Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: How to trade in a 2006 E-Tec 50hp DPL? Or private sale?

  1. #16

    Re: How to trade in a 2006 E-Tec 50hp DPL? Or private sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    That’s a fitted price ?

    must be newzealand smaller market at play as that link i send was 8k plus fitting of about 1k

    i wouldn’t be buying a new etec unless it was dirt cheap as they are only honouring parts for a certain period of time which is most likely from the date of the last ones sold warranty periods
    Things are always more expensive here, but this seems EXCESSIVE, eeek.

    Well with Cables, SS Prop, Yammy elec guages, have offered me the F40 for $9900, and $2k for my Etec. So I will lose hole shot going to four stroke, but even more so going to a 40. Plus side, fuel efficient. I could try selling the engine by itself quickly. Or I could fix the bolt holes and put it all back together and sell as is, people tend to buy things faster if there is no work in it for them.

    The other side says to me, $2k for an engine in extremely good mechanical condition, and paying $8k for another engine of less power.

    Whatever I buy, I want to know I can rely on it offshore in my RIB. For that reason I would go Yamaha, even though my preference is Honda.

    Or just keep the Etec and learn how to service it. Uggggh.

  2. #17

    Re: How to trade in a 2006 E-Tec 50hp DPL? Or private sale?

    New 4 strokers have a lot more torque low down and I doubt you would find the difference in hole shot noticable

  3. #18

    Re: How to trade in a 2006 E-Tec 50hp DPL? Or private sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    New 4 strokers have a lot more torque low down and I doubt you would find the difference in hole shot noticable
    Thats good to know. It use to be such a drop, was the main reason I stuck with 3cyl yamahas. Hole shot is far more important to me than WoT etc.

    Tohatsu now have a 70hp 2 stroke, $9900NZD. My RIB would do about 80kph with that engine.

    But Im drawn to the Yamaha 4 stroke. Less power, less speed, but far better fuel economy and in time, majority of people will not want 2 strokes.

  4. #19
    Ausfish Addict disorderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In the Jungle

    Re: How to trade in a 2006 E-Tec 50hp DPL? Or private sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by GlobbyGuts View Post

    Or just keep the Etec and learn how to service it. Uggggh.
    Change the gear oil, impellor and plugs every few years..

    What else is there unless you have an alarm come on and then you can get a cable and software and check the diagnostics on your computer..

    I dont think mine was serviced more then twice in over 10 years and had one alarm go off that meant i had to swap out a oil pump and later an EMM ...

    Yours with 190 hours is barely run in..I cant see any reason why you would have any reliability issues at all..

    I kinda miss my old Etec actually.

  5. #20

    Re: How to trade in a 2006 E-Tec 50hp DPL? Or private sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post

    I dont think mine was serviced more then twice in over 10 years and had one alarm go off that meant i had to swap out a oil pump and later an EMM ...

    Yours with 190 hours is barely run in..I cant see any reason why you would have any reliability issues at all..

    I kinda miss my old Etec actually.
    I think because they used rubbish plastic lower cowlings, which nearly all developed cracks and a lot lot like mine cracked the plastic off at the bolts section, it makes me feel uneasy about the engine. Now they want $1250 to fix each side, yet in Aus they are $770. What gives? I wonder if I could source a couple of cowlings from Aus or US to fix it? Many people have had success with Q Bond glue, as you are not meant to bring the shrouds together by force, the bolts are meant to bring them together as such, just to hold them together.

    But if I get past that, yes it is a fantastic engine like you say. Prior owners had done servicing annually. Which is a total rip off. The whole point of E-Tec was to lower servicing costs.

    There are a couple of things, like petrol filters, but the manual clearly states when these things need replacing. I think you are right. I should get more hours out of it. But I would like to fix the lower cowling's if anybody knows where to source these from in Aus, so I can get them sent to NZ?

    The engine is in amazing mechanical condition, starts first pop on a cold winters day, purrs like a kitten oh soooo quiet and has the torque and familiarity of a 2 stroke.

    If I can fix those cowlings, Id feel a lot better about the engine, and $2k trade in for a $10k engine is probably not the best use of money. Im never out of coastguard range as well.

    Ok, help fix my cowlings please, :-(

  6. #21

    Re: How to trade in a 2006 E-Tec 50hp DPL? Or private sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by GlobbyGuts View Post
    Thats good to know. It use to be such a drop, was the main reason I stuck with 3cyl yamahas. Hole shot is far more important to me than WoT etc.

    Tohatsu now have a 70hp 2 stroke, $9900NZD. My RIB would do about 80kph with that engine.

    But Im drawn to the Yamaha 4 stroke. Less power, less speed, but far better fuel economy and in time, majority of people will not want 2 strokes.
    I think you'll find that there will be a rather large hole shot difference between a 40 hp and 70 hp. Personally I'd go for the 70 hp as it won't be working as hard and the fuel economy might surprise you.
    Nothing wrong with the ETEC other than having just 3% of the world market which was just unsustainable especially when the US is going to introduce more stringent standards on emissions.

  7. #22

    Re: How to trade in a 2006 E-Tec 50hp DPL? Or private sale?

    I find it hard to believe you can buy a new 2 stroke, even in NZ.

  8. #23

    Re: How to trade in a 2006 E-Tec 50hp DPL? Or private sale?

    Going from a 70HP to a 40 HP is going to be a huge difference, forget the 2 stroke V 4 stroke thing, it's near on half the HP and it's never going to be as good, unless the 70 was way too heavy or over powered.

  9. #24

    Re: How to trade in a 2006 E-Tec 50hp DPL? Or private sale?

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Going from a 70HP to a 40 HP is going to be a huge difference, forget the 2 stroke V 4 stroke thing, it's near on half the HP and it's never going to be as good, unless the 70 was way too heavy or over powered.
    It is just one what the max for he hull is. But Yes, you can buy 2 strokes here, even yamaha 3cyls still for sale. But they like $9k, the 70hp tohatsu $10k, 40hp merc or tohatsu ~$4k. Im considering the 40hp for $4k. It is easily enough power for 2 people.

    Or some how I fashion some fasteners from one side to the other on these etec lower cowlings. They $800 in aus, makes no sense why they $1300 in NZ. And the 40hp yammy is $6k in Aus, its $9k in NZ. Are they all just scalping on the fact NZ has so much equity to play with and nowhere to use it so are just buying toys. I dunno, but seems outrageous the price differences. I miss spearing the south GBR. NZ is flappn nice though I must say. Aside from being done in buy outboard prices.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us