Thread: Seek advice for transducer for saltwater fishing under 100 meters

Seek advice for transducer for saltwater fishing under 100 meters

I am seeking advice for transducer for saltwater fishing under 100 meters. Is there any budget option? My expectation is able to see bait fish ball and big fish around water column or bottom.
    How is Garmin GT54 or GT56 combo with EchoMap 95sv? Any real world experience?

Re: Seek advice for transducer for saltwater fishing under 100 meters

I've got a 95sv chirp with a GT54 in the estuary. Very happy with it. Can mark individual fish. I've used it inshore with a GT50 and I can mark individual fish with downscan in 10 m.

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    I've got a 95sv chirp with a GT54 in the estuary. Very happy with it. Can mark individual fish. I've used it inshore with a GT50 and I can mark individual fish with downscan in 10 m.
    Thanks for your reply. Have you tried GT54 or GT50 around FAD? Or Can GT54 or GT50 spot snapper around 60 meter deep bottom?

Individual fish at 60m might be a stretch for the 54 using sidescan..

I had a 52 and replaced it with a 51 for traditional sonar 60-100m sounding for Reds..

My other UHD unit has a 54 which we use for searching on sidescan for wonky holes in 30 -50m as well as shallow water for Barra and inshore stuff..

By some comparisons the 56 looks more powerful and shows more definition deeper so it might be good for your purpose...

You can do a search on youtube as their is some comparisons on there..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Individual fish at 60m might be a stretch for the 54 using sidescan..

I had a 52 and replaced it with a 51 for traditional sonar 60-100m sounding for Reds..

My other UHD unit has a 54 which we use for searching on sidescan for wonky holes in 30 -50m as well as shallow water for Barra and inshore stuff..

By some comparisons the 56 looks more powerful and shows more definition deeper so it might be good for your purpose...

You can do a search on youtube as their is some comparisons on there..
    Thank you. If I divide the max depth (from the specification) by a factor, that is the valid depth for fish detection. For example, 54 has sidescan max depth of 150 meter. Then I set the factor to 3; it gives max fish finding depth which is about 50 meters. The factor for 51 may be 5 because it uses mid frequency rather than high frequency. The specification says the max depth (chirp) is 548 meters which gives max fish finding depth of 100 meters. Of course, the factor is rough as the fish can be small or large.

Pity that Scottar isn't here anymore.

What determines yr viewable depth is the frequency that you use. Choose the right frequency range then all you need from the sounder head is matching definition. You've apparently got CHIRP so that's a real good start.

The higher frequencies will give better definition and target separation (especially with chirp) but wont penetrate the water as far as lower frequencies.

As long as you use 455 or 800 khz you're in with a show. 1200 might struggle a bit at 100 metres but is ideal in shallower waters.