Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Haines Hunter V19C rebuild

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Haines Hunter V19C rebuild

Hi all.

Got a little bit done in the last couple of weeks.

The crappy boat cover ripped to bits, so a trip to Bunnings saw this $15 tarp as the new cover. Works a treat, but would be better if 2m wider and 3m longer...
    IMG_1195.jpg

Tabbed in a couple more stringers and stripped out the cabin. Bunk bulkhead gone, keel and stringers forward of cabin bulkhead left there for the time being to hold the shape, followed by a nearly 3 hour grind...
    IMG_1202.jpg

Next, I dry fitted the cabin bulkhead to see if it all fitted properly, and I was a bit surprised to find that the door surrounds will not line up with the centre stringers:
    IMG_1206.jpg IMG_1207.jpg

Turns out that the cabin top/dashboard moulding is 25mm wider on the stb'd side than the port, which explains why the door way is offset to the left.
    Can't do anything about it - those are the boats bones, but after much deliberation, I have decided not to run a lock-up cabin, but rather to have a cut away bulkhead. At the end of the day, it's still just a little 18' boat (down the centre line), and the full bulkhead is a bit claustrophobic for my taste...

I fully glassed the bulkheads off the boat, and the next job is to start getting the cabin together.
    The cabin stringers and keel need to disappear, another grind and clean out so the glass will stick, then lots of fabricating and glassing.
    The you beaut glass turned up earlier today, so, weather permitting, lots of progress ahead...

Giddy were u getting the choppy/DB backed cloth from Fibre Finish? They have been out of stock quiet a while now, try this company in Sydney Colan Australia they actually stitch cloth in house they are near me and when i drop in there u can see the big stitching machinery in operation quiet impresive

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Giddy were u getting the choppy/DB backed cloth from Fibre Finish? They have been out of stock quiet a while now, try this company in Sydney Colan Australia they actually stitch cloth in house they are near me and when i drop in there u can see the big stitching machinery in operation quiet impresive
    Thanks for the heads up gazza, but my roll finally turned up.
    I'll keep Colan in mind for next time.

I think its a good idea to forgo the full bulkhead and cabin door..

But if you really want to make it so it can be closed off sometimes you could use sailtrack and /or presstuds and have an upholsterer make you something up with zippered panels that are easily removeable.....

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

A bit of progress.

IMG_1213.jpg
    I cleaned out the stringers and keel from the cabin and prepped 2 new bulkheads - front collision and the front of cabin sole. The bigger one was glassed off the boat. I also set up new stringer continuations.
    The stringer continuations form the basis of the bunks, so that was a pretty straight forward job. Important to keep everything level.

Glassed in the stringers:
    IMG_1217.jpg

Fitted a new floor under the V of the berths to mount a marine WC.
    IMG_1218.jpg

When I "deconstructed" the cabin, I was careful to keep the bunk tops as complete as possible to save scribing time later.
    They fitted pretty well:
    IMG_1220.jpg

That cleared up everything in my head, so I got busy with under bunk shelves and cabin floor. All parts were glassed both sides and are now glassed in.
    IMG_1226.jpg

Todays job is to cut out and fit the bunk tops.

The greatest made plans of mice and men...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausfish Silver Member

Quite happy with the week-end's progress.

I used 1/2" marine ply for the V berth tops. Scribed and fitted.
    Happy with that so glassed both sides.

Got keen, pulled out the drop saw, and made up the lands for the bunk top inspection hatches, epoxied in place and I was very please to find that the glue was dry to touch within 3 hours.
    The V berth tops are just temporarily screwed in place, but the hassle of actually building them is over.
    They just need to be glued and glassed into place.
    IMG_1228.jpg

I then turned my attention to the bulkhead problem, bit the bullet and cut 50% of it away.
    IMG_1227.jpg

Of course, I have kept the offcut, so it can always be reinstated if I get a better idea...

That won't take long, but I really want to get the cockpit floor down, so I can redesign the dashboard.

With that in mind, I gave the cockpit a good clean out so I can get the stringers fully glassed, (now that my "good" glass has turned up), and get everything levelled so the floor either side of the central fuel tank hatch can go down:
    IMG_1229.jpg

These old hooers have no space for modern electronics either on the instrument binnacle or on the dashboard. It really is a horrible design, but hey, back in the day, no-one knew any better.

The biggest problem is the silly cabin hatch. It takes up 50% of the dash. There is literally nowhere to mount a decent sized GPS/Sounder.
    So I have to give that some thought, which is stopping me from doing anything with the drivers side bulkhead. I'm tending towards getting rid of the hatch and reinstating a full width dash top.
    The port side bulkhead fiberglass moulding will have to be cut down to probably 1/2 the existing depth - probably level with the bottom of the hatch in the photo 2 above.
    I'll have to jig around with the partial bulkhead again to make it look right, but I definitely think that the boat will be better for it...

I'm thinking to extend the instrument binnacle aft which will increase the depth of it's face, giving room to fit a 9" screen. Hopefully.
    Then I can remount the helm at a better angle and do something similar to what I put in the Mustang 24 to give room for switches and "stuff".
    It's just a hazy idea at the moment, but it is starting to come into focus.

But before I can do that, I need the floor down so I can fit a seat and take it from there...

More soon...

Thank God for a decent rebuild thread(that hasn't been hacked by someone). Looks like your moving along nicely. The thing about rebuilds is that there always seems to be opportunity to change things as you go along. Good luck on your final decision, looking forward to more.

Hey giddyup, loving your rebuild mate. Feel your pain on the cabin hatch. Back in the old days they would never imagined the average fisho mounting 2x10-16in screens in their boats and electronics packages north of 25k. Could probably have bought a full BMT package for that back when the hull was made.

I like the idea of getting rid of the hatch. If you get your helm/deck lay out right so that all your kit is accessible in good storage spots, then the amount of time you spend crouching to get in the cabin should be minimal and the amount of time spent looking at a new beaut sounder should be much more.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Ausfish Silver Member

Play was abandoned because of rain today, but I couldn't help myself as I was obsessing about the dash and the bulkhead...

After a couple of hours (yes, it took that long), I came up with this:

IMG_1231.jpg IMG_1237.jpg IMG_1234.jpg

Dead easy mould to make and there is plenty of room for everything.
    "X" marks the spot on the 2nd picture is for a 9" Lowrance to be flush fitted.
    The circle is for the helm unit. Engine gauges will fit easily on the flat where my fingers are (for scale), and VHF and switches will fit on the front face.

I could probably reinstate the port side bulkhead and keep the cabin separate, as there is now plenty of room to mount everything, but I'm liking the open-ness with the partial bulkheads.
    Have to remember, these old Haines's are only 18' down the centre line. Still just a little boat...
    In any event, I think the hatch may well stay. To get rid of it to look factory is a lot of work and taking the comings away from around the hatch will weaken the cabin a lot.
    And, with the hatch, I wont have to bend...
    No idea what I will end up doing. Which is part of the fun of restoring old boats!

I cant see your attachments...

but 1 idea for mounting sounders where space is limited is to use swing arm mounts....

There is a current thread in case you havent already seen it...

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...81#post1683881

I fitted one for a 2nd sonar/gps unit and have been really impressed with the versatility of it..

Scott

That design will give loads of space to hide all your cabling and connections. I like it, the only thing i would incorporate/change with mine is possibly some vents on the side to help with ventilation. Modern electronics can get quite hot.
    Edit:
    Mine has 2 x 7" units
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Wet week in Brisbane, but got a couple of niggling jobs done.

I supported the keel of the boat and spread the load about amongst the stringers so could pull the rotten keel out.
    Didn't take too long to get it out, but that did lead to the last big grind. Nearly 3 hours, but it's all done now.

That gave the impetus needed to finish glassing in the stringers properly. I had fitted them somewhat temporarily as I was straightening the hull.

IMG_1240.jpg IMG_1241.jpg

That leaves only the inner starboard stringer to be glassed full height, then I can get onto fitting and glassing the new keel and fitting the fuel tank enclosure floor.

When that's done, extend the stringers to the transom, then get the cockpit floor down.

I should then get the V berths glassed in, and make a decision regarding the cabin bulkhead.
    And I should also mold a new dash and fit it.

OR, I can start on the pod, which will be a nice change... But I'll definitely get the floor down1st.

I'd aim to make your dash pod as big as possible. Electronics are only getting bigger!

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Had a bit of a play in the little 19C Haines today.

When we left off, I'd just finished the keel grind.
    I managed to laminate 2 pieces of 18mm ply together to form the keel timber, and it was dry enough today to scribe and fit them.

IMG_1248.jpg

Here it is, glassed in and waiting for the fuel tank enclosure floor.
    I also got the 18mm doublers epoxied between the stringers where the seat pedestals (if I use pedestals), should go. Both doublers received 3 coats of "everdure" (epoxy timber sealant) before being epoxy glued in place.

This was done after spending quite sometime with the plane, grinder and electronic level getting the stringers to the exact height to facilitate putting the cockpit floor down.

I prepared the fuel tank locker floor from 9mm marine ply which I scribed and fitted and then everdured the underside as well. It doesn't need massive amounts of strength, so I didn't glass it.
    Quite surprising how much the bare wood sucks up on the 1st coat, and how little on subsequent coats:
    IMG_1249.jpg

The top of the fuel tank recess will get a layer of 225csm and 600DB. That will be more than strong enough.

I managed to get it epoxy glued into place, and given that it lands on the hull on top of and behind a stringer recess, I had to weight the floor down:
    IMG_1250.jpg

So if I get a chance, tomorrow I think I'd like to get that floor glassed in and continue the stringers to the transom and do something clever back there regarding a bilge sump.

Scribing and test fitting the cockpit floors would be nice, and getting the floors glassed/sealed underneath would be good too.
    While I'm thinking about it, the floors probably don't need to be glassed underneath, given that the stringers are barely 300mm apart, the floor is 1/2" marine and will be glassed on top.
    Epoxy timber preserver is a lot more waterproof than a layer of choppy polyester glass, and all we want to do is to waterproof the underside of the ply...

More soon, hopefully.

Don’t forget to check for holes in the hull before glassing the floor lol.