Thread: Water depth

Water depth

I'm boating in pretty shallow river upstream. There are some areas less than 2m in depth. Have actually hit sand on a kayak in a couple of spots.

My boat's draught is draft .75m with 2 adults onboard.

What do people use to make sure they don't run aground?

I've got the navionics app installed on my phone but in some shallow areas the depth is not as detailed, i.e. it just states 0-2m. The thing is it costs $30 a year.

The other option is using a fish finder but they're actually lagging readings as the transducer is at the back of the boat.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Re: Water depth

Mate, I've spent m life in shallow waters, mostly in aluminium tinnies. Started years ago without sounders or GPS, 40 years ago, and still nowadays but with the 'benefit' of sounders and GPS... simple rule, go SLOW. Sneak into the waters with GOOD SUNGLASSES (UV glare, so need polarised lens) on so you can 'see' trouble. If water is murky and not see clearly, I lift my motor up into the highest position and motor slowly into the areas...

With sounders, you get the readings and can then take note of when your front hull bottoms out (noting depth for future reference), and can then easily back out before running aground... now with GPS, you have your track line so know where you back out and so where it's 'too shallow'...

In my current boat, I have a Garmin EchoMAP sounder / GPS which as the 'quick contours'.I have it running all the time... this feature actually makes it own maps into your chart, with contour lines etc, so you have BOTH the updated detailed map when you go back AND your track lines.

I believe the Lowrance units have a similar 'mapping feature' but not sure which models etc.

Regardless of tech, going SLOW and creeping in is THE solution. If you also flick lures, you can fish your way in so as to not disturb the flathead lying up on the flats.

Using an electric motor would work too, but I don't have one, use one. I just motor up slowly. Sometimes fishing on way in / up, other times, just slow pace in.
    When my wife calls, tell her I'm in "Ah Me Ting"

Ah Me Ting = 2019 Quintrex 420 Renegade (Tohatsu 50hp 2 Stroke)

also not factoring in tides that 2m could be 0.5 leaving you stranded at low tide

there is nothing you can do in murky or clear shallow water but go slow and keep your eyes open and learn the location through experience

Use a paddle or oar as a depth guage

I would buy a punt and a small 4hp engine just for shallow creeks on a small flat botton tinny/punt with a 4hp the prop would be no deeper than 40cm i would think and if u hit a log the bank or a rock you'll just sheer the pin no damage done

I would definatly avoid taking a fibreglass 16ft+ boat up into 0-2m range for me here a tide change is 2m or mayve just over it on a king tide (full moon)