Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunshine Coast Yesterday

Sunshine Coast Yesterday

Decided to do a quick Spanish trip to the Sunshine Coast to beat those heading up on Australia Day. The weather was border line as forecast , with a 1.6m easterly swell , wind blowing 15 knots and showers, there was no real surprise the car park at Mooloolaba was almost completely empty . The fish weren’t thick but we managed to beat the sharks with a few and got back to the ramp just before lunch with a nice feed.
    regards
    BeastMaster
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F4D584AF-C0BE-4D55-A820-286254C9ED52.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	123145   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ED7CED94-32A0-4EDC-A9C2-2097AB986D18.jpg 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	123146  
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

Re: Sunshine Coast Yesterday

Nice job mate...who doesnt love a good spanish session..!

Whats with that rodholder setup...do you have it out to the side like an outrigger for trolling..?

Yes those fittings just drop in std 90* rod holders . Allows you to get your troll baits deeper , well spread and in nice clear water.
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

I also use them for the same reason but lately due to my shoulder troubles I now reef fish with them. Fish bites, wind in and it saves my shoulders.
    The only change I've recently made to mine is have a diagonal bar welded underneath at the rear to hook a carabini on and secure it to the boat. A couple of trips back went to remove the rod on a hook up and managed to lift it out if the rid holder. It seems they don't float as it went down like a stone. Expensive exercise.

Thats a great idea guys..

I'll have to get a couple..

and yeah Sam I wouldnt imagine they would float real good at all..sorry but I had to have a little chuckle..even the bad experiences can make for a good story later on..or at the very least a cautionary tale..

BTW, is that angle just a bit above horizontal the best, do you think..?

cheers Scott

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Thats a great idea guys..

I'll have to get a couple..

and yeah Sam I wouldnt imagine they would float real good at all..sorry but I had to have a little chuckle..even the bad experiences can make for a good story later on..or at the very least a cautionary tale..

BTW, is that angle just a bit above horizontal the best, do you think..?
    BeastMaster , nice catch, glad you had a great day on the water. Sorry to hijack your thread.

Col, mine are just above horizontal, some pro mackerel fishermen down here have them even pointing downwards. When I had mine made I had another slot cut into where they lock into the rod holders so that I could use them on the rear holders and towards the back, yes the rods need securing but they aren't facing directly backwards.

Hi guys, Beastmaster if I'm hijacking the thread let me know ..

But now that I have seen those rod holders I really want a pair of them..

I see these 2 options ....any thoughts as you guys have actually got some real world experience with them and I
    Do you think there is any real advantage in the ones which are adjustable..?..worth a couple hundred bucks extra..

Adjustable one....https://www.wellsystackle.com.au/_pr...068-1653-.aspx

Fixed one....https://www.wellsystackle.com.au/_pr...068-1476-.aspx

I cut and welded the “T” so its angled to have the rod just pointing down ,with the notches cut pointing the rod slightly forward . Pointed down slightly will keep the baits down a little deeper , pointed slightly forward keeps the rod loaded a little more . You can buy these already made but they aren’t as good , usually welded pointing slightly up and notched at 90 deg not slightly forward . The bought ones are also usually inferior stainless tube not good solid pipe . The tube will crack eventually .
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

I’ll put some photos of them up next time I’m up in the boat
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

Orr yer , And don’t drop them into plastic Or cheapo alloy rod holders . They won’t be strong enough, you’ll probably loose the lot overboard on the first big fish.Sorry can’t comment one those attachment , I’ll bet they are made from 1.5mm cheapo tube , mine are 3mm pipe . A 7 foot rod loaded up with 24 kg line puts a fair bit of leverage on the butt end .
    Photo shows trolling rod holder dropped into a 30deg rod holder.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C834AE26-6A84-4095-840E-484BD1536B71.jpg 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	123151  
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

Quote Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
    Orr yer , And don’t drop them into plastic Or cheapo alloy rod holders . They won’t be strong enough, you’ll probably loose the lot overboard on the first big fish.Sorry can’t comment one those attachment , I’ll bet they are made from 1.5mm cheapo tube , mine are 3mm pipe . A 7 foot rod loaded up with 24 kg line puts a fair bit of leverage on the butt end .
    Photo shows trolling rod holder dropped into a 30deg rod holder.
    Yep, I have replaced all of my rod holders, just couldn't take any pressure, mate got caught up deep dropping and it basically ripped the cheap ones out.
    I had a plate made to fit under the gunnels to take any strain.

Nice catch Beast
    Worth the effort
    Great on the chew as well
    As a kid behind Dunk Island it was what they now call vb chord and wire
    Just as much fun

Sent from my CPH1715 using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzer View Post
    Nice catch Beast
    Worth the effort
    Great on the chew as well
    As a kid behind Dunk Island it was what they now call vb chord and wire
    Just as much fun

Sent from my CPH1715 using Ausfish mobile app
    Pretty sure VB cord was and still is the standard for most yatchies.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Hi guys, Beastmaster if I'm hijacking the thread let me know ..

But now that I have seen those rod holders I really want a pair of them..

I see these 2 options ....any thoughts as you guys have actually got some real world experience with them and I
    Do you think there is any real advantage in the ones which are adjustable..?..worth a couple hundred bucks extra..

Adjustable one....https://www.wellsystackle.com.au/_pr...068-1653-.aspx

Fixed one....https://www.wellsystackle.com.au/_pr...068-1476-.aspx
    Your mailbox is full
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Pretty sure VB cord was and still is the standard for most yatchies.
    One of my first trip out here i was given a handline with that stuff on it and told to let out the lure...it was my first and only time using rope to catch mackeral...

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Your mailbox is full
    Yeah, Dumb and Dumber has been getting good ratings today..been a good laugh...