Thread: Turning a tiller RIB into a centre side console? No electrics on engine, manual start

Turning a tiller RIB into a centre side console? No electrics on engine, manual start

One of our boats is a little 12ft AB RIB with a false floor, glass RIB with Hyaplon tubes.

The 25hp Merc is one of the blue ones, all manual, no electrics capable.

What type of steering would work best for these types of engines? Given the console if mounted on the tubes, is not something you want to put a lot of weight on, needs to be something fairly easy to turn.

Likely will be putting a jockey console in however, so this likely will not be an issue.

Any ideas appreciated. Also installing a jockey or centre console to a false floor, would you just screw it in and apply silicone to stop water getting into the buoyancy chamber below?

Cheers

Re: Turning a tiller RIB into a centre side console? No electrics on engine, manual s

Sorry what Im meaning to ask is, converting a tiller steer to helm steer. Should I worry about hydraulic or is that over kill, and just go with rotary?

Re: Turning a tiller RIB into a centre side console? No electrics on engine, manual s

Is that you Gazza?

Fed i have one account..

This is a new level of crazy. Why? Not much room left if you don't tiller steer a 12 foot rib! I think I would take my medication and rethink it :-)
    But if you do it, please put up pics and best of luck
    Muz

You take Meds Muzza? Best to stay off here with that level of Crazy lol

Nah consoles go fine in 12-13ft ribs. Plenty of room for stepping around and spearing. The key is using one designed for the size. Zodiac for example have both a Jockey and a centre console which they will fit to the plain Zodiac Cadet 12.

But decided the tubes werent looking great.

All good, I just remembered finding a small centre console tender washed up and smashed on our local beach a year ago, probly washed off some big arse boat cruising up the coast. It looked pretty cool. I been looking at different ribs like True Kit to throw on top of me camper and thought no way a centre in them but different rigs take different things.
    And yep 3 green medications in a can just taken :-)
    Cheers
    Muz