Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Mercury are making an announcement

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Mercury are making an announcement

I own a 1975 Norton Commando, Mk111 Roadster. Had it for 20 years now, needed a lot of love when I got it. Then a complete rebuild after a couple of years, gudgeon circlip somehow de-materialised and allowed a gudgeon pin to wear a track in one bore. A strip revealed the hardening had gone off the cam, as well, that's all she wrote. As you said, they need to be easy to rebuild, because they will need it more often. Say what you like about modern cars, and planned obsolescence, and difficulty of working on, but I'll back the cheapest Hyundai motor against the best that Holden or Ford built in their earlier years for longevity. Basic servicing will see them go at least 200k's without problem, more likely twice that, a grey Holden was burning oil and worn out before then. Difficulty of working on and more complexity is the price we pay for ever more horsepower, with better fuel consumption, and cleaner emissions.

People can lament all they like about old cars, and how you could fiddle with points and shit on the side of the road, most old family cars were dismal at best, any trip further than the shops meant working on the car for weeks, most over heated on any decent hill, vacuum wipers just died when you touched the accelerator, no heater, a hanky was your demister, no power steering, anything less than the speed limit required Herculean effort on the steering wheel, Kingpins were always worn out and the old cross ply "winter treads" howled like a banshee on the highway. Now all that said, I do like well restored or original 60/70s cars, there's an immaculate EH near me, and an E38 R/T Charger, both in mint original condition, and the only manual Premier HR Holden wagon I have ever seen, it's a kind of bronze colour, with tan seats, and in original condition, gees I wish I kept my old Monaros

The cortina I did up was super reliable
    mainly because I went full electronic ignition motorcycle carbs and basically upgraded everything I could inc modern steel sleeves and anything else I could modernise h4 halogens as a example so could actually see
    That engine alone with ancillaries was 9k and from memory 24k all up with upgraded diff gearbox and brakes

24k buys a lot nicer to drive modern car with safety features and aircon it not as much fun when screaming round a hill climb or a airfield speed run at full revs
    it did syd to Melbourne many times Brisbane and all up 35000 km in four years and was revved hard up to 7300 and was a hoot to drive

Ausfish Platinum Member

I learnt to drive in a Cortina GT, as well as an EK, later owned a Cortina 440, the 1600 model. Prior to that, a Mk1 Cooper S. As well as an FB ute, an XW Falcon wagon, a Kombi camper, HQ ute, WB ute.....most of which are now regarded as classics. And I don't miss any of them. Current wife's car is a Subaru Forester XT, Turbo, best car I have ever owned. Just about to tick over 200,000, and all that has gone wrong is a split intake air hose that caused a whistle under hard acceleration. $25 part. Apart from that, service every 12,500km. I've done just on 35,000 in the first year of ownership of a D-max, nil issues. I'll reserve my nostalgia for motorbikes, as I have friends heavily into vintage and veteran. The restoration process of something built over 100 years ago is something that requires real committment, or very deep pockets. My 1974 Norton is actually quite easy to live with on a daily basis, upgraded the brake master cylinder, so it stops, idles happliy at the lights with the original-spec twin amals, and starts with one or two kicks. I think nothing of jumping on it and doing 400k's in a day. But not so much, anymore.
    Design and manufacturing has certainly come a long way, we have become accustomed to just turning the key and having them start and idle away anywhere from sub-zero to 45 in the waterbag--anyone remember what a choke is, and how to use it?

I sit where you are also Ranmar. For the same reasons I can’t understand the enthusiasm of all these 4.2TD Patrol guys paying more money that what it cost new 15 years ago. Once they fixed the issue with the 3L engine it was better in every way. I guess how Nissan screwed people over with the original engines left a foul taste.

Same thing with the 70 series cruisers. All these blokes spending 80k plus on a new truck. Then spending thousands more putting decent seats, tens of thousands more on getting the rear wheel track the same as the front with portals or other options. Could you name it. It’s these people that allow Toyota to be as arrogant as they can be because Toyota know they can throw a new engine in a 1970’s designed truck and Aussies will fall over themselves to lay 80-100k for them.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Maybe we should start another thread in "the bilge" to talk about our old cars, or cars we wish we had?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I sit where you are also Ranmar. For the same reasons I can’t understand the enthusiasm of all these 4.2TD Patrol guys paying more money that what it cost new 15 years ago. Once they fixed the issue with the 3L engine it was better in every way. I guess how Nissan screwed people over with the original engines left a foul taste.

Same thing with the 70 series cruisers. All these blokes spending 80k plus on a new truck. Then spending thousands more putting decent seats, tens of thousands more on getting the rear wheel track the same as the front with portals or other options. Could you name it. It’s these people that allow Toyota to be as arrogant as they can be because Toyota know they can throw a new engine in a 1970’s designed truck and Aussies will fall over themselves to lay 80-100k for them.
    As a long time Patrol owner, starting in 1989 and only finishing one year ago, had 5 in diesel/petrol, manual /auto, trayback/wagon, and even one chopped into a dual cab, know exactly what you are talking about. Made the break to a modern 4wd, own a D-Max now, couldn't be happier. My last one, a 2000 GU trayback, stretched, 4.2 TD, stayed local, and he has just thrown $15K at it to bring it back up. Go figure.