Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: another battery charging question

Re: another battery charging question

all good discussion
    my understanding is the cheap ones are over rated on the stickers

ill look up the facebook group

Ausfish Platinum Member

Saw a load test on the Sunyee, done in Australia. BMS cut out at 68 a/hr, 100% discharged. . So nowhere near the 100a/hr claimed. This is quite common with the cheaper ones available here. There is certainly a gap between the top and the bottom. I'm buying a 150a/hr made in Perth by Amptron, well made by all acccounts, the 100 amp constant discharge rate model is $1419 ex Perth. They also do a 175 amp discharge model, for the inverter set, same cells, but obviously a different BMS and probably heavier internal cabling, about $75 more, IIRC. They are quite heavy at 19kg, with an internal steel case.

I recently replaced a 105 amp hr AGM with a 50 amp, or 640 watt hour lithium from Big Wei Batteries in Brisbane (BWB). The lithium weighs 7kg in a stainless box and cost $350 in the Black Friday sale.The 50 amp lithium is at least as capable as the agm. I have not done a complete load test on it, but have drawn 40-45 amp hr from it on a few occasions, and it’s still supplying 13v at that point. I’m confident that it is good for the stated capacity. The 12v minn Kota certainly seems to run better. A full day of fishing in CQ currents is resulting in 25-40 amp hr of draw down from the battery, so the 50 amp lithium is adequate.
    my plan is to have two of them so that I can interchange on longer trips, with one on the genset or solar panel back at camp. My 25 amp victron ble smart charger gets it back to full in three hours

Ausfish Platinum Member

Thats a good result. it certainly makes it much easier and cheaper when you can run a spotlocker on 12v, unfortunately my boat would need the 36v models. Do you know f they are using prismatic , or circular, cells? looking at some cut -up, there seems to be a trend towards the ones that don't deliver being constructed with circulars, as it is easier to skimp with the cell arrangement, not having sufficient to deliver the claimed capacity. Just curious, I find it all very interesting now i have gotten my head around them.

Not totally sure what the cells are but there is a video on the website Or Facebook page of them constructing the batteries, fitting bus bars etc and they look like sinopoly 3.2v cells I’ve seen elsewhere. Not saying they are, but they look like them. Not prismatic.
    interesting aside, my 12v minn Kota has a parasitic load of 0.5 amp hr, means it’s important to disconnect from the battery at the end of the day. Probably explains why some people never get much life from lead acids as their wiring is not set up to allow easy disconnect so they often don’t.

All should have a circuit breaker
    just click the button at the end of the day

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, those click-off manual circuit breakers make great isolators also. I've incorporated one into my complete re-do of my camper set up, 100amp Blue Seas as main battery protection as well as isolation.