Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mercury are making an announcement

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Mercury are making an announcement

I think you are missing the point when you start to go into "how much will this cost to rebuild in 20 yrs" type argument. I would trust Mercury's engineering department to come up with a design that is durable within the horsepower limits. I think their engineering skills are somewhat above the armchair engineers debating reliability. And the people who will buy multiple outboards @ over $US80k ea rigged don't really care about maintenance costs. After all, even with single vs twins, one will cost the same as two of the "new" 300hp Yamahas to hang, at least in the US. This will be replacing Seven Marine type products, and getting hung on boats that needed four or five outboards, replacing with 3. Think of the 425 HP Yamaha released a few years ago, big capacity, very heavy at around 450kg each. People were saying they are too heavy for the HP, totally missing the point. They were designed to push big heavy boats, often replacing inboard diesels. Very successful at that. But this motor just eats Yamahas' lunch now, in that market. Most of these will be hung on new hulls, and already at least major player has indicated they are going with these when previously they only supported Yamaha.
    As for the black anchor comments, jeez, man, try to keep up. You are just so far behind reality in this department

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I figure if you need that much HP inboards would be the go....
    Yeah I'm struggling with this concept myself. (Not that its going to be an issue for me).
    What trailerboat in this country could you bolt 600hp on the transom. Legally.?
    Seems more for those Yank poseboats.
    You'd have to be talking 28' at least....why not an inboard diesel?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

No one cares about rebuild costs on 20-30 year old outboards
    and going by our resident engine rebuilders results it reinforces why people don’t do major rebuilds

Can still trailer a boat in the usa with outboards even at 28 foot they don’t have our width and oversized towing limits and freely available monster truck tow rigs.
    a shaft drive on a trailer is significantly a different beast to move
    A diesel inboard doesn’t let you show off the hp stickers on the transom when cruising past the poorer fella next to you

good on merc their current 2.1l engines are selling well too

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    Yeah I'm struggling with this concept myself. (Not that its going to be an issue for me).
    What trailerboat in this country could you bolt 600hp on the transom. Legally.?
    Seems more for those Yank poseboats.
    You'd have to be talking 28' at least....why not an inboard diesel?

I wonder if a 3000 or 3100 Noosacat could hold the weight on the transom if fuel tanks were moved forward?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

You guys are in some sort of bubble on a island.. join the usa groups specific on outboardsthat get overhauled they dont throw engines away at $1 per kilo of aluminium if blocks on a 5 or 30 year old design are not externally damaged they get remanufactured this infact is the only forum i have ever been on where people think blown engines are thrown away

There are lotsof wreckers that buy engine parts andthey are who send off blocks for reconditioning just recondition blocks cost so much in australia if its not covered under there current warranty they dont want a part of it

In the USA they sell thousands on top thousands of remanufactured marine engines

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en-gb/...emanufacturing

And still no one that is willing and able to drop 77k USD on an out board gives the slightest shit as to what the rebuild costs are going to be. Highly likely on a similar level/ratio to the price tag. If you are well off enough that you are able to drop 1, 2, 3 or 4 times 77k on outboards if an engine blows in 4-5000hours time you ain’t going to rebuild it. You’ll drop another 77k on a new one.

edit: seeing as your so fascinated on rebuild costs. A bloke who’s doing a rebuild on a 34ft cat picked up a pair of 557hp 7 marine engines for 25k with 450hours on them. One requires a rebuild and has been quoted 5k. So I’d imagine that if they don’t have any super special injectors or similar that you’d be looking at 7.5-8k USD for a 12 cylinder engine at most. That’s less than 10% of a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    In the USA they sell thousands on top thousands of remanufactured marine engines
    I'd bet you dollars to doughnuts that the vast majority of those remanufactured engines spent most of their life in fresh water. Freshwater boating is huge in the US and with some big outboards - bass boats running up to 300hp; pontoons running 150hp; etc.

We just don't have the same freshwater use here. If you're an Aussie freshwater fisherman, your boat of choice is probably a 4-5m tinny with nothing bigger than a 50hp on the back. Most of our larger outboards (100hp+) are fitted to boats used for saltwater fishing, and dealing with the scale on top of mechanical issues for a full recondition often just doesn't make sense.

Don't get me wrong - I love engineering like this, and yeah if Mercury can fleece money out of millionaire playboys, go nuts.
    Just trying to see a practical application in the world I inhabit.
    Pretty sure in the design brief they had for this toy, rebuildability was at the bottom of the page, tho I'm sure a few welds and a head skim would do the trick, just like the old 179 in Mum's EH.

I’d actually love to talk to one of the engineers of these engines and find out how many hours hey expect out of these engines and how many years of use with proper maintenance they expect/design for out of these engines.

Innovation comes from the top down and are normally a cash losing enterprise to get the concept accepted and tested
    look at all the high end car features from million dollar super cars now available in a 20k hatch back

the r&d budget wouldn’t have been approved without a business case

the realpomo as soon as your Mums car was outdated people couldn’t give them away quick enough to get more modern vehicles
    and the quality of the vehicles is shown in how long things lasted
    my mk cortina you could book a engine exchange in during a service as life expectancy was 40,000 miles which is inconceivable today

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I wonder what happened to the engine design from the Gold Coast inventor that was bought out in the 80's.
    Completely different engine that worked on cam lever actions instead of pistons or rotors.
    From memory it developed over 1000hp and was about the same size as a 4 cylinder engine.

It wasn't Sarrich....
    I was reading about this not too long ago....

https://www.afr.com/companies/whatev...20020523-ka403

Quote Originally Posted by Cobbo1 View Post
    I was reading about this not too long ago....

https://www.afr.com/companies/whatev...20020523-ka403
    The afr paywall kept me out but I did find this here https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...20120517-1yu6k

Remember the Split Cycle? It was a crankshaft-free engine out of Queensland and the ludicrous claims made for it were often reported uncritically.
    Britain's respected Independent newspaper wrote with a straight face:
    '' … a financial adviser to the company says a Split Cycle engine can generate the same power as a V12 Jaguar engine from 10 per cent of the weight and with 700 fewer parts.
    ''This extra power means that a gearbox may not be needed … The engine runs on a mixture of petrol and water, though it could function on water and alternative fuels … exhaust emissions are minimal … the engine has not needed any oil in the tests to date.''
    Give us a break!
    The man behind Split Cycle, a Kiwi named Rick Mayne, managed to raise about $200 million from mum-and-dad investors, not on the stock exchange but in revivalist-style church-hall meetings.
    Although Mayne never did demonstrate the engine actually powering a car, he did demonstrate a new Lamborghini he'd bought himself from the proceeds.

Yeah I was being a bit tongue in cheek stevej....
    I was enamored with classic cars and bikes for 30 odd years but recently sold my old Triumphs. They have charm and are easy rebuilds but as you say, they have to be. My 5 year old Ducati is still based on a 1970's Pantah engine tho.
    Anyway point was these new Mercs are never going to be in pieces on some Ausfishers garage floor the way a carbed Yammie 2 smoke is, anymore than my Audi S3 will. Best car I've had BTW. Way better than an EH.

I'm just waiting for the tiller steer model...

Watch out you crab pot raiders then..

Merc.jpgm

They are an bulky, ugly motor though...I cant help but think the styling will date fairly quickly....man, those americans sure come up with some crazy shit..!

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    Yeah I was being a bit tongue in cheek stevej....
    I was enamored with classic cars and bikes for 30 odd years but recently sold my old Triumphs. They have charm and are easy rebuilds but as you say, they have to be. My 5 year old Ducati is still based on a 1970's Pantah engine tho.
    Anyway point was these new Mercs are never going to be in pieces on some Ausfishers garage floor the way a carbed Yammie 2 smoke is, anymore than my Audi S3 will. Best car I've had BTW. Way better than an EH.

all good wasnt having a crack just a laugh at how nostalgia erases how bad the cars were
    i had 2 1965 mk1 cortinas one stock and one off its chops sierra 5 speed LSD 140hp over the 70 standard
    but sold them late last year as prices were going nuts with everyone pulling their super out and redundancies etc

half the fun was building them and the quick one was immense fun ripping around the place but for a everyday car they were horrible