Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best small offshore boat size/style.

Best small offshore boat size/style.

I've read alot about this question and the answer is generally not about the boat style or size but about decision making of the captain. ie picking the right weather to go out in and knowing when to come home - that makes sense.

I've been "offshore", for me up to 20nm, in 15-17 footers (plastic and aluminium) in 10-20 knots winds swells to 1-1.5m and never really felt unsafe. Yep just slow going.

The reason for the question is that price and trailer space are limiting my selection of boat and am looking at tiller steer 4 - 4.5m plastic, inflatable rib (very buoyant, stable, flat self draining decks) or less keen on a tinnie (less stable, not as family friendly when insheltered waters, expensive and heavy for a sealed floor etc but open to opinions) for 10-15K new but happy to look at second hand (which is tough these days).

Will be used mostly in Moreton bay and near reefs around Sunshine and Gold coast etc. Ideally out to the close islands camping further north (ie Keppels and up to Whitsundays). I've fished from inflatables before. Not as ideal but workable.

Its easy to say I'll only go out in good weather but I'm trying to be ready for time when the weather unexpectedly turns nasty or overnight goes bad if I'm up north.

Maybe a better question would be..... what is the minimum size boat that you would not be pissed off saving if the weather goes bad ie you were an idiot going out in that boat or that its just bad luck mate.

Pete.

Re: Best small offshore boat size/style.

I live in Gladstone. And with the close access to the bunker group reef.
    We often take the 16-17ft fibreglass boats 120km offshore to reach the good grounds.

They present a solid little fishing boat for 3 POB. Paired with a 4 stroke 100-130hp motor they can be found for 15k range.

The travel speed is all relative to conditions. But a safe comfortable speed depends on the hull shape. 35-40kph at 2.0km / L economy is a good starting point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

I had a 15 foot fibreglass boat deep v if u consider it drove awesome offshore in 1.5-2m of swell

I recon if your trying to maximize sea worthiness in small tiller steer boat then the pontoon style hulls (in alloy) would be a good answer, the various small tiller steer stabi's, profile's etc. IMO all these offer great seaworthiness for size and way more user friendly than a rigid hull inflateable style boat (in terms of fishing etc)
    Scott

Ausfish Platinum Member

16-17ft 120km offshore? You obviously have no chance of a strong offshore coming up, up your way. The weather must be very predictable indeed.

Hey Ran, 120kms would probably reach the lower great barrier reef for rip it up so ifhe snuck up the back of the reef its possible only a southerly would whip up a interesting day asim sure the reef blocks a majority of the weather but it is abig stretch between gladstone and the purcy or the gbr

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Hey Ran, 120kms would probably reach the lower great barrier reef for rip it up so ifhe snuck up the back of the reef its possible only a southerly would whip up a interesting day asim sure the reef blocks a majority of the weather but it is abig stretch between gladstone and the purcy or the gbr
    up around the GBR there are strong currents and "tidal" driven waves at times. From places like 1770, the first 15 kms is generally washing machine crap due to strong currents running through bustard bay all the way to bustard heads , the next 40-50kms is alot calmer, the reef does take out some of the ground swell but this doesnt exactly mean calm seas unless you are in very close proximity. Its impossible to generalise but i'm sure many who do fish up around the reef can attest it can go from a brilliant day to eating crap in a very short period. Combine that with a minimum 50 odd km run back from the reef to port (be it gladdy or 1770) and you can think about new proverbial cursing for your next verbal altercation. Have had many unpleasant trips back in all manners of conditions - southerlies, south easters, easters and northerlies.

In short: you cant beat a cat for dealing with CQ chop.. (flame on)

Hey Baiti alwsys thought the reef blocked a majority of the oceans swell and chop interesting to hear about the tidal waters we get asimilar thing d own here but its just ocean currents

A reef doesn't block chop unless you are very close on the lee side, chop is simply caused by wind, the reef will not stop wind, just like lakes and rivers get "choppy" so does inside the reef.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have done 1770 to the Bunker group in my 17ft 520 Haines Hunter prowler centre console a few times before selling. I do it now in a 19ft centre console and recall John Boon, the author of various fishing magazines, did it on an Ausfish meet and greet at Agnes/1770 in a 15ft tinnie if I recall. I think knowing your limitations and skipper experience with your boat etc has a major influence on the size you choose.

Living on the northern end of Moreton Bay crossing a large area of shallow water with wind against tide to get you out past the cape, I’ve encountered uglier conditions at times.
    For me if the conditions remain the same, the deeper and further you go doesn’t really change. Just preparation if shit hits the fan.....As it will at some point.
    Matilda

I think it’s your back and the pounding it’s prepared to take along with the complaining from the deckies and available funds that generally dictates what boat ur happy to go out in... I’ll never ever go back to a mono but that’s a topic for another post.

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    I think it’s your back and the pounding it’s prepared to take along with the complaining from the deckies and available funds that generally dictates what boat ur happy to go out in... I’ll never ever go back to a mono but that’s a topic for another post.
    After owning a Bak Crusher the cat must be like heaven...

and thankfully its not Markham Rollinater that turns turtle at the first sight of a decent swell beside the boat..

So we have had gazza giving offshore reef advice now we just need someone to reccomend a 4.2 renegade as an offshore weapon...

I found this link thats quite interesting as a lot of people seem to exaggerate swell size I have found....

Up north we can also get very short period wind waves which can make travelling any distance very painful as baitable mentioned....unless you have a cat..

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/maritime/...ves-swell.html

Always best for the new boater in Qld reef waters to go out with some others as a deckie to get the hang of it first because 50km or more can be a hell trip if a southerly change hits earlier then expected...I have trips back of up to a solid 4 hrs in a 17 ft boat which is bloody hard going...

What can is say for that advice ??..
    I also live in Gladstone and have been fishing the offshore Reefs and estuaries for near forty odd years now me thinks ?? , and yes you can travel as far as your fuel will all0ow you depending on the weather conditions and a lot have , Succesfully too.
    For me all is good as long as the weather allows one to but come a turn of the weather especially in an what i would call an undersized Boat and you will be trying to recite the Hail Mary's you wish you had picked up on at School or other..
    Been there n done that and my advice would be Buy the Boat or size of Boat to allow for the distance and weather if it turns stale !!..
    The other end of the stick is , enough trips out wide in a smalller Boat and you will eventually pay the Piper where your back /Spine is concerned , may not mean much now but get to my age and wishing you could turn the clock back .
    Yes regret having sold by reef Rig as do miss my offshore outings but i dont miss the back aches lol..
    And yes would like a bigger Boat again but what i have now serves the Purpose 4.9mtr but would not even think of going offshore with it though i know it would be capable ..
    Either fish within your limits or wait till you can get Bigger ..
    Sorry for not being in agreement regarding offshore with smaller Rigs but seen too much ..

https://www.flemingyachts.com.au/Model/Fleming-58

Think this is what i would head out in next ..

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not sure if the OP is still with us but the abundance of modern day safety equipment is a huge bonus.
    I now carry a PLB in a automatic PDF that I always wear (nowadays) as well as the Epirb mounted to a life cell floating thingy in case the worst happens.

Also, know how to use your radio. It will not only help you in a time of need but help you be at ease if you’re along way from shore knowing others of like minded adventurers are around.
    Have fun and try not to overthink it.
    Matilda