Thread: G'day, I'm back and have a question regarding Electric motors!

G'day, I'm back and have a question regarding Electric motors!

Well, G'day, G'day, G'day!

Happy new year to all!

We have finally relocated back to Queensland to the beautiful Wide Bay region after 8 years away. So its great to be back!

Hope everyone is well!

I'm still lamenting the sale of my beloved Flamin Riptide, but that is water under the bridge as they say.

I have picked up a very nice older Blackfin 15 CC with a 60hp Johnson, which is a cracker of an outfit and perfect for poking around the waters of the sandy straits and Wide Bay...while it is a bit tippy at rest, it will carve up the bay chop with ease.

I did a search but couldn't turn up what I was looking for. I'm looking at adding an electric for trolling Monduran and anchoring on reefy bits...getting a bit lazy to pull anchor these days... and I'm keen to hear of your experiences of a Minn Kota ipilot, Motorguide Xi5 spot lock and Waternake Geo-spot, and experiences of anyone using the Haswing Cayman with anchor lock.

Looking for a comparison if anyone has done it before?

Hopefully I will be able to start getting out and into it soon.

Thanks in advance for reading and posting your experiences

cheers

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

Re: G'day, I'm back and have a question regarding Electric motors!

I looked into haswing months back and found out dealers were having problems with parts for warranty something along the lines of no parts being kept in oz for warranty, that is what i read apparently haswing stopped brining in stock and it was a order in on a case bases

I like the haswing one model suits fresh and salt wea r as minnkota do two seperate models in what i think is to make more money from cheaper parts on fresh water motors

Haswing also provides amassive range of motors where as minnkota au only have a few from what i seen they stop around that 100-120lb model unless other motors were hidden on there site.. in the usa they have a bigger range than aus

My son has a Minn Kota that's been trouble free for a good while now, I think they are OK, probably most of them will be fine.

I've got a 55lb Motorguide xi5, 12 volt, that I've had for probably 3 years now. Zero problems. It's on a 3.7 m Nomad. Has plenty of fancy functions but I only use spotlock and jog (move 10 feet or so in whatever direction you press the arrow). A mate has had the same on the same size tinny for a few more years. Zero issues.

Another mate had the equivalent minkota on a 14'6" Abalone. It struggled when the wind really blew, especially when it blew with the tide. He has had remote control issues.

Another mate who is now a pro guide has gone through a few minkotas over a decade but keeps going back to them, so obviously thinks he's onto a good thing.

As with outboards, I'd pick who will give you the best after sales service and go there.

Cheers
    Craig

Hello Rhys

55 lb thrust should be OK. The Blackfin isn't half cabin or high profile for windage?

I've had a MG for about 6 years. It goes alright. MK and MG are pretty much on a par with maybe the MK LCD r/c giving more info on what's going on.

MG have a little habit of the shielded wire going from the head unit down to the control base. The curly cord.

Broken shield internally on the head unit from continual flexing causes unit to lose satellite intermittently and that causes dropouts when on spotlock. Mine and a couple of MG units have had that happen. Haven't heard if MK does same.

Replacement plug-in "jesus box" is about $600.

Apart from that both have very much improved spotlock/anchorlock tolerances since both fitted the extra digital compass.

Don't know anything about Haswing.

Flames on the Blackfin yet?

Welcome back Rhys.

I know nothing about your question, so ............... Howd'y

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

nah Greg, going in stealth mode this time
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Ausfish Platinum Member

We've had our MK for a while now, it was the second version of the "spot lock" Riptides. It hasn't faulted in any way except the battery door broke it's clips, was easy to replace with a newy from BCF, but then the clips on the housing broke, so now it's taped on. I've tried to get a new one, and not have to pay drug money for them ($400 approx just for the remote) but unable to find one. Other than that, it fluffs around a bit when on spot lock, but the new ones apparently don't do that anymore with their extra technology.
    Cheers
    Corry

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    We've had our MK for a while now, it was the second version of the "spot lock" Riptides. It hasn't faulted in any way except the battery door broke it's clips, was easy to replace with a newy from BCF, but then the clips on the housing broke, so now it's taped on. I've tried to get a new one, and not have to pay drug money for them ($400 approx just for the remote) but unable to find one. Other than that, it fluffs around a bit when on spot lock, but the new ones apparently don't do that anymore with their extra technology.
    They have got better that is for sure - I've run MKs since 2006 ...... the first 3 had issues ( at least a couple of times each) , My previous one was OK except that the remote played up . The current one faultless after 3 years (touch wood)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks for all replies...cheers
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Yes, good to hear you are still kicking around.