Thread: sinking boat 2 men overboard (FB link from yesterday in Sydney)

sinking boat 2 men overboard (FB link from yesterday in Sydney)

Ahoy matey captain goesdown with the ship, apparently afailed transom at the boat ramp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4449...4907301364374/

Re: sinking boat 2 men overboard (FB link from yesterday in Sydney)

Yikes. Transom failure.

Neat little half cabin otherwise. Oh-so-easy to make it look nice and ignore the stuff that really matters.

eEKoBQm.png

Shit. This ismy nightmare being a diy repairer im going to have many more slerpless nights over the next two months

gazza you dont have enough hp on the bum to cave in that transom you built, it will be fine
    i only used 2 12mm sheets and hung a new 70 yamaha on the 445 i did whole transom was only 50mm thick

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Shit. This ismy nightmare being a diy repairer im going to have many more slerpless nights over the next two months
    You can always put in foam flotation. My fiberglass boat is older than the one that sinks in the BCF ad (39 yrs). I put in level floatation during the Covid lockdown/ working from home. I have made some repairs, but didn't do a full rebuild as in your case. I am a lot more confident now. Plus there is always the chance of a collision or swamping.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    You'll be right, looks like you did a good job. That thing that sunk could have all polished up and repainted, with a new floor, and a transom you could poke a screwdriver through. I was asked to inspect a boat when i was over in new Zealand a few years ago. SIL and his mate were really keen on this 18ft runabout, some kiwi brand I wasn't familiar with. It was advertised as being rebuilt, the current owner, who didn't seem to clued on boat, had owned it for a couple of years. Someone had done a lovely cosmetic job on it, new windscreen, fittings, upholstery----it looked a treat, and the floor was soft. Not only was the floor soft, but the transom was so rotten the fibreglas skin was bulging out all around the outboard mounting bolts. Quite the worst one I had ever seen. I had to quietly take them aside and tell them to run. They were rather crestfallen , his mate was still keen, i had to put it very strongly.

man that sank fast , swiftcraft seagull looks like , ahh probably for the best

They’re lucky it happened close to the ramp and not on a bar or similar.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.