Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The site Ignore function

The site Ignore function

The owner of this site has the advice "Dont feed the trolls" and there are a few of them on here.

If left unchecked they'll eventually cause the demise of the site.

People pay a minimum of $10 to post (up to $40).

Advertisers (hoping that the conversations will attract viewers to their message) pay anything up to $1000 to advertise.

So there's considerable money changes hands in the running of the site.

If people cease contributing to conversations then there's nothing to attract users to be exposed to the advertisers messages. Advertising will drop off as people leave. Some have already.

In addition, member contributions will dry up.

If you believe that there's harrassment taking place to the detriment of the site (or yourself) catalogue it with content, time, date and copies.

Harassment is not a one-off activity. It has to be repeated to be classed as such and there's plenty of repeated examples on here.

The site manager is a volunteer, has little time to afford in looking at problems and is also committed to making a living.

So present him with a complaint PLUS the evidence to back it up so that he doesn't have to search for it.

Meanwhile, just put the trolls on your ignore list. Its easy to do and you don't even know that they're there.

They'll soon put up enough evidence to hang themselves.

Don't be afraid to use the ignore function. Everybody gains from its use. That's what it was designed for.

Even if one of these guys wants to genuinely contribute to a conversation, then its too bad. That's the price they pay. They'll be stuck within their own mutual admiration society.

What these guys are trying to do is to disrupt and disturb member conversations with the intention of discouraging conversations that members have paid money to do and that advertisers have also paid money to display their services or products.

Its as simple as that.

Next move is the owners.

Re: The site Ignore function

The ignore button- taking the discussion out of discussion board one differing opinion at a time

Matt

Totally agree Ronj, since my ban my ignore option has been takin away as has my picture uploading function

Ronj where is the ignore button and please explain how it works. Does it block private messages? Or stop someone from posting in a thread altogether?

Hello Paul

The ignore function allows you to see that somebody on your list has posted a message but doesn't display the contents. That poster's message is simply not displayed. And the person stays ignored until/unless YOU decide if you want to read anything from him.

It does not stop someone from posting. Only admin can do that.

There's one of these guys a couple of posts above right now (Shortenlong). I've previously chosen not to read ANYTHING that he puts up. He might be putting in a genuine contribution for all I know but his previous repeated actions suggest not.

Usually these things are simply a continuation of the attacks and conveying the message that these guys (who have the intention to distrupt) have rights allowing them to continue. That Its their right to carry on the way that they do. They are victims

according to them.

But their public claims of being a victim with rights (that you see) is completely different to what's sent privately.

And how can they stop all that from happening? Use the ignore function. However, they don't because they want to see the posts and attack them and the poster.

I'll screenshoot what I'm seeing and put up how to use the function effectively

Screenshot (228).jpg

Been on and off forums for a very long time, had a few "debates" but have never had the need to ignore anyone, if I don't agree with what someone says, and if I think it's important or maybe a potential safety issue I just say so, or simply don't bother reading or replying, but, that's just me.

Well said, Noel.

There should be no need to use the function in the normal running of debates, discussions or conversations.

Basically a forum is a meeting place for discussion. Just like a public meeting in a hall.

What we have here is public meeting place alright except there's a group of interjectors trying to howl down discussion subjects and/or individuals that they don't like.

Paul
    When you login look up at the top RHS of the page where it says "Welcome".

Just to the right of Welcome is a red "member control panel" option.

Click that and it'll take you to the control panel column on the LHS of the page.

The 3rd black heading down says My Settings.

Scroll down into My Account then "Edit Ignore List".

Rest is easy.

Yes and no, if it's just a difference of opinion, then "bring it on" but, if continual personal insults or the like persist, then simply report the offender, and let mods deal with it, anything else just move on, getting the shits about trivial things like my motor is better than yours is not worth the heart ache (in my opinion) it makes for interesting banter, but, it's not going to change the world, and no one is going to get hurt, just skip over it, join in or not, that's your choice. If a person asks for advice, then offer it if you have some knowledge, the person may accept the advice or argue about it, if the person argues about good advice, then just move on, you can let them know your no longer interested, or just simply not reply, I do both, mostly just keep out of it, now and then maybe a suggestion to agree to disagree, but more often, just opt out. Internet forums are filled with people who don't know each other and "keyboard warriors" you soon learn who's who, some people are not worth the effort, most are great and someone you would be more than happy to have a beer with, I have met some great people in forums (including here) and met them in person, some are a complete surprise, nothing like you expected, others just like you expected, but in the end, we all share a common "bond" or we wouldn't be here in the first place.

I'll put my $0.02 in as I have been through this on another forum just this week.
    Sadly for the first time in 20 years of membership of various forums, i had to use the ignore feature on a persistent troll - a real one, not like on here.

What I can tell you is that this site's ignore functionality is quite primitive (unless I have missed some setting somewhere).
    If you were to ignore someone, yes you don't see their posts but you do see when another member quotes them in their reply.
    This other site has a setting to block that as well.
    Additionally on the other site, the ignored person is blocked from seeing your posts.
    This works quite well but if this is the limit of the functionality here, it's not really effective.

I've seen nothing here that would make me use it.

BTW Gazza - if you are banned, how are you still posting ? Another feature of this site ?

Cheers all.

Again, agree whole heartedly, Noel. Nothing unreasonable about any of that.

But the stuff I'm talking about IS unreasonable and its happening.

Here's an example of some of it just the other day:

What are you stalking me you ####wit, Ron or Douglas or whoever the #### you are, why won't you put your real name up, no ####in gut's.

and some more

What's it like to be unliked as you are, you are just a hero who likes to put up long winded posts to make youself look smart, then someone ask's you a few question's & you take all your post's down.

And some more

I just like the way Wahoo f/c said it, you got butthurt by someone asking some questions relating to your posts just like Gazza.
    (even Gazza got a mention and he's not involved in this).

Yet suddenly this same guy is publicly claiming to be a victim.

That's the environment into which this forum has degenerated. For years I was paid to tolerate insults so they're like water on a duck's back to me.

But few members want to take part in conversations that interest them when they are exposed to the pile-ons and deliberate disruption that these guys all take part in. The members and the site suffers.

I think Gaz only had a bit of time in the sin bin, not a total ban? I have only ever been banned from one site, (not this one) and that was for something I knew nothing about, another member contacted admin and sorted it out, the site owner contacted me and said I could come back, I kind of thought about it a bit trying to decide if I wanted to belong to a site that just banned someone without a PM saying so, or asking for an explanation, but in the end I went back, and still belong today. I have had a few warnings from a certain site for differing views though!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronje1 View Post
    Again, agree whole heartedly, Noel. Nothing unreasonable about any of that.

But the stuff I'm talking about IS unreasonable and its happening.

Here's an example of some of it just the other day:

What are you stalking me you ####wit, Ron or Douglas or whoever the #### you are, why won't you put your real name up, no ####in gut's.

and some more

What's it like to be unliked as you are, you are just a hero who likes to put up long winded posts to make youself look smart, then someone ask's you a few question's & you take all your post's down.

And some more

I just like the way Wahoo f/c said it, you got butthurt by someone asking some questions relating to your posts just like Gazza.
    (even Gazza got a mention and he's not involved in this).

Yet suddenly this same guy is publicly claiming to be a victim.

That's the environment into which this forum has degenerated. For years I was paid to tolerate insults so they're like water on a duck's back to me.

But few members want to take part in conversations that interest them when they are exposed to the pile-ons and deliberate disruption that these guys all take part in. The members and the site suffers.
    Yeah, stuff like that is no warranted, there's nothing wrong with disagreeing with someone, in fact it's good, we all can't agree on everything, it's how the world works, debate, argue, put your point across is all good I reckon, even a bit of slightly heated banter is fine, but leave the insults to Facebook.

When was this stuff posted Ronje?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Within the last couple of days as a pm so it wasn't a public post. When he did pop up again publicly, he was suddenly a victim.

Gives an insight into the workings of a troll's mind. This guy is a follower not an organiser. There's another one mentioned (no. not gazza).

Spoke to Phil the other day about maybe slowing some of these guys down a bit so that members might get a clear go at subjects that interest them.

The use of the ignore function came up as a first step.