Thread: Caloundra deep 06/02/2021

Caloundra deep 06/02/2021

Quick report guys, left caloundra and hit the bar at 5.00 this morning with a bit of a swell rolling in. No issues with the crossing and headed straight for the 140m area with a wreck. First drift saw 2 massive yellowtail kings so out to the to the 200m+ area. Hunted around and found a great show of fish that produced nil. Next we headed a little deeper and found a few cod.
    With a couple of decent fish in the box, we headed north a bit and found a few more.
    Ended up with 9 cod and then jigged some bait on the way home for next trip. Back over the bar at 3.30pm.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1612603037.794007.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	123230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1612603057.298997.jpg 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	123231Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3412.JPG 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	123232

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Re: Caloundra deep 06/02/2021

Woohoo, a fishing report on Ausfish!!
    That's a good day. Sitting at work all week looking at the home weather didn't think anybody would be getting out.
    Thanks for a post I can read without grimacing.

I love the fishing reports and I’m super interested to hear more about the deep fishing. Something I want to get into once I get back into an offshore rig.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Nice report and nice fish mate...

What bait do you use to catch them and whats the biggest you have caught..?

Gday Disorderly, they were caught on squid or pillies. I normally like to have mullet fillets also but didn’t have any.
    The biggest I have got is about 25kg. That was a couple of years ago. The biggest here would be about 15kg. I think the smaller ones eat better and are way easier to clean than the big ones. They do grow way bigger than this but.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Welldone AW
    How was the current?
    Lead size?
    Drift speed?
    Thanks for posting the report
    Great freezer filler and good eating
    I read people prefer smaller but I like bigger

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Ausfish mobile app
    Cheers

Trev

Hi Trevelly, the current was very steady. 1.5kg lead and a slow drift. I think BOM put the current speed at 1.5 knots. There was very little wind. I only drift fish with a para anchor and the majority of times, I am fishing straight down with this same lead even if the current is up a bit. I have 2 sizes of anchor, a quite large one if the wind is up.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums