Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to trade in a 2006 E-Tec 50hp DPL? Or private sale?

Trade in a 2006 E-Tec 50hp DPL? Or DIY lower cowling fix?

Im wanting to keep my hull but wanting to refresh my engine.

These E-Tecs were as high as $12k at one stage. Given like nearly every Etec its lower cowling bolt holes have snapped off, they will need plastic welding or replacing ($1200 new in NZ, but sure much cheaper in Aus or circa $400 used).

It has done 180 hours and has been serviced every year. Its not brand new looking or the most pretty engine, it is 14 years used after all.

Im not sure if I should take engine off and sell it as is in a private sale, or trade it in?

What kind of money should I expect for a trade in?

Im wanting a 50hp 2 stroke. I really want a 50hp 3cyl Yamaha as I know them inside out. But 2 strokes are rear used now. Tohatsu and Mercury seem to be the only options and only Tohatsu do 50hp. The boat could run on a 30hp but it could also run on a 70hp.

Advice appreciated. And please, no trolling, I know the engine is not new and Im not expecting the world. I just want some informed infomation from people who have done this before and what I should expect.

Re: How to trade in a 2006 E-Tec 50hp DPL? Or private sale?

I doubt you will get any interest at all for a trade in..

Nor do I know how you could even arrive at a value for one except put a price on it and gauge the interest....work backwards from there.

I'm not sure where you got the figure of 12K for a 2006 50 Etec..

I bought a new 90 hp Etec that year for less then that...though you can have it for 12K if you want...

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

For what it’s worth mate, I sold my 2010 130 Etec last year private for $4,000. It had 600+ hours and always maintained. Upgrade was a Yamaha 150 four stroke and the dealer wanted nothing to do with a trade in on a Etec hence the private sale. This was a couple of months prior to Etec announcing they would not produce anymore motors.
    Matilda

They were never worth 12k 5-6 new back then as they were cheaper then a Yamaha four stroke
    Without photos or service history I’d say a few grand only
    heat it cosmetically looks like matters as. Inch as a service history

why do you want to remove a working engine to go to a lesser basic 2 strike ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    They were never worth 12k 5-6 new back then as they were cheaper then a Yamaha four stroke
    Im in NZ for a few years, definitely is $12k RRP new here. Id love to see where a 50hp E-Tec was $5k new RRP. Please...., that is worth upgrading to a new one for sure.

I was expecting a few $k as well.

Have lots of photos, serviced every year, just had $1k service in Jan including diagnostics, both 126 comp on cyls. Done 190hours.

Yamaha are good, but if I was going four stroke Id prob go Honda, just for their long history in 4 strokes and being the most misely on gas. But yamaha Id prob go as being the toughest of all of them.

The yamaha 60hp HIGH THRUST model looks intriguing. The 50hp is only $10k though here. Prob $8k on special. The 50hp etec is on special for $10k. You are either a lover of Etec tech or a hater, there seems to be not many people in between.

But I miss a good old 2 stroke that you do not have to wrap in cotton wool. That is likely what Id repower for. I know yamaha 3cyl models inside out. Not so much mercs. But seems "new" it is only Tohatsu still offering 40/50/60, merc goes to the old 40hp lightning, which a number has serious issues back in the early naughties.

So Ill list it for $2k and see where it ends.

You have a lot of perceived biases already in terms of what you think about outboards you do not have to wrap a new engine in cotton wool
    and in Aus you can’t buy new carbed well I don’t think any two strokes are available maybe a couple of di ones left

Being a australian forum I was talking Australian 2006 pricing when that outboard was new
    a etec 50 was never 12 k here
    https://www.##############.com.au/li...board-for-sale

6 years ago I paid 5800 for a 50 four stroke yamaha and 3 years ago I bought another for 7200

Seems a little unusual to be wanting to swap a engine out for something that’s going to have less power and use more oil and fuel
    if it’s lasted this long I’d be keeping it

You have a lot of perceived biases already in terms of what you think about outboards you do not have to wrap a new engine in cotton wool
    Seems a little unusual to be wanting to swap a engine out for something that’s going to have less power and use more oil and fuel
    if it’s lasted this long I’d be keeping it
    Bravo you win. I care less what you bought engines for that is not what this thread was about.

But I have no obligation to you to explain why I want to repower a hull, which is pretty darn normal to be honest.

Anyway, thanks to those that helped in terms of offloading old engines and repowering. :-)

Ducksnutz, I think you did the right thing, Ill see how I go with $2k. The economy is very strong over the dutch here, house prices are rising vertically, probably due to NZ handling Covid with an iron fist. Running at 80% I think, thats how much tourism effects a country like NZ, but people are now just buying boats and toys as they cant go on holiday or spend their paper equity fast enough.

I can come back any time, but I have a good contract here and get to fish most days that I want to, XOS kings and Snaps, Tuna, Beakies, its all here, mahi mahi though are only in the far north usually. Oh well, cant have evrything.

You asked the question I gave a answer, don’t know how that’s getting you riled up.
    Basic two stroke outboards don’t exist in Aus anymore apart from second hand stuff and some old stock lying around

The motorway from Auckland to Hamilton and Cambridge pushed house prices up just by demand due people now able to travel between where the better paying jobs are and what was cheaper housing

some of it is dearer then Sydney round the fashionable old towns , Cambridge is mental

Quote Originally Posted by GlobbyGuts View Post
    Bravo you win. I care less what you bought engines for that is not what this thread was about.

But I have no obligation to you to explain why I want to repower a hull, which is pretty darn normal to be honest.

Anyway, thanks to those that helped in terms of offloading old engines and repowering. :-)

I dont think anyone is trying to "win" ..not sure why you are so riled up for..?

Perhaps if you revealed at first that you were residing in a DIFFERENT country then there may have been less mixed signals when asking advice regarding motor pricing...?

And well yeah why cant someone ask why you are selling a motor with just 180 hours on it.?..pretty fair question IMO..

and regarding your new engine choice do you realize that BRP has stopped manufacturing Etecs..?.so the only motors available are run out stock that dealers are trying to unload....This likely means the resale will not be good, and the servicing, parts availaibility, oil and warranty may not be so great in the near future either..

So 10K for a "new" 50 Etec is hardly a great special in either aussie or NZ dollars ...

Good luck with your choice though..not sure what you were hoping to achieve by the thread when you are schooling us in outboards...

Edit...Haha..Steve .. i was writing as you posted..

A second hand outboard is worth what someone will pay, just like everything else, decide on a reasonable priced based on what's currently for sale and have a go. I am not too sure about buying a two stroke new, even in NZ, but who knows? Any of the known brands will be OK, don't be swayed by economy or how good a motor is by what you've heard, they are all good, all similar in economy and performance, I like Honda, but my choice would be based on things other than brand, for me, I would decide on the HP I wanted, then check all the brands, look at weight, capacity, dealer network, price, all sorts of things come into play when buying a motor that suits YOUR boat and use.

You asked the question I gave a answer, don’t know how that’s getting you riled up.
    Sorry mate, Im just in a flap load of pain at mo, have 2 discs compressing my spinal canal by a large %, easy to get agitated when in pain. Was also late, tired, in pain, reading into your posts too much, my apologies.

The problem with South is the commute slows to 2kph just before manukau, what should be a 1:45 trip to Hamilton is a 3hour commute at best now as people have been priced out of the city. My cousin was commuting from one of the nicer suburbs surrounding Hamilton (id not live anywhere but Cambridge personally). He now has to leave at 4am to miss the madness to get to South Auck in 1 hour. Auck needs trains. They need to charge tolls for entering the city the same as Sydney. Instead they charge this congestion charge. It will just keep getting worse. The amount of Kiwis who returned to Auck from overseas has put a real strain on what was already a very small rental and for sale property market pool. Cambridge is nice, massive horse racing Mansions there. Pharlap came from the South Island, but Im pretty sure Kiwi who won Melb cup two years in a row came from there. They go all over the world and make up a large percentage of winning race horses around the world. If I were to buy here, I would want semi rural and close enough to access the 2 best fishing zones in NZ which are both coasts of the far north, while still having a nice town, That would be KeriKeri imo. Property on the water is not cheap, but inland you can still get McMansions on 4 hectares for under $2m.

[QUOTE=disorderly;1681824
    do you realize that BRP has stopped manufacturing Etecs..?.so the only motors available are run out stock that dealers are trying to unload....This likely means the resale will not be good, and the servicing, parts availaibility, oil and warranty may not be so great in the near future either..

So 10K for a "new" 50 Etec is hardly a great special in either aussie or NZ dollars ...

[/QUOTE]
    I agree in some of what you have said. :-) Sums up one of the reasons Im wanting to move on, for the future. I could sell the whole rig but ideally would like to keep the Hull, but probably get better value as one. That is your opinion on E-Tecs, you are welcome to one. But Ive had plenty of outboards that have stop being manuactured that still have parts 10 years afterward. Not saying $10k is a good deal, Im just saying that is what dealers are dropping to, around Xmas, not sure if they will continue, some models are not discounted all. Im not disagreeing with most of what you are saying, although I wouldnt right off Etecs soley because they wont be making anymore, parts will be around either new or third party for some time to come imo. All motors get replaced eventually. But like I said, your thoughts are one of the reasons Im wanting to move on. I also fish quite far offshore to access good spearing islands here and the south pacific can get quite hairy fast with wind swell, so I just want a new motor for reliability sake. Not having to worry about it breaking being under warranty etc. Who has the longest warranty, its not merc, would be yamaha and honda?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    A second hand outboard is worth what someone will pay, just like everything else, decide on a reasonable priced based on what's currently for sale and have a go. I am not too sure about buying a two stroke new, even in NZ, but who knows? Any of the known brands will be OK, don't be swayed by economy or how good a motor is by what you've heard, they are all good, all similar in economy and performance, I like Honda, but my choice would be based on things other than brand, for me, I would decide on the HP I wanted, then check all the brands, look at weight, capacity, dealer network, price, all sorts of things come into play when buying a motor that suits YOUR boat and use.
    Well said Noel and thanks for going back to the question and providing some good insight on how you approach it. Ive repowered before, but never asked a group of people how they have done it, so the advice is invaluable for the future as well. And yes Im with you, imo they are all good, including E-tecs. Any modern EFI engine can be a dog if its not well serviced. I do enjoy servicing engines, if there was good money in it and I didnt have a dodgy back Id prob have done something mechanical for a living.

Yes my "choice" would be Honda too, but I like Yamaha as well. But if I look at it from how you are describing I cannot right off any engine really.

As for 2 stroke. Luckily my hull is only small and light, as Merc does up to 40hp, being made in the Tohatsu plant, and Tohatsu is available still in a range of sizes. ideally Id prefer a Yamaha 50hp 3cyl as I had one for 10 years and loved her and knew how to treat it right. I considered looking for a used one with low but not too low hours on it, ie 3 years old etc. Prob cost $3-4k depending on condition. Although in this market over here where people have more "Equity" than sense, everything costs much more than pre covid. Especially in summer. But I will not buy something based on other peoples price scalping. Also part of buying a new engine is enjoying those first 3-5 years under warranty :-).

6 years ago I paid 5800 for a 50 four stroke yamaha and 3 years ago I bought another for 7200
    Ok so been in touch with Yamaha, they want $12k for a new F50 plus some for cabling but prop, gauges etc included. $1k either side for a 40/60hp. The 40hp 2st 3CYL elec trim and tilt is $9k with gauges etc. So makes no sense going 2 stroke, unless mercury which is $4k for the manual trim and tilt model.

That seems excessive? Im sure I saw a Yammy 50 for $10k somewhere.

Just waiting to here back from Honda.

Maybe Im better off keeping the E-Tec as you said, is in good condition mechanically. The stupid lower cowling bolt areas snap on almost all of them and they want $2400 to replace them, Im like, nope. I will either plastic weld them or just put some DIY latches across from each side.

If I buy the $20 service manual, I can do everything except anything via the CPU engine diagnostics, but I wonder if that is just some kind of cable link.....

Then when I come home I can just sell the boat as is. Yamaha offered $2k for it, which if the F50 was like $10k, Id be tempted on.

That’s a fitted price ?

must be newzealand smaller market at play as that link i send was 8k plus fitting of about 1k

i wouldn’t be buying a new etec unless it was dirt cheap as they are only honouring parts for a certain period of time which is most likely from the date of the last ones sold warranty periods