Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Haines Hunter V19C rebuild

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Haines Hunter V19C rebuild

Hi all.

A bit of a win on the little Haines in the last couple of weeks.
    I managed to sand the 1st highbuild coat on the rear end/duckboard/hull extension, and to get a good 2nd coat on.
    That means the whole boat from the gunnels down can be sanded with 400 and if it comes up fair enough, can be top coated.

IMG_2009.jpg

While I had the spray gun out, I also painted all the black bits of the 250 and my poor long suffering mate Cyril got stuck into the mechanical side of things and replaced every suspect part of the 250, so she's now as good as new:
    IMG_2026.jpg
    Sorry, I forgot that this site will only allow landscape, and not portrait pictures...

New set of decals on the cowl after a quick hit with 2000 wet and dry and a machine polish...
    IMG_1999.jpg

Ready to fit:
    IMG_2032.jpg IMG_2036.jpg IMG_2040.jpg

All I need now is 2 uninterupted weeks to get the boat done.

Not going to happen any time soon.

Geez thats a nice looking arse on her...well done and congrats..

I wish I had the skills, patience and energy to pull something like that off...

I hope you put up a video of her sea trials once you get the finishing touch's done and get the motor and electrics sorted..

Ausfish Silver Member

The Sunrunner has taken so much time and effort, that the Haines has been completely put on the back burner.

I had a good look at it a few days ago and decided I couldn't leave it as it was, so I got stuck into sanding and preparing for paint.

The weather was good for the last couple of days and the prep went well. I managed to get a couple good coats on the hull and topsides.
    The new improved Jotun 2 pac "ultra gloss" is really easy to get good results with my de-vilbiss gun and I'm really happy with the lack of peel and good gloss:

IMG_2269.jpg IMG_2270.jpg IMG_2271.jpg

Next, when I can get to it, will be preparation of the deck and cabin. There's a decpively large amount of work there, but it should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by giddyup58 View Post
    The Sunrunner has taken so much time and effort, that the Haines has been completely put on the back burner.

When do we see the Sunrunner? Or have I missed that?

Lookin good as always. Well done

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Great job.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Excellent work
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

now that looks flash

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

I got pretty keen after seeing such a good result after such (comparitavely) little effort, that I thought I'd get a bit further advanced.

I dropped the boat back onto the deck (carefully), so I can more comfortably get in and out and tend to the nastiness of the deck and cabin.
    It will be obvious in photos on this post, where there are no blocks under the sleeper.

All of the holes that had been put in the boat over the last 53 years (I'm guessing she's a '69 model) for things like bimini bows and covers had to be attended to, Ground out the gelcoat to bare glass, tape over the hole on the underside, epoxy glue fill the hole and then epoxy glass over the hole. Afterwards, apply epoxy bog (microballoons mix) and then fair.

IMG_2277.jpg IMG_2285.jpg IMG_2284.jpg

IMG_2287.jpg IMG_2276.jpg

While I had the tools out, I decided to fit the instrument console that I had moulded earlier, but found a few small problems. To make it work, I needed to cut out all of the bulkhead behind the console to access everything on/in the new console, and to hinge a piece of the removed bulkhead back in place to finish the cabin off nicely on the inside:

IMG_2282.jpg IMG_2283.jpg

When the console is fixed in place, it will look like it was supposed to be there:

IMG_2275.jpg

When I originally made the instrument console, I wasn't thinking past my nose, and I forgot to put a backing in place for the sounder mounting, so I added one. It looks aweful now, but when it's all glassed and faired in, it will look factory. Me thinks...
    IMG_2278.jpg

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Had a bit of a play with the epoxy bog over the past couple of days:

IMG_2304.jpg IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg IMG_2311.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg

That's the 2nd application of epoxy and micro balloons.
    One more should do it, then high-build time.

Giddyup your posts are with out a doubt the most anticipated for me on this forum... really makes the mind think haha.
    Much respect, cheers.

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

With the good run of weather that we've had over the past few days, I was able to finish the bogging and get some high-build onto the little Haines.

Before:
    IMG_2321.jpg

After:
    IMG_2324.jpg IMG_2323.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't realise that the top of the actual cabin in front of the screen was covered in micro-cracks, so a lot of the roof gelcoat had to be ground off and the structure epoxy glassed. I chose to go ahead with applying the high-build to the rest of the cabin and deck and I'll bring the cabin top upto the same level in due course.

The deck and cabin actually came up pretty well.
    I'm really happy with the new instrument/helm console, and it shouldn't take too much to get it all prepped and ready for top coat.
    Then I can have a play with the gunwhale rubber.
    That will be interesting...
    Last edited by giddyup58; 13-02-2022 at 06:23 PM. Reason: picture missing

How ya going to do the gunwhale rubber Giddy ? old school, mix up a brew, or Sika ?
    It's one of my last jobs to do on mine, been procrastinating........

Col

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    How ya going to do the gunwhale rubber Giddy ? old school, mix up a brew, or Sika ?
    It's one of my last jobs to do on mine, been procrastinating........

Col
    Hi Col.

I've used Sikaflex in the past, but its pretty evil stuff to clean off the paint/gelcoat and lots is needed to hold the rubber on. Very hard to do cleanly on your own.

Poly bog is cheap and the factories did it that way, but I've never tried to do it on my own. I'm thinking that the bog will go off too fast and I won't be able to tape it down square quickly enough.

Believe it or not, as an experiment, I used liquid nails (the high grip one), on the little 14' Haines I did a couple of years ago and that worked fine. I actually thought it was it was better than the sika. Sika always has give (and is stupidly expensive), but the Liquid Nails goes rock hard, much like the poly bog, giving the ridges in the slot of the rubber something to grab onto, and you get a reasonable time befor it goes off to square it all up.

I can't vouch for the durability of the liquid nails, but logic would indicate that it's a permenant solution, unless it dissolves in saly water...

/////////////////////