Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: buying used yamaha F100 four stroke, need opinions

Re: buying used yamaha F100 four stroke, need opinions

Solid engine family as a rule mate. I would look at doing some basic stuff straight away - service,all filters and oil, anodes, impeller, thermostat then look to the fuel system. Have the VST cleaned and filter replaced then do the injectors. Only issue I had with my F115 was the oil pump leaking, shit of a job, power head off to replace oil pump and get shaft speedi-sleeved.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    What a great way to start the new year....

make sure all your safety gear is in order and get amongst it...

enjoy..
    thanks guys, disordely, anaconda still have their sale on, so i'm off this morning to get new flares, fire exstinguisher, gas cans for life jackets and a few other things. I'll start a new thread and as a few more questions

Get the right flare kit there are inshore and offshore flare kits plus parachute flares for offshore

Quote Originally Posted by charlsie View Post
    thanks guys, disordely, anaconda still have their sale on, so i'm off this morning to get new flares, fire exstinguisher, gas cans for life jackets and a few other things. I'll start a new thread and as a few more questions
    I'm up for some new flares also so thanks for the heads up. Still think flares are a bit of a joke, they can't ship them to you due to being explosives, yet they are AOK alright for marine use...IE boat over turned at night for what ever reason, petrol seeping from tank and slippery hands and you drop the flare...at least they might see the boom!

That's just how the laws are, just go to a shop to buy them, not everything has to be purchased on line, and a decent shop will be similar prices anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    That's just how the laws are, just go to a shop to buy them, not everything has to be purchased on line, and a decent shop will be similar prices anyway.
    You missed my point...not about buying online at all....ah never mind

Quote Originally Posted by fishing111 View Post
    I'm up for some new flares also so thanks for the heads up. Still think flares are a bit of a joke, they can't ship them to you due to being explosives, yet they are AOK alright for marine use...IE boat over turned at night for what ever reason, petrol seeping from tank and slippery hands and you drop the flare...at least they might see the boom!
    Hey Fish your meant to hold the flare above your head and not look directly at the buning material, hopefully your not ahard core rocker with long hair once thats a light it may be your SOS lol

my club had RMS do a flare use demonstration and they are not to mucked about with.

They burn very hot and will likely go through both aluminum and fiberglass.

Read and become familiar with the instructions - hold them outside the boat

Quote Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
    Solid engine family as a rule mate. I would look at doing some basic stuff straight away - service,all filters and oil, anodes, impeller, thermostat then look to the fuel system. Have the VST cleaned and filter replaced then do the injectors. Only issue I had with my F115 was the oil pump leaking, shit of a job, power head off to replace oil pump and get shaft speedi-sleeved.
    thanks greg, these are the type of things i need to know about

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had the Yammie 100 on my 2005 Haines Hunter 520 Prowler. Great donk with no issues. Long as it has been maintained happy days.
    Matilda

I’ve a pair of old welders gloves in boat for flare use. Obviously if boat overturns or similar may be hard to get hold of gloves, but if I can I’ll use them, stuff getting burnt. Hey that’s just me and I know they are not required.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

start again maybe
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 04-01-2021 at 12:23 PM.

you might want to read up on how flares work they get used in full sunlight as well and there are many occasions they might save you .
    flares are not unsafe they will just sit in their plastic bag till a human touches them, that is where commonsense reading instructions and using them gets you use to them.

i guarantee apart from your instant loss of smell scenario you would know if you have a fuel leak sufficient to ignite from a flare activation and would love to have the things in your hands when the helicopter or waterways boat is going back and forwards looking for you

the government and nearly every boating jurisdiction in the world mandates flares in safety kits, there's nothing stopping you having all the safety gear you want.
    my offshore boats had a epirb and a plb attached to each jacket, and i used the plbs for hiking mountain bike riding kayaking 4x4ing and everything else, all just parts of a safety tool kit.
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 04-01-2021 at 12:22 PM.

Flares only burn for 30 seconds yesthey do burn incredibly hot but i picture it no different than lighting a large match of course your not going to sit down and light the flare in your lap you'd be bloody crazy

I have never open my packsof flares because they must remain dry and the sealed bag they come in is handy for storage and if u jump overboard they'll remain dry if submerged or splashed

And what moron would light a flare if his boat was full of fuel ? For starters I said an overturned boat, but thanks for the question and over exaggeration! Lets for arguments sake say it was night or low light conditions...you know ...when your supposed to use a flare in an emergency situation. Boat could have hit anything semi-submerged split hull and tank leaking. The crew could let off a flare and be unaware of leaking fuel for a myriad of reasons, panicked crew saw something in the distance and lets it off, loss of smell...etc etc or captain injured and a child has to do not knowing any better....see my point here ? Yeah the chances are slim of it happening, but you hear of those slim chances happening quite regularly across all industries with coroners reports and recommendations which lead to legislation changes.

Personally I think the landscape has changed from yesteryear and there are better options available to us now than carrying pyrotechnic flares such as electronic flares...or better still instead of carrying the flares I would rather put my money towards a PLB to keep on you always. Flares are $70-$80 bucks to be replaced every 3 years. Put that money towards a GPS equipped PLB and you would buy it and it’s got a 10 year battery. So you can have your flares that burn for bugger all time and hope that someone sees them, or have something bloody serious at your disposal which WILL HELP YOU! Don’t know how many boaters I’ve heard over the years whose EPIRB was stuck in the cradle under the upturned boat!

commonsense prevents most problems...Not even going to touch that!

Am pretty’s yes they do more food in saving people then they ever have hurting people....no doubt, but better alternatives available IMO.

If the above warrants you to totally delete my post ....then delete my whole bloody account!!! All the shit i've seen on here and you draw the line at this post...give me a bloody break!!!

cancel my account please!!!