Classifieds

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How to clean canvas

  1. #1

    How to clean canvas

    Afternoon all,
    I am currently doing some work to my jayo camper and have noticed some slight mould on the canvas in areas. Looking for peoples comments on how to remove and clean as tag on the canvas states not to use any harsh chemicals.
    Any ideas....?
    Thanks in advanced.
    JN

  2. #2

    Re: How to clean canvas

    Quote Originally Posted by JEWIENEWIE View Post
    Afternoon all,
    I am currently doing some work to my jayo camper and have noticed some slight mould on the canvas in areas. Looking for peoples comments on how to remove and clean as tag on the canvas states not to use any harsh chemicals.
    Any ideas....?
    Thanks in advanced.
    JN
    Vinegar is one option that most people seem to use and oil of cloves is another that has success ,here is a link to how to remove it . https://oilofcloves.com.au/blogs/mou...ould-on-canvas
    I used 30 sec mood remover 5 years ago on a windup camper I had and it was ok short term but it came back with a vengeance so I treated it with oil of cloves and had no problem again .Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......


  3. #3

    Re: How to clean canvas

    Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Vinegar is one option that most people seem to use and oil of cloves is another that has success ,here is a link to how to remove it . https://oilofcloves.com.au/blogs/mou...ould-on-canvas
    I used 30 sec mood remover 5 years ago on a windup camper I had and it was ok short term but it came back with a vengeance so I treated it with oil of cloves and had no problem again .Matt
    Vinegar or chlorine based chemicals (eg. 30 sec mould remover) only cleans the surface, Oil of Cloves kills the actual spores but you do need to get to it before the spores end up so deep into the material that it won't be as effective, mind you if your my age the smell will remind you of the dentist as that is what they used as an early anaesthetic. Once in the sun for a while the smell will go.

  4. #4

    Re: How to clean canvas

    Its a bit pricey though $14 for a tiny bottle but you don't need much oil of cloves only about 10mil to a litre.

  5. #5

    Re: How to clean canvas

    Its a bit pricey though $14 for a tiny bottle but you don't need much oil of cloves only about 10mil to a litre.

  6. #6

    Re: How to clean canvas

    Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Vinegar or chlorine based chemicals (eg. 30 sec mould remover) only cleans the surface, Oil of Cloves kills the actual spores but you do need to get to it before the spores end up so deep into the material that it won't be as effective, mind you if your my age the smell will remind you of the dentist as that is what they used as an early anaesthetic. Once in the sun for a while the smell will go.
    i had surgery last year and they packed the wound with a dense clove paste, seems its still effective

  7. #7

    Re: How to clean canvas

    There is a product called Curtain Clean that the guys on the camper trailer forum reckon is the bees knees
    nil carborundum illegitimi

  8. #8

    Re: How to clean canvas

    Treating Canvas for Mould Infestation:

    Use a solution of Oil of Cloves to treat and kill mould on canvas. To prepare Oil of Cloves solution, add teaspoon Oil of Cloves for Mould to 1 Litre of water in a spray bottle and shake well with each use. Shaking the bottle well with each use is important for dispersing the Oil of Cloves in the water and achieving an even treatment.

    Treat for mould infestation on a warm, sunny day when you have plenty of time.
    Clean the canvas with warm, soapy water first and allow to dry.
    Spray the canvas with your Oil of Cloves solution. Allow to dry.
    As a bonus you can also use the Oil of Cloves solution on all fabrics, bedding, and curtains that need treating for mould.


    Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

  9. #9

    Re: How to clean canvas

    These are the treads that make this site awesome. Wish I knew about the clove oil earlier.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  10. #10

    Re: How to clean canvas

    Definitely mate,
    I have carried out the above recommendations from all using the clove oil, canvas came up great. Put the camper on Gumtree and she went within a few days. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Only down side is i spoke to Jayco in regards to getting new camper, to be told there is a long wait for the model i want.....July/August perhaps....Upside is, room in my driveway for a few months.... I don't need to move the Gemini, to get the Torana out the way so i can access the boat.!!
    JN

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us