Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 57

Thread: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

  1. #31

    Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

    Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Lets see how many onboard remember the tin Comonwealth green Moneyboxes lol , that may show ones age .
    Still have a few sixpences n halfepennies as well as pennies laying about somewhere ??.
    I got one when we banked 20cents at school sometimes 10cent times were tuff back then.

  2. #32

    Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

    How many got the free small bottles of milk at School ?? , one at morning play n one at lunch lol.

  3. #33

    Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

    Now wheres Noel ?? , he will surely remember those days ??.

  4. #34

    Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

    Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Lets see how many onboard remember the tin Comonwealth green Moneyboxes lol , that may show ones age .
    Still have a few sixpences n halfepennies as well as pennies laying about somewhere ??.
    Yep had one and I remember my Mum making plum pudding wrapped in a tea towel hung out the back with thripenses and sixpence in them .
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......


  5. #35

    Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

    Well theres coincidences ey ?? , Our Moms made ( Vassillopita ) New Years Eve Cake , and there would be a coin or two within the cake somewhere n whoever struck it rich with their portion was supposed to save it for luck n not spend it .
    Maybe thats why ive had no luck lol.
    Though still to date we still practice the New Years Cake with a coin or two hidden within mainly for the Granckids though.

  6. #36

    Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

    My grandmothers xmass pudding was my first thripence and sixpence but dad and grandad always got the mother load of coins, never trusted grandma again.

  7. #37

    Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

    Back to old time fishing did anyone use to slash bait in the shallows with a 6foot piece of wire we use to chase bait out the front of sandgate useing this method.

  8. #38
    Ausfish Addict disorderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In the Jungle

    Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

    Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Back to old time fishing did anyone use to slash bait in the shallows with a 6foot piece of wire we use to chase bait out the front of sandgate useing this method.
    How does that work Chris...?

    When I was a kid jagging mullet, when they were running, was a thing near the old bridge in Bulahdelah...

    One of my best memories was catching my first legal fish all by myself, which was a flounder off a sandbar at Hat Head when I was about 6....I also still have the rod 46 years later...


    and geez you old fellas are showing your age..!.....Free milk and thripences.....I wasnt even born then....

  9. #39

    Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

    My uncle use to take me out snapper fishing with long lines out of whangerei in nz
    we would put the 50 odd hooks out then I would throw my guts up for the next hour to hour and a half waiting till we pulled em in lol

  10. #40
    Ausfish Platinum Member Funchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Caloundra
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

    Catching Barra, queenes, salmon etc off the oyster rocks on Crocker island
    riding my pushie out to the big Jetty in Derby with my crab pots
    Digging for freshwater mussels in the Fitzroy river between Broome and Derby
    Cheers

    Funchy
    Click "like this post" if ya reckon my dog is cute!!!!

    Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

  11. #41

    Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

    Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Now wheres Noel ?? , he will surely remember those days ??.
    Not only do I remember milk at school, I was the "milk monitor" which meant a bit of time off to take the milk to other classes, nothing quite like a small bottle of full cream milk that had sat in the sun for an hour or so! I had mine fresh, still icy cold from the milk truck.

  12. #42

    Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

    Wandering way off track, in primary school, year 6 (6th class as it was then) was always taught by the headmaster of the school, he was an old guy (probably 40) and wore baggy trousers and braces, smoked non stop in his office, if you played up, you would be sent to his office to wait for your punishment, you opened the door and stepped inside the smoke filled stinking office and sat on the chair, waiting....he would come in, close the door, light up another cigarette, take a puff then stand there staring at you, thumbs hooked in his braces, after the "look" he would say "how many do you think it's worth" we all knew he meant how many "cuts" of the cane he kept. He would wait for the answer, and if you said anything at all, he would add a few, just to be sure, you held out your hand, waiting for the cane to flog your fingers, if your hand was tilted down a bit, he would bring it up, hitting you on the knuckles, then down it came, holy hell that stung, if it just caught the end of your fingers because you moved he would say "tips are over" and gave you another one, most kids didn't fool around a second time, but still, it was a great school, my grand kids are fourth generation to go there, fun days.

  13. #43

    Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Wandering way off track, in primary school, year 6 (6th class as it was then) was always taught by the headmaster of the school, he was an old guy (probably 40) and wore baggy trousers and braces, smoked non stop in his office, if you played up, you would be sent to his office to wait for your punishment, you opened the door and stepped inside the smoke filled stinking office and sat on the chair, waiting....he would come in, close the door, light up another cigarette, take a puff then stand there staring at you, thumbs hooked in his braces, after the "look" he would say "how many do you think it's worth" we all knew he meant how many "cuts" of the cane he kept. He would wait for the answer, and if you said anything at all, he would add a few, just to be sure, you held out your hand, waiting for the cane to flog your fingers, if your hand was tilted down a bit, he would bring it up, hitting you on the knuckles, then down it came, holy hell that stung, if it just caught the end of your fingers because you moved he would say "tips are over" and gave you another one, most kids didn't fool around a second time, but still, it was a great school, my grand kids are fourth generation to go there, fun days.
    Now those six of the best are memories ide rather ferget lol , too many of them n can steel feel the numbness in the finger tips today lol.

  14. #44

    Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

    Reckon i would of been around 10yrs old. My old man took me down to a freshwater lake in Victoria ( did not happen often with my old man), just outside a tiny town called Lismore, fishing for trout of a jetty. There was a couple of young kids with their dad also fishing. One of the young kids told his dad his rod, which was leaning up against the railing was getting bites. I was very sceptical as had been watching it and i didnt see a bite at all. A few minutes later the rod goes off and launches off the jetty into the water. I could not believe it. The dad started throwing out his rod in an effort to jag the one that went over but gave up after about half an hour or so. They called it quits, started to wind in the other rod that was leaning up against the railing that had been unattended the whole time to feel some wait. They couldn't believe it when they discovered that it had jagged the rod that went over, then we were all speechless to find there was a beautiful trout still on the end!

  15. #45

    Re: Stand Out Memories of Your Childhood or Teen Fishing

    Fishing the Hawksbury river in our 4.5m boat catching bream, flathead and soapies

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us