commodore is their budget, mainstream boats are what keep them in business, they had Archer plate boats sold through Savage dealers, but the market wasn't there, so they ditched them, but, no time to debate maybe or perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    OK, have it your way, entry level or not, it's what most people buy, most don't opt for a Bugatti when a Commodore is their budget, mainstream boats are what keep them in business, they had Archer plate boats sold through Savage dealers, but the market wasn't there, so they ditched them, but, no time to debate maybe or perhaps.
    Well no, it wouldn't be what "most" people buy. In terms of volume they'd sell more Top Enders, Frontiers, Fishabouts, Freestylers, Tridents, Hornets etc in total than they do entry level Renegade variants. That is to say, more people own the nicer models than the entry model. But I suppose those who own the entry model will use that experience to judge the rest of the range. Not to say Renegades/Outlaws are bad, there's a reason they have a cult following.

And come on, a $20k Renegade vs a $28k Top Ender isn't exactly Commodore vs Bugatti.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidson View Post
    Stacer/Savage still have flat side sheets, i.e. no flared bow and that's a pretty big deal. Compare say a Stacer Seamaster to a Quintrex Fishabout Pro - no comparison in the side pressings, Quintrex are a much drier hull as a result.

Quintrex have superior bottom pressings in their models as well.

Much more stitch welding in the Stacer/Savages as opposed to full welding in the Quintrexes.

The flagship Telwater hulls like the Frontier range do not have a Stacer/Savage equivalent.

In terms of manufacturing, you will find more apprentices and generally less experienced tradesmen allocated to the second tier products before working on Quintrexes. It sometimes shows in the weld consistency.

There are also smaller details such as fittings that are superior on the Quintrex product.

Take in combination, the Quintrexes are a much more polished product, although not always obvious to the average punter. Stacer/Savage are fine products in their own right.
    So other than the fancy pressing what else makes the Quuintrex the best? Honest question. And while you are at it if you don't work for Telwater how are you privy to there work rosters?

Cheers Matt

PS This is a pretty weird thing to do

I have a PDF of the entire Chinese boat Facebook saga before it was all hidden, it's about 20 pages long but what strikes me is how it started, essentially "Australian builders are rip offs, Quintrex and the like aren't real boats, my Chinese knockoff boat will be built properly and cheaper". It obviously turned into "my boat is falling apart, avoid Chinese builders!".

Typical lawyer huh..

Always trying to cloud the subject to prove a point.

The POINT is you said Quintrex is the best production boat in the world..

As a current owner of a Quintrex and past owner of a Stacer I call bullshit...and as I mentioned it does the job I ask of it....nothing more, nothing less...

I also sold a 60 year old De Haviland a couple of months back...it was better built then both..

So you obviously rate the Quintrex above a brand like Barcusher..?

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    So other than the fancy pressing what else makes the Quuintrex the best? Honest question. And while you are at it if you don't work for Telwater how are you privy to there work rosters?

Cheers Matt

PS This is a pretty weird thing to do
    I did the factory tour before I bought one of mine, we got to speak with the guys on the floor, the production managers etc, real eye opener, very complex operation. Sorry if I have disappointed the tin foil hat wearers around here.

But to your question - being able to stretch form the alloy into the kind of shapes that they do is something that no other alloy manufacturer does, mainly because it is ridiculously expensive to set up, but the ride it produces is unique for a pressed alloy boat. For many years I assumed it was all marketing fluff, then I rode in one and realised it really isn't. Just look at the shape compared to any other alloy boat, in hindsight it wasn't rocket science but I always ignored them and stayed with glass.

Other things? Their trailers to start with. They come standard (emphasise standard) with I-beam aluminium trailers they design and build in-house that fit the hulls correctly (obviously extremely important for an alloy hull). Their catch and release system is the best available (even if they did reverse engineer the basic design from Bar Crusher and improve it). I had the leading aftermarket Boat Catch on another boat, the standard Telwater catch is better, believe it or not. Have had to go back to the aftermarket type on the Signature sadly. They also don't skimp on the alloy, they're pressing 5mm alloy in some of the Frontiers, 6mm bottom sheets on the Yellowfin plate range. The welding is also generally quite good. Sit something like a Frontier next to a semi-mainstream boat like Formosa and compare the welds, the fit and finish, your eyes will pop.

There's also details that many smaller manufacturers skimp on- Quintrex don't cheap out on carpet (all hookless) or fittings (all Perko, Narva etc, not Chinese no-brand you see on so many other makes), the paint is great for alloy and is actually baked on, unlike many others. Just look after it. All the electric start models come with a battery switch (amazing some brands don't do this on alloy boats in particular). Their consoles in anything above a Renegade are rotomolded and dyed, not just a few sheets on ally stitched together. They pre-rig the Mercurys at factory, so they're mounted and propped correctly from the get-go. Same with the transducers, they all come with Lowrance transducers standard (whether you want one or not), but they're positioned correctly so they don't lose bottom etc. Again, a few big things, a lot of smaller details that make them a very robust package compared to the smaller makes who just throw a very basic hull design together, cheap fittings, average welding, any trailer, off you go. Sometimes high volume production does produce some good outcomes, ask Toyota.

And to your last point, no it's not weird, it was actually epic. Everyone at the time knew the page was going to disappear after the catastrophe it turned into which is a real shame as it served as a very strong warning to those thinking of buying a Chinese copy. A few people saved it to PDF so others could read the tale, which I have a copy of. Wish it was still up, it might stop more people from getting scammed by the Chinese builders.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Typical lawyer huh..

Always trying to cloud the subject to prove a point.

The POINT is you said Quintrex is the best production boat in the world..

As a current owner of a Quintrex and past owner of a Stacer I call bullshit...and as I mentioned it does the job I ask of it....nothing more, nothing less...

I also sold a 60 year old De Haviland a couple of months back...it was better built then both..

So you obviously rate the Quintrex above a brand like Barcusher..?
    Hi Scott, instead of you making things up, how about we recount what I actually said.

"As a mass produced alloy product, Australia and Quintrex in particular produces some of the best in the world. They are top notch products and we should be proud of that."

Somehow from that, you got "Quintrex is the best production boat in the world". Only you will know how you got there, but I'll await your apology. And I only said it in response to someone disputing that they are good product, which they are.

And your 2 grand 3 metre Quintrex tinny is irrelevant in the scope of this conversation. You spent your fifty grand or however much it turned into on a Chinese Noble copy. That would have bought a good Australian boat with an Australian warranty.

An no, I rate Bar Crusher over Quintrex for build quality. Bar Crusher welds are gorgeous. Everything about them is well thought out, even if the company don't have a great track record. They're just not truly mass produced, still very much a niche product being plate only, but if they started making more models and maybe threw some more beam at them, while keeping up the quality, that would be pretty awesome.

Well, welcome to the Telwater superfan page...
    I personally preferred the Chinese Noble Super Vee copy fanpage.

Again, it's disappointing seeing Australian brands go under, too many people willing to buy from every other corner of the world to save a dollar. The products don't stand up, the warranties don't exist. But sadly this is happening all the while builders like Clark disappear.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Out of curiosity, who now owns the Quintrex brand of boats? By that I mean, which country?
    Matilda

And this isn’t a dig at just quintrex but is relevant here

quintrex boats have no jointing compound between dissimilar metals there’s just stainless screwed through anywhere and everywhere
    the hoses for their live wells is shite the cheapest thinest plastic unreinforced junk available
    Chinese made bolt together trailers and onto my third set of tail lights

and that same build quality is across all their models
    so yes quintrex is slightly better then other brands but they still build to a dollar

Holy moly...I'm still mystified as to what an attack on chinese boats has to do with discussing the quality of Quintrex boats...?...

There doesnt seem a lot of sense to this discussion when you are totally disregarding opinions from guys that actually own Quintrex and are sharing their real life experiences...

Anyway, no point in arguing with a Lawyer as you obviously know it all ..

I hope you and your worlds best Quintrex continue to dominate the high seas..

Goodbye..

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Out of curiosity, who now owns the Quintrex brand of boats? By that I mean, which country?
    Currently 80% owned by BRP which is based in Canada and used to make Etec's...

A Quintrex boat, trailer and fittings itself is probably 90 % made in China and welded together by the misfits at Telwater...

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Is the fact that BRP bought a controlling stake in the brand recently meant to mean something? Did they sack all of the Aussies and replace them with Canadians? I don't see the relevance. Was it any less painful when Ford, Toyota and Holden sacked all of their Australian workers, because the head companies were based in Japan and America?

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    And this isn’t a dig at just quintrex but is relevant here

quintrex boats have no jointing compound between dissimilar metals there’s just stainless screwed through anywhere and everywhere
    the hoses for their live wells is shite the cheapest thinest plastic unreinforced junk available
    Chinese made bolt together trailers and onto my third set of tail lights

and that same build quality is across all their models
    so yes quintrex is slightly better then other brands but they still build to a dollar
    Not sure how old your example is but I can confirm that it certainly not the case today. Both of mine were built in the last few years, the only stainless used on one of them was the rod holders (the other was a Renegade and had plastic), but it had rubber shims between the stainless and alloy. Alloy rivets, no stainless screws whatsoever. I wish they would follow Bar Crusher's lead and just make the rod holders out of aluminium. Their Yellowfin product which is supposed to be the Bar Crusher competitor also uses stainless rod holders. Not good enough at that end of the market. Even though they're isolating them, they have no place on an alloy boat.

The trailers are made in Queensland. Same brand of lights used on Bar Crusher's Easy Tow trailers. Never had an issue with either of mine.

I agree price is definitely factored into the build, that's really the essence of mass production. They just enjoy massive economies of scale from making so many, the end product is a more complete than many of their competitors.

A Quintrex boat, trailer and fittings itself is probably 90 % made in China and welded together by the misfits at Telwater...
    The hundreds of people that work at the QLD factory might disagree with you.

Perhaps when you finally fly over to China to find Roger and demand your money back for those mild steel hose clamps, dodgy fuel system and paint falling off, ask him where the Quintrex factory is and you might uncover the vast Telwater conspiracy.

I am assuming the Noble copy hasn't sunk yet like a couple of the others already have.

I did the factory tour before I bought one of mine, we got to speak with the guys on the floor, the production managers etc, real eye opener, very complex operation. Sorry if I have disappointed the tin foil hat wearers around here.

But to your question - being able to stretch form the alloy into the kind of shapes that they do is something that no other alloy manufacturer does, mainly because it is ridiculously expensive to set up, but the ride it produces is unique for a pressed alloy boat. For many years I assumed it was all marketing fluff, then I rode in one and realised it really isn't. Just look at the shape compared to any other alloy boat, in hindsight it wasn't rocket science but I always ignored them and stayed with glass.

Other things? Their trailers to start with. They come standard (emphasise standard) with I-beam aluminium trailers they design and build in-house that fit the hulls correctly (obviously extremely important for an alloy hull). Their catch and release system is the best available (even if they did reverse engineer the basic design from Bar Crusher and improve it). I had the leading aftermarket Boat Catch on another boat, the standard Telwater catch is better, believe it or not. Have had to go back to the aftermarket type on the Signature sadly. They also don't skimp on the alloy, they're pressing 5mm alloy in some of the Frontiers, 6mm bottom sheets on the Yellowfin plate range. The welding is also generally quite good. Sit something like a Frontier next to a semi-mainstream boat like Formosa and compare the welds, the fit and finish, your eyes will pop.

There's also details that many smaller manufacturers skimp on- Quintrex don't cheap out on carpet (all hookless) or fittings (all Perko, Narva etc, not Chinese no-brand you see on so many other makes), the paint is great for alloy and is actually baked on, unlike many others. Just look after it. All the electric start models come with a battery switch (amazing some brands don't do this on alloy boats in particular). Their consoles in anything above a Renegade are rotomolded and dyed, not just a few sheets on ally stitched together. They pre-rig the Mercurys at factory, so they're mounted and propped correctly from the get-go. Same with the transducers, they all come with Lowrance transducers standard (whether you want one or not), but they're positioned correctly so they don't lose bottom etc. Again, a few big things, a lot of smaller details that make them a very robust package compared to the smaller makes who just throw a very basic hull design together, cheap fittings, average welding, any trailer, off you go. Sometimes high volume production does produce some good outcomes, ask Toyota.

And to your last point, no it's not weird, it was actually epic. Everyone at the time knew the page was going to disappear after the catastrophe it turned into which is a real shame as it served as a very strong warning to those thinking of buying a Chinese copy. A few people saved it to PDF so others could read the tale, which I have a copy of. Wish it was still up, it might stop more people from getting scammed by the Chinese builders.
    Ah so you drank the cool-aid direct from the source where it is fresh and strong. Have you toured other boat manufacturers plants for comparison? Did the tour guide introduce you to the workers and give you their written work experience? You seem very keen to dismiss everyone else's opinion but really are only providing your opinion and regurgitating "facts" you were given on a sales tour.

Cheers Matt

You will probably have more luck convincing me that Quintrex is the Bugatti of tin boats than you will of convincing me that saving some other random dude's Facebook pages is not weird

Is the fact that BRP bought a controlling stake in the brand recently meant to mean something? Did they sack all of the Aussies and replace them with Canadians? I don't see the relevance. Was it any less painful when Ford, Toyota and Holden sacked all of their Australian workers, because the head companies were based in Japan and America?

Not sure how old your example is but I can confirm that it certainly not the case today. Both of mine were built in the last few years, the only stainless used on one of them was the rod holders (the other was a Renegade and had plastic), but it had rubber shims between the stainless and alloy. Alloy rivets, no stainless screws whatsoever. I wish they would follow Bar Crusher's lead and just make the rod holders out of aluminium. Their Yellowfin product which is supposed to be the Bar Crusher competitor also uses stainless rod holders. Not good enough at that end of the market. Even though they're isolating them, they have no place on an alloy boat.

The trailers are made in Queensland. Same brand of lights used on Bar Crusher's Easy Tow trailers. Never had an issue with either of mine.

I agree price is definitely factored into the build, that's really the essence of mass production. They just enjoy massive economies of scale from making so many, the end product is a more complete than many of their competitors.
    the current renegade just turned 3 years old and the previous one i had for 3 years before that both 420s first tiller second side console
    all the timber floors front and rear decks and under deck floors are held down with stainless screws and no jointing compound all hatch hinges are held down with the same
    the live well plumbing is thin walled plastic with no reinforcing in it the cheap corrugated rubbish you could push a fish hook through ( i plan to replace this when i can be motivated to remove the console and lift the floors to install the underfloor fuel tank i purchased)
    the alloy trailers were fitted with rubbish no name tyres and non branded taillights of which 2 sets failed on the current trailer and one set on the first